Patient Comments: Dyslexia - Causes

What was the cause of your dyslexia?

Comment from: CJ68135, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My dyslexia was found at a very young age. My mother knew there was an issue when I could not tell which hand was my left and which was my right. She was fantastic -- the ever problem solver! She got me a ring and used a word association, "a ring goes on the right hand." Then there have always been the letter reversals and I hated to read and I hated math!

Comment from: Edwin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I am 69 years of age and i did not find out that i had Dyslexia until i was 50 years old. Can you think of all the things that I had to go through in my life. I do not know where to began, but I wish that someone could have helped me, so i just had to do this problem myself. I could of had a better life, and this Dyslexia cost me a life time of bad decisions.If their anyone who can help me to find out if i could get government support for my learning disability in Canada. I had to do and hide a lot of things that I had no idea what Dyslexia was or was all about, BUT i new there was something wrong with me, like i said it cost me a life time of bad decisions. I have with me a dictionary book all the time. Sorry if i misspell some words.

Comment from: dolly, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 29

My son was just diagnosed with dyslexia, he is turning 10 this year. He is at new school. He is unable to read but he is very good in typing words and sentences and very good in mathematics. I'm so overwhelmed about the situation, I don't know how to deal or approach it.

Comment from: tears, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 15

My cousin has had dyslexia all her life. She had to be held back in the 5th grade because of it. She was also diagnosed last year with a tumor in her right leg. They had to surgically remove it. She is fine now, but still is struggling with dyslexia in the 8th grade. However, she is at least one year above her grade in reading.

Comment from: Dyslexic dude, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I found out I was dyslexic when I was 8, but no one really believes me--not even my teacher. Only a couple of friends who have been dyslexic longer than I have believe me. They've helped me through this school year.

Dyslexia - Describe Your Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you or your child experienced with dyslexia.
Dyslexia - Diagnosis Question: How was your dyslexia diagnosed?
Dyslexia - Personal Experience Question: Do you or your child have dyslexia? Please describe what it's like and how you cope.
Dyslexia - Treatment Question: What educational methods or approaches have you or your child used to deal with dyslexia?