Patient Comments: Indigestion - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your indigestion?

Comment from: missminniesings, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I feel full all the time even when I also feel hungry. A few bites of food make me feel like I have gorged on a lot of food. I feel a lot of pain in the upper part of my stomach, right in the area where my ribs begin to separate. I often feel nauseous and I am very, very bloated. These symptoms are aggravated further by the fact that I am very constipated all the time. A gastroenterologist recommended that I take a "mega-dose" of Milk of Magnesia every day because I was going up to 14 days without a bowel movement this works fine as long as I don't stop taking it. Then I don't go at all again. I have been to a huge number of doctors and am on my 4th gastro-doctor. It is very frustrating when they shrug their shoulders. Further, I am unable to eat any vegetables that are not cooked to mush. Salads are completely out of the question and many cooked veggies are starting to make me hurt as well. I have not been able to eat even a bite of lettuce in over 12 years. I cannot eat apples, bananas or pineapple. Steak often makes my stomach hurt terribly. Forget Chinese or Japanese food!!! I most often eat grilled chicken and salmon...with bread and pasta as my side dishes. The lack of variety is terrible and the diet is definitely not healthy...this is further aggrivated by the fact that I have not been successful in taking vitamin supplements because they will not stay down. I know I am not healthy right now. I am gaining weight...not because I eat that much but because I eat stuff that is really bad for me and my metabolism is getting slower and slower. Exercise might help but I have no energy to do anything. I barely make it to work. Doctors want to put me on many medicines...they tell me I probably have sleep apnea...all I know is I feel terrible...there was no sleep apnea...the medicines they put me on do not help the pain or nausea and only serve to make me really sleepy most of the time. Anyway...I guess I have vented enough...

Comment from: MorrowMail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Two months ago I was hit with a wave of nausea, upper abdominal pain and excessive belching 24/7 and though I tried to modify my diet. It seemed totally unrelated to food or drink. I could roll out of bed in the morning and belch 3 or 4 times just on the way to the restroom. After coffee I did seem to belch more frequently and deeper, but even a sip of tap water could cause the same belching only to a lesser degree. First I was diagnosed w/the H-pylori bacteria so I two 2-weeks worth of strong medication. Felt better, but by day 16 same symptoms back in force. So back to the doctor and 2 weeks ago had my gallbladder removed. Home for recovery and soon same symptoms returned only this time amplified to the nth degree. Today went in and had endoscope and biopsy done. Scope showed normal and biopsy results in a few days. Meanwhile, I am so discouraged. Currently on Prevacid, Carafate, and Reglan which I believe is helping the pain and I'm thankful. The belching persists no matter what. Any shared knowledge on the belching symptom would be most appreciated as I make my living as a full-time public speaker so this one persistent symptom is most troubling.

Comment from: ticktock51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My dyspepsia symptoms include fullness in my abdomen, nausea at times, and deep belching with a foul taste. It feels terrible and lasts for hours. I have used Zantac with some relief. I also use Titralac, which is an antacid. I have used the yogurt Activia, and it is true you do get some relief after the 10 days, but you have to continue it daily. I also have IBS, and I think that causes my symptoms to worsen.

Comment from: Lorrie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 12

Following a total hysterectomy three weeks ago, I have been suffering from dyspepsia following meals, including nausea. I have lost my appetite and am able to eat only very small portions when I do eat. I have post-surgical pain at the incision site, which is lessening every day. I am taking mild laxatives to stimulate my bowels. Before this, I have never had any digestive problems whatsoever. I assume this is a typical reaction following abdominal surgery, but the pain of the constipation can cause nausea and quite a bit of distress. I am an otherwise healthy 76-year-old woman.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My dyspepsia symptoms are stomach pain and belching, bloating, and cramping under my ribs in front. Sometimes I have nausea. It lasted last night for 13 hours! At its worst, I also get heart palpitations and lightheaded. Nothing relieves it. I have been on Nexium for two months and at first it seemed to help. Then, in the last week, it has come back stronger than ever. It kind of scares me. I wonder how bad it can get.

Comment from: EW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My dyspepsia symptoms are nausea after eating, then fullness and burping. This fullness and burping can go on for hours. I also sometimes have air that comes out of my esophagus, but not as a burp, as a noise. I cannot control this. I am unable to lie on my left side until late at night when my stomach is empty because of this air/noise. I have been on Prilosec for four years now. It helps me get through the day, but the symptoms do not go away.

Indigestion - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia - Causes Question: If known, discuss the cause of your dyspepsia.
Dyspepsia - Tests Question: What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia - Complications Question: What complications you have experienced with dyspepsia?