Patient Comments: Dyslexia - Diagnosis

How was your dyslexia diagnosed?

Comment from: cnorman, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 13

I have a nine year girl that we just found out she is dyslexia I have been telling the school she had problems but they didn't want to listen to me and now that she is in second grade they decided to test her and sure enough she has it. Now I have to get her some help with it

Comment from: c90213, 7-12 (Caregiver) Published: February 18

My son has dyslexia. He is in grade 3 but he is not far enough behind that they will get him tested and I cannot afford it. His dyslexia is very mild and I always knew there was something there even though the teachers kept saying he'll grow out of it. He cannot tell the difference between b and d, p and q, and numbers like 3 or 5 or S or Z he often writes them the wrong way. He cannot tell the difference between left and right and does not know his months of the year and still has trouble with knowing what day of the week it is and what the following day is, telling time for him is very hard in terms of the passing days. He had a lot of trouble reading from day one and his school gets extra one on one help for those problem readings. It did help a lot. He is doing pretty good now and works hard to keep up but my problem is because he is not two grades behind I cannot get the help or testing via the school. His behavior and depression are much better now too but I don't want him to fall too far behind again and not sure what to expect as he gets older and school gets harder. What can I do?

Comment from: emily13, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I wasn't diagnosed with Dyslexia until the 7th grade!! I hated taking the class for it, but it really helped me out, my mom even saw a difference in my English grades. SO don't hold off.

Comment from: ayush, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 04

I'm a mother of a boy age 4 and since he started school since age 3. I've been noticing his hand writing and the way he does his spelling. It's really horrible and he is always confused between the letters b and d and numbers 2,3,5,and 9. He can't even write his name properly. It's always up-side down.

Comment from: Lbaylon, 25-34 Female Published: September 26

My son is 7 years old. Since he started school I noticed that he had trouble with his reading and writing. He flips the letters "b" and "d" and the words "on" and "no". I brought this up to his kinder teacher and she said that was normal for his age and that he would grow out of it. Then in first grade I noticed he was still having problems and was almost a whole grade level behind in reading. My poor son and I at this point were very frustrated, so I brought this concern to his first grade teacher who told me once again that he would grow out of it and maybe if he was held back a year it would help him. At this point I took it upon myself to take him to get tested outside of school and the specialist diagnosed my son with dyslexia. Now my son is in the beginning of his second grade year, and I am still having problems getting him in to SPED or any other programs to help him out. He is still struggling and behind. I feel like the school system is failing my son and it has already had an effect on his attitude and self-esteem. And as a parent it hurts me to see my son this way.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 12

I have 4 children so I knew there was an issue in preschool when my daughter, the youngest, couldn't sort Valentine's presents by matching names on the envelopes to the candy bags like the other children. I called the early childhood coordinator at her school, who did an observation and put her on the watch list. When she started kindergarten, she failed areas of the screening. I made a formal request for an educational evaluation at her fall conference. By December she was on an IEP for reading, math, and speech and language, and they just added writing. She also qualified for a free literacy and math program for 5 weeks this summer. I'm very happy with the help she is getting. It is your right, and the law, to request and receive an evaluation through your public school.

Comment from: Angela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I was tested when I was in elementary school. We used a picture and I had to make the picture with blocks along with reading and writing. When I was in college I was retested so I could get help with my homework . Over the years I took special classes, then speech therapy in junior high and again in high school.

Dyslexia - Describe Your Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you or your child experienced with dyslexia.
Dyslexia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dyslexia?
Dyslexia - Personal Experience Question: Do you or your child have dyslexia? Please describe what it's like and how you cope.
Dyslexia - Treatment Question: What educational methods or approaches have you or your child used to deal with dyslexia?