Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments

What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?

Comment from: Nigel, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I am 79. I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture 3 years ago and saw an orthopedic surgeon who measured the degree of contracture before telling me to return in 6 months. Several months later I accidentally straightened the affected finger (4th on the right hand) when closing the hatch back on a friend's car. I pulled down the hatch back with my fingers in the cavity intended for the purpose. It required some effort initially but once past the horizontal, went with a rush and as I was unable to extract my fingers quickly enough they were forcefully bent backwards. The pain was excruciating and I thought I had broken them, but happily that was not the case and the affected finger had more or less straightened out! I am now developing the same condition in the left hand, and now know the cheapest way to fix it but I doubt I would be brave enough to do it deliberately!

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

No treatment was successful for my Dupuytren's contracture. I had five surgeries over 20 years and, ultimately, Xiaflex injections (extremely painful procedures). Until the etiology of this disease is established, surgeons only treat the symptoms and not the underlying cause.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I've had great success with my Dupuytren's contracture massaging in Bio Oil for 5 minutes or so at night. When my scar tightened and puckered so much it was causing pain especially on flattening my hand I started rubbing in Bio Oil. It was nightly but now only weekly. The pain and tightening goes almost straight away. I believe it works by breaking down the excess collagen or at least making it suppler. It's been a huge relief for me as my hand still works well without any pain. I'd love to hear of others' experience with this.

Comment from: BOISE, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I have had a total 5 surgeries for Dupuytren's contracture in my two hands. Each of the surgeries was successful, obtaining full use, and healed up as expected. I have never had pain or itching, just lack of full use of the affected finger. There is no cure nor no known cause. My doctor said it is thought to most frequently appear in those individual that have an ancestry into the Slavic area of Europe. Do your homework and make sure you get a well-qualified hand surgeon.

Comment from: Linny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 54, I've had Dupuytren's contracture on my hand going towards my little finger, for years. When I feel it tightening up and the 2 bumps get sore I rub Bio-Oil a (scar reducing oil) on it at night. Almost straight away the pain goes and by the next morning I can fully stretch again without pain even when pressing the lumps. Sometimes I might do this 3 nights in a row other times once a week, usually only when I am conscious of pain during the day. It really is amazing and makes this annoying pain go away and keeps my hand supple. Please ask people to try this simple remedy.

Comment from: Hilda, Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I believe that Dupuytren's contracture is caused by blocked energy and we are all energy. I started doing Tai Chi and Qi Gong and started a vegan diet which is the highest energy food for nourishing our bodies. I no longer have pain and the lump in my hand has disappeared to the amazement of my massage therapist who initially noticed it, and my doctor who had absolutely no suggestions for a cure.

Comment from: missdee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I sure would like to know what the alternative medicines were that the gentleman from Coleridge used for his life threatening condition that ended up improving his Dupuytren's contracture issues. Please do let us know if you return to this site.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.
Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?