Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments

What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My doctor sent me to a physiotherapist for exercises for Dupuytren"s contracture I could learn that might stave it off for a while because I can"t afford to give up work yet. The physiotherapist saw me 5 times. She massaged the lump that had grown from the top of the palm to the first knuckle on my little finger and that hurt. She stretched it out and back and I felt it up to my elbow, which is where the tendon is connected to she said. Then she made up a splint to use at night so I wouldn"t sleep with my hand all curled up. She told me to massage and stretch it every hour if I could (which I don"t). She said to use heat packs to soften/loosen it up as well when I massage it. After a hot shower is a good time to massage while it"s more flexible. There is a noticeable decrease in the size of the lump now and my finger is definitely not as contracted as it was.

Comment from: marquex, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have Dupuytren's contracture in both hands and have had 2 surgeries. I was advised to put the surgery off as long as possible, which I did, but obviously too long. I had the first surgery by plastic surgeon that left my hand, ring and little finger very thickly scarred. Then about 4 years later I had the 2nd surgery on the same place and it went better; not as much hard-ridge scarring. But my fingers want to be pulled to the palm more than straight. The left hand is now very lumpy and you can see the cords pulling in different ways. I have thought of the injections but hear of expense and pain. I would like to know of the natural medicines someone wrote about on this sire. I am a true believer in alternative medicine.

Comment from: Coleridge, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I am a male seventy two years of age and developed Dupuytren's around the age of forty. Since then I have had six operations including plastic surgery. My fingers are now severely deformed and thank goodness that had I been a musician or had a similar profession where the loss of employment would be a concerning issue. Recently I was diagnosed with a life threatening condition and decided to opt for natural medicine as an alternative to conventional medical procedure. The astonishing side effect or unintentional consequence was that after only four weeks of taking natural medicine the small nodules that were in three positions on separate fingers totally disappeared and a large lump that was deforming another finger and was due for surgery has reduced by approximately 50%. I have always been a severe skeptic of natural medicine but this experience has shed an entirely new light on this often ridiculed form of treatment. My advice is open your mind to alternative forms of treatment.

Comment from: ike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

For Dupuytren's contracture I had surgery on my little finger in the right hand 10 years ago and surgery on the left middle finger 2 years ago. My little finger on my right hand started bending again, this time went with Xiaflex procedure couple of days ago.

Comment from: Tomboy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have Dupuytren's. I had surgery but it has worsened. I was wondering what natural medicines could help.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.
Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?