Patient Comments: Indigestion - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your indigestion?

Comment from: debbieo32, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My experience with dyspepsia was a tightness directly below the sternum typically accompanied by mild nausea and belching even when doctor recommended diet is followed. The feeling recurs, but not after any particular food. It will linger for days at a time. Stress does seem to aggravate it.

Comment from: MB, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

With my dyspepsia, my belching episodes last for hours. They are extremely uncomfortable and can leave my throat sore. They often occur at night, and I have seen no correlation with diet. I have tried eliminating different foods, but they still occur.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

With my dyspepsia, I basically have a feeling of a full stomach, occasional cramping, frequent nausea and an increased body temperature.

Published: July 25

My dyspepsia symptoms are of two different types: My most common are: pain in my stomach, such as an acid-burning feeling, but without any GERD symptoms or esophageal symptoms of any kind. This pain is always accompanied by or followed shortly by, trapped gas and bloating. These symptoms are temporarily relieved best by Mylanta. My less common are: intense episodes of cramping, which are relieved by Levsin. At its worst, this particular symptom is sometimes accompanied by sweating followed by a drop in blood pressure and feeling faint. These symptoms are relieved by lying down and also massaging the stomach.

Comment from: Dano, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had symptoms of GERD, IBS and dyspepsia for about 2 1/2 years. It came on suddenly and never went away. The worst problem is the constant need to belch and relieve the pressure in my chest or back. I became very freaked out and still do with the sharp pains in my chest. Usually the burping will help, but it's very annoying and embarrassing. It is interfering with my life. I have seen some doctors and had an endoscopy, which showed nothing but upset stomach.

Comment from: Georgia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have experienced excessive bloating and stomach discomfort for about 3 years, but only when I began having pain in my ribcage, did I start to seek some answers. I was so relieved to read of Kitty's symptoms (in this column). Prior to reading this, I had found no other mention made of pain in the ribs. I began taking probiotics immediately, and my pain and bloating were gone in two days! I now have my life back.

Comment from: Louise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have nausea, pain in my upper stomach between ribs, tiredness and it usually occurs after I eat but not always. Sometimes the pain is tight and radiates to my back. I had my gall bladder and stones removed about 10 years ago.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I frequently have diarrhea for no reason. I have abnormal bowel movements and maybe later in the day I will have so much gas build up and then loose bowels. Maybe loose for two or three more times and discomfort on my right side.

Comment from: JoAnna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have very frequent heartburn like symptoms; pain in the abdomina area (above the navel in the breast bone), feeling of nausea, feeling full early, etc, usually brought on by eating or even drinking water. I have had symptoms for nearly 4 years but off and on, the PPI's do not work. Recently, I have been taking PPI's 2 times per day but none of them have been working on the symptoms.

Comment from: countyguy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I was diagnosed with dyspepsia 4 years ago. My symptoms mainly include nausea for hours at a time, stomach gas and sharp pain. I tried many pharmaceutical medications for it and none of them did anything for me. I did some research and found doctors who recommended medical marajuana. I tried this treatment and found it greatly helped. The nausea goes away as well as the pain, not so much the burping but that I can live with. I am hoping that there are more studies conducted on this treatment so that the government will allow this to be used in the treatment of dyspepsia.

Indigestion - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia - Causes Question: If known, discuss the cause of your dyspepsia.
Dyspepsia - Tests Question: What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia - Complications Question: What complications you have experienced with dyspepsia?