Patient Comments: Dyslexia - Diagnosis

How was your dyslexia diagnosed?

Comment from: gigi, 25-34 Female Published: October 19

I was just reading about dyslexia, my son who is six and can read very well and as a matter of fact is among the best students in his class, do well in mathematics but has a big problem with reversal writing (only in numbers, the number 3, 2 and 6) should this be a cause of alarm because I am very worried.

Comment from: Annette, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 29

My son was in a private kindergarten and was getting "frustrated" and "upset" during Language Arts. We thought it was because he has some speech issues and maybe he could not say the sounds he was looking at. (I did not think his speech was that bad) It was only because I had SEVERAL people at the private school write letters about his frustration and possible self esteem issues that I was able to get the public school to test him. He tested VERY intelligent but with a LD. He is now at the public school and receives speech, 2 hours per day with a para-pro in the classroom and an hour out of the class for small group instruction. We also send him to specialized tutoring. He seems much happier and is making improvements. We are going to start first grade in the fall.

Comment from: Dyslexic and proud, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Well I actually got diagnosed with dyslexia at the age of 15. I have always wanted to do great in school and it kills me inside that I'm not a straight A student. To finally have my school say I'm dyslexic was a battle for 7 years. Between me and my mom fighting the school. Many of my teachers saw it but they couldn't say anything because I wasn't formally diagnosed." Many teachers called me lazy and said I didn't try hard enough but little did they know I was working harder than anyone else. So anyone else who hasn't been diagnosed please don't give up it is just a hard fight and if anyone says Dyslexia is the inability to read please correct them because that is exactly what my child study team told me and because I had a reading level I couldn't be dyslexic .

Comment from: nana, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 08

My grandson started having trouble reading while in kindergarten. He failed the second grade. He is now in the 3rd grade and is still reading like a first grader. His teachers have finally decided that he is dyslexic. They have submitted the application for testing. I don't know why they waited so long to do this. It should have been done while he was in the 2nd grade the first time. Hopefully, he will be able to catch up to where he's supposed to be.

Comment from: p, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 23

Just found out today I have dyslexia. Took a memory test. It explains why I had so much trouble and had to work so hard in school 40 years ago. But you know, I worked around it and became very successful. Can't read or write well, have trouble looking for words sometimes while speaking but I excell at math. I am glad I wasn't diagnoised back then, because I might have limited myself. Life is full of adventure no matter what doctors or teacher say you have YOU CAN DO IT.

Comment from: lizard, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

I was in university before my dyslexia was diagnosed. I was performing poorly in my chemistry class and tested me on suspension of dyslexia. The disorder never held me back and I over compensated for it throughout my school years.

Comment from: Flo, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 26

It helps some people to capitalize B's and D's, maybe it will help to capitalize P's and Q's. I am just beginning to learn about dyslexia. I am a teacher. I would really like to learn more about this so I can help my students who have this.

Comment from: Aims25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I read and wrote upside down. At 32 I still can read upside down fairly well. I spelled a lot of words out of order. Who and how still get me, saw and was, are another set. I have a kid that wrote all numbers except 1, 8 and 0 backwards.

Dyslexia - Describe Your Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you or your child experienced with dyslexia.
Dyslexia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dyslexia?
Dyslexia - Personal Experience Question: Do you or your child have dyslexia? Please describe what it's like and how you cope.
Dyslexia - Treatment Question: What educational methods or approaches have you or your child used to deal with dyslexia?