Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?

Comment from: jstkd4, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have Dupuytren's in both hands. The problem I have is that I have a lot of pain in both hands. The knuckles on my index finger and my thumb are very painful. I can't actually bend my index fingers. They stay straight while the other three fingers of my hand want to bend. My doctor just says there is nothing to do. I am not convinced that the knuckle pain is from Dupuytren's.

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I'm 73, and first noticed a thickening in the palm of my left hand. Much to my surprise, when massaging the spot hard, it changed in form over several months. I didn't know it was the start of Dupuytren's contractures. In November of 2012, I noticed “clicking” in my fingers, and actually heard it, especially in the middle finger of my left hand and second finger of my right hand. This changed after several days, and I ended up having trouble bending those fingers. It was worse in the morning and I 'd try to remember to go to sleep with my hands open to avoid that. With a hot morning bath, I could limber up the fingers and not notice it during the day. Now I have some pain, especially in the right finger, and I no longer can straighten it out because I have too much pain in my knuckle. It has a slight, permanently bent look. Sometimes when my left hand finger gets folded, I can't open it, and then I can. I can see the possibility of this happening as it progresses. A nurse friend has the same condition and she gave me the name for it, as I knew it was different than my aunt's severe arthritis with deformed feet and hands. My dad has this condition in one finger and never knew what it was--that generation didn't talk much about those kinds of things.

Comment from: Fern, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I had an operation on my right hand for Dupuytren"s contracture about 8 years ago. The surgeon removed a significant amount of scar tissue in the process. Yes, it takes a while to recover and yes, you have loss of feeling in the hand. I would describe the feeling as similar to having a piece of leather embedded in your hand. It takes 6 months to a year regain full use of the hand. However, eight years later, my hand is still fully functional and there is no sign of new scarring. I would say that I am satisfied with the result.

Comment from: max, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have had Dupuytren's in both hands now. I researched when I got it and convinced my radiologist to do radiation on first the right and then later the left palm. He agreed and I got some relief and a sort of "softening" of the nodules after. Now I have developed a trigger finger in the left hand almost 2 years after the radiation and will be seeing a hand specialist next. Getting the radiation early on when just the nodules appear is a great non-invasive treatment.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?