Patient Comments: Dyslexia - Diagnosis

How was your dyslexia diagnosed?

Comment from: 1stTimeMom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My child is 5 and I feel like she has dyslexia. The teachers at her school told me so but as I look at her she spells her words the wrong way, she"s super smart but can"t connect the letter to say the words.

Comment from: matt, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was 6 years old. My teacher said my parents should get me tested because I was really smart, but I couldn't learn to read. My parents took me to an educational psychologist who confirmed that I had dyslexia.

Comment from: 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 13

My grandson had Dyslexia test in 2nd grade was told that he did not have it. And now he is in the sixth grade and the new test shows that he has dyslexia. I feel like crying and feeling bad for him. We need to get help for him.

Comment from: cc success, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

HI, I agree with the person that said that they were glad that they weren't told they had this disability. I had this disability for a long time and didn't know. I just really founding out recently. My parents pushed me and pushed me. Of course I thought how unfair etc. I made me more determined. I have a college degree and my friend reminded me of how important it is to have one. Don't give up and push yourself and whoever you know that has this. I have read up on this subject and knowledge is the best hope for success. Don't give up on yourself or hope. All things are possible to them that believe!!!

Comment from: jenifer, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My name is Jenifer and I'm sure my son has Dyslexia. He is in the fifth grade. He cannot read very well at all, or write very well. He changes numbers and letters around all the time. I can't seem to get any answers anywhere. I have asked the school since he started school and they say we cannot give you a medical diagnosis. He is way behind I feel and he goes to middle school next year. He has an IEP but I feel that the school has really failed him.

Comment from: miss aj, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 28

I am adult who was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was 7. My daughter, who is 8 years old, was diagnosed just a few weeks ago. It seems like I was the only one concerned with my daughter and her dyslexia, as her teacher filled out a form that said she had no concerns about dyslexia, even though she was writing her headings in mirror writing. My daughter had some trouble reading and was put in a reading program at school. She didn't know her left from her right. She was never in trouble for her behavior, still nobody but I was concerned. I think if I didn't have it myself it would not have been picked up at all, which really concerns me. How many other poor children are going through school with untreated dyslexia?

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

For all of you who want the schools to test your child, just put it in writing that you want your child tested for learning disabilities, sign it and date it. This will start your child's timeline. The schools have a limited time period to test and hold meetings. I believe this is law. You need to keep a copy of everything. You have the right to request a copy of the results and receive them 10 days before the IEP meeting. It is best to request this when you submit your letter for testing. Put everything in writing and keep copies. When you go to the meeting make sure you have your notes on your observations and concerns. Bring samples of your child's work and test to the meeting as well. Bring any notes from the teacher about your child that would back up your concerns. This is important for you to share. It is also a good idea that you find an advocate to help your child get the help he or she needs. I have it, my children have it, and my grandchildren have it. I have been working on my credential for special education. The schools that I have dealt with do not test for dyslexia, nor does my grandchildren's doctor.

Dyslexia - Describe Your Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you or your child experienced with dyslexia.
Dyslexia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dyslexia?
Dyslexia - Personal Experience Question: Do you or your child have dyslexia? Please describe what it's like and how you cope.
Dyslexia - Treatment Question: What educational methods or approaches have you or your child used to deal with dyslexia?