Patient Comments: Indigestion - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your indigestion?

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My dyspepsia symptoms are stomach pain and belching, bloating, and cramping under my ribs in front. Sometimes I have nausea. It lasted last night for 13 hours! At its worst, I also get heart palpitations and lightheaded. Nothing relieves it. I have been on Nexium for two months and at first it seemed to help. Then, in the last week, it has come back stronger than ever. It kind of scares me. I wonder how bad it can get.

Comment from: EW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My dyspepsia symptoms are nausea after eating, then fullness and burping. This fullness and burping can go on for hours. I also sometimes have air that comes out of my esophagus, but not as a burp, as a noise. I cannot control this. I am unable to lie on my left side until late at night when my stomach is empty because of this air/noise. I have been on Prilosec for four years now. It helps me get through the day, but the symptoms do not go away.

Comment from: brnbrklyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My dyspepsia consists of chest pain, abdominal discomfort, and mild upper back pain, much like gas in the back. I also have water brash at night (excess saliva) and some mild nausea. Basically, I'm a mess. I take Prevacid, but it takes weeks to kick in.

Comment from: debbieo32, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My experience with dyspepsia was a tightness directly below the sternum typically accompanied by mild nausea and belching even when doctor recommended diet is followed. The feeling recurs, but not after any particular food. It will linger for days at a time. Stress does seem to aggravate it.

Comment from: MB, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

With my dyspepsia, my belching episodes last for hours. They are extremely uncomfortable and can leave my throat sore. They often occur at night, and I have seen no correlation with diet. I have tried eliminating different foods, but they still occur.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

With my dyspepsia, I basically have a feeling of a full stomach, occasional cramping, frequent nausea and an increased body temperature.

Published: July 25

My dyspepsia symptoms are of two different types: My most common are: pain in my stomach, such as an acid-burning feeling, but without any GERD symptoms or esophageal symptoms of any kind. This pain is always accompanied by or followed shortly by, trapped gas and bloating. These symptoms are temporarily relieved best by Mylanta. My less common are: intense episodes of cramping, which are relieved by Levsin. At its worst, this particular symptom is sometimes accompanied by sweating followed by a drop in blood pressure and feeling faint. These symptoms are relieved by lying down and also massaging the stomach.

Comment from: Dano, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had symptoms of GERD, IBS and dyspepsia for about 2 1/2 years. It came on suddenly and never went away. The worst problem is the constant need to belch and relieve the pressure in my chest or back. I became very freaked out and still do with the sharp pains in my chest. Usually the burping will help, but it's very annoying and embarrassing. It is interfering with my life. I have seen some doctors and had an endoscopy, which showed nothing but upset stomach.

Comment from: Georgia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have experienced excessive bloating and stomach discomfort for about 3 years, but only when I began having pain in my ribcage, did I start to seek some answers. I was so relieved to read of Kitty's symptoms (in this column). Prior to reading this, I had found no other mention made of pain in the ribs. I began taking probiotics immediately, and my pain and bloating were gone in two days! I now have my life back.

Indigestion - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your dyspepsia?
Indigestion - Causes Question: If known, discuss the cause of your dyspepsia.
Indigestion - Experience Question: Please share your experience with indigestion.
Indigestion - Complications Question: What complications you have experienced with indigestion?