Patient Comments: Dyslexia - Personal Experience

Do you or your child have dyslexia? Please describe what it's like and how you cope.

Comment from: ANNE, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My son aged 13 has been diagnosed with dyslexia since he was aged 10. I knew for a long time that he had difficulty as he has great problems with reading writing and math. He also has difficulty with sequencing of events: times, days of the week, and months of the year. He has just started secondary school and is finding the transition very difficult.

Comment from: Katie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I was in second grade, when they final told me what was wrong with me or at else thats how I felt. I had already been held back. I always felt different. I saw and heard things others didn't but I didn't get what they were talking about. Now my dyslexia affects me in all of the 4 ways hearing, seeing, speech, reading/writing. Now it sounds crazy but we people with dyslexia are some of the smartest people we just have to work harder. Now I didn't always believe that but now I am starting to. Dyslexia doesn't make you dumb. As a parent you can freak out or talk with your child ask how they feel about all of this. And before putting them trough more help or in another program ask them if they want to do it. Help them find something they are really good at and have them do it and praise them for it. Also help them fight for their dreams. DON"T make it all about school and the dyslexia. Make them see how wonderful they are.But talk to them all the time about what they are going through and their feelings. If you have any other questions about dyslexia or how to live throuhgh it or what helped me please ask.

Comment from: JMSM, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My grandson was diagnosed with dyslexia when he was about 6 years old. He has been failing in school, acts out, and behaves as if he doesn't care about anything until recently. My daughter has been told by his teachers that his doctor is the one who should test him, but the doctor said it is his teacher that does the testing. What are we to do to help him?

Dyslexia - Describe Your Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you or your child experienced with dyslexia.
Dyslexia - Diagnosis Question: How was your dyslexia diagnosed?
Dyslexia - Causes Question: What was the cause of your dyslexia?
Dyslexia - Treatment Question: What educational methods or approaches have you or your child used to deal with dyslexia?