Patient Comments: Dyslexia - Describe Your Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms you or your child experienced with dyslexia.

Comment from: Dup, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have never actually been diagnosed with dyslexia, but I am pretty sure that I have it. My daughter is dyslexic which we did not know until she was in 5th grade. My symptoms include, but are not limited to the following: I have never been able to tell left from right. My 2nd grade teacher told me that I was going to be in 2nd grade for the rest of my life if I did not try harder to learn to read. (We moved after that.) I was always in the slowest/lowest reading group until 4th grade when they quit group reading. My spelling is less than good. I always tried to prepare myself for read aloud stuff in my classes even in high school because I stumbled all over the place and sounded stupid. The intelligence is there. I learned to read above grade level by 8th grade, but even now, I read at the sound of actual speech. I have always had trouble moving to music, I guess I do not hear the beat. I cannot do group exercise or line dancing because I go left when I ought to go right and vice versa. Currently, I am attending college and still have trouble remembering information and copying teacher's notes off the board is still a problem; I leave out key phrases or words. Classes with lots of board notes and noise leave me emotionally and physically drained.

Comment from: DeeCee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I'm currently going back to college. I have always had trouble with p, q, d and b. I have always gotten good grades but trouble spelling! I have the worst time typing! Auto correct helps but I am always catching my mistakes. I always felt slow when reading and struggle passing typing because of all of my errors. It takes me twice as long to read or write. I feel for those students that have to rely on typing so much more these days!

Comment from: Been there Done that, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was in the fourth grade when my parents were told I should be tested for dyslexia. By this time I was failing math and struggling with English, which I was very upset about. Many people are surprised when I say I have dyslexia. It sometimes feels that to have dyslexia is to be labeled as stupid or just too lazy to learn like the other “normal” students. I can remember a teacher making me cry because I used my figures to do "simple" math problems. I jump ahead of myself while writing long paragraphs or a short sentence. I am constantly checking and re-checking my work even now at the age of 24. While in grade school I was told I was taking to long to do, once again, “simple” tasks. I always read at my appropriate reading level, but when asked to read aloud in class I became easily confused by words I knew that I KNEW! Instead of paying attention to what was being read in class I was trying to predict when I would have to read so I could jump ahead to prepare myself before I had to read it to the class. Before I taught myself what to look for I became very good at fooling those around me into thinking I didn't have any problems in class. For the most part I have it under control, but occasionally my symptoms will pop-up unexpectedly. For parents with dyslexic children or teachers who have students with dyslexia the best piece of advice I can offer is patience. I know that at times it can be hard, but just remember as frustrating as it is for you, it is twice as frustrating for the child. Dyslexia is something that with time, practice, and patience can be overcome or at least controlled; I am proof of that. While in college I was on the Dean's List multiple times, won several writing awards, and was a member of the National Honor Society. To reiterate, dyslexia does not mean stupid, lazy, or any other negative label people associate with a learning disability; it just means those children need a little extra time and need to be in an environment where they are encouraged to do their best and are not expected to live up to the expectations of the “smart, normal” students.

Comment from: Deb, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My 10 year old son has SO much trouble spelling even though he is SO smart. We're already working with him for his Sensory Integration Disorder (Concerned Oldie - your description sounds exactly like my son) and ADHD. Both of those challenges have really come under control with Occupational Therapy and Concerta. I'm still so puzzled with his spelling, dysgraphia and he also has a mild speech problem (mostly R combos) and confusing words. He says Barnes and Normal instead of Barnes and Noble or Occasional Therapy instead of Occupational Therapy. I was almost in tears when I read the part in this article about using similar sounding words! I know there isn't a cure for it but just knowing what we are dealing with makes it easier! We live in an area now that doesn't have Occupational Therapy for kids and the speech therapy at the school is HORRIBLE. I am going to call his doctor tomorrow about getting him on a more aggressive program! Thanks for the great information!

Comment from: glenn, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

I have a 3 year old daughter who has difficulty expressing words. If she was able to say a word, most of the time a 2 syllable word, she interchanges the syllables. I'm wondering if this is also a symptom of having dyslexia.

Dyslexia - Diagnosis Question: How was your dyslexia diagnosed?
Dyslexia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dyslexia?
Dyslexia - Personal Experience Question: Do you or your child have dyslexia? Please describe what it's like and how you cope.
Dyslexia - Treatment Question: What educational methods or approaches have you or your child used to deal with dyslexia?