Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments

What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

No treatment was successful for my Dupuytren's contracture. I had five surgeries over 20 years and, ultimately, Xiaflex injections (extremely painful procedures). Until the etiology of this disease is established, surgeons only treat the symptoms and not the underlying cause.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I've had great success with my Dupuytren's contracture massaging in Bio Oil for 5 minutes or so at night. When my scar tightened and puckered so much it was causing pain especially on flattening my hand I started rubbing in Bio Oil. It was nightly but now only weekly. The pain and tightening goes almost straight away. I believe it works by breaking down the excess collagen or at least making it suppler. It's been a huge relief for me as my hand still works well without any pain. I'd love to hear of others' experience with this.

Comment from: BOISE, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I have had a total 5 surgeries for Dupuytren's contracture in my two hands. Each of the surgeries was successful, obtaining full use, and healed up as expected. I have never had pain or itching, just lack of full use of the affected finger. There is no cure nor no known cause. My doctor said it is thought to most frequently appear in those individual that have an ancestry into the Slavic area of Europe. Do your homework and make sure you get a well-qualified hand surgeon.

Comment from: Linny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 54, I've had Dupuytren's contracture on my hand going towards my little finger, for years. When I feel it tightening up and the 2 bumps get sore I rub Bio-Oil a (scar reducing oil) on it at night. Almost straight away the pain goes and by the next morning I can fully stretch again without pain even when pressing the lumps. Sometimes I might do this 3 nights in a row other times once a week, usually only when I am conscious of pain during the day. It really is amazing and makes this annoying pain go away and keeps my hand supple. Please ask people to try this simple remedy.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My doctor sent me to a physiotherapist for exercises for Dupuytren"s contracture I could learn that might stave it off for a while because I can"t afford to give up work yet. The physiotherapist saw me 5 times. She massaged the lump that had grown from the top of the palm to the first knuckle on my little finger and that hurt. She stretched it out and back and I felt it up to my elbow, which is where the tendon is connected to she said. Then she made up a splint to use at night so I wouldn"t sleep with my hand all curled up. She told me to massage and stretch it every hour if I could (which I don"t). She said to use heat packs to soften/loosen it up as well when I massage it. After a hot shower is a good time to massage while it"s more flexible. There is a noticeable decrease in the size of the lump now and my finger is definitely not as contracted as it was.

Comment from: marquex, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have Dupuytren's contracture in both hands and have had 2 surgeries. I was advised to put the surgery off as long as possible, which I did, but obviously too long. I had the first surgery by plastic surgeon that left my hand, ring and little finger very thickly scarred. Then about 4 years later I had the 2nd surgery on the same place and it went better; not as much hard-ridge scarring. But my fingers want to be pulled to the palm more than straight. The left hand is now very lumpy and you can see the cords pulling in different ways. I have thought of the injections but hear of expense and pain. I would like to know of the natural medicines someone wrote about on this sire. I am a true believer in alternative medicine.

Comment from: Coleridge, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I am a male seventy two years of age and developed Dupuytren's around the age of forty. Since then I have had six operations including plastic surgery. My fingers are now severely deformed and thank goodness that had I been a musician or had a similar profession where the loss of employment would be a concerning issue. Recently I was diagnosed with a life threatening condition and decided to opt for natural medicine as an alternative to conventional medical procedure. The astonishing side effect or unintentional consequence was that after only four weeks of taking natural medicine the small nodules that were in three positions on separate fingers totally disappeared and a large lump that was deforming another finger and was due for surgery has reduced by approximately 50%. I have always been a severe skeptic of natural medicine but this experience has shed an entirely new light on this often ridiculed form of treatment. My advice is open your mind to alternative forms of treatment.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.
Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?