Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had surgery on my left hand (ring finger) in 2012 for Dupuytren's' contracture. I thought I had been stuck by a catfish barb 2 or 3 years before. I got along really good and have no recurrence on left hand. I now have right hand with this disease. It is very painful, I have had injections with no relief. I have pain while driving when I hold the steering wheel. I am going to get surgery in the fall when temperature is cooler.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had Dupuytren's contracture on left hand 3 years ago. It started with a place that looked as if a catfish had finned me. It got worse and pain was almost unbearable. I finally had it operated on and thank goodness I did! I had physiotherapy (PT) but have got along very well. Now I have the contracture on the right hand and it is very painful. I will wait until winter time to have it operated on; the brace which is fitted to you is too hot for summer. I got along very well with surgery and PT. I hope you get along good also!

Comment from: Ben, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have the beginnings of Dupuytren's contracture in both hands with obvious lumps and pits. I have pestered my doctor and I am back to fracture clinic to start the investigative process again, and hope this time I will be taken seriously. As it is my fingers, except thumb and forefinger, all bend towards palm. At rest my hand is claw like. All I can hope for I suppose is that it doesn't get worse as the cords start to make an appearance, and perhaps injections could halt its progression and give me back normal hands. I am only 34, it started out of the blue in late 2012.

Comment from: Scots03deuce, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I first developed Dupuytren's contracture in my early 20s. It got quite severe in my left hand and I had surgery. By the time I was in my mid 50s it was full blown in both hands and my knuckles on my left hand as well as a large nodule in the arch of my right foot. I have now had 10 surgical procedures on my hands and right foot as well as carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, severe carpal tunnel! Within 2 months of all my surgeries, it all came back now on my right knuckles as well. Now it appears to be developing in my left foot. It grows in me like a weed. To have all these surgeries and have it develop so rapidly is very rare especially on the knuckles. I can only close my left hand half way and I am left handed. It is annoying and painful. It is prevalent in people of Scotch Irish descent who work excessively with their hands. I have been a fabricator and machinist most of my life and can no longer do these things. My father had it fairly severe in both hands but he passed when I was 8 years old.

Comment from: WrongDiagnosis?, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture two years ago. I had broken a bone in my hand and after having the cast removed I had a bump at the point of the break. I thought it was a bone that had not healed properly but was told it was scar tissue and the beginning of Dupuytren's contracture. The 'scar' tissue has increased and is, indeed, pulling my fingers in toward my palm. My specialist will offer no treatment and says to wait until the collagen-type injection is approved here. I have read that the collagen substance is non-specific and can go into other areas and dissolve tissue (i.e. tendons). I have no interest in having that kind of therapy. I am an active, athletic person and want to stay that way. As far as I can see there is still no really good option on the horizon.

Comment from: jstkd4, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have Dupuytren's in both hands. The problem I have is that I have a lot of pain in both hands. The knuckles on my index finger and my thumb are very painful. I can't actually bend my index fingers. They stay straight while the other three fingers of my hand want to bend. My doctor just says there is nothing to do. I am not convinced that the knuckle pain is from Dupuytren's.

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I'm 73, and first noticed a thickening in the palm of my left hand. Much to my surprise, when massaging the spot hard, it changed in form over several months. I didn't know it was the start of Dupuytren's contractures. In November of 2012, I noticed “clicking” in my fingers, and actually heard it, especially in the middle finger of my left hand and second finger of my right hand. This changed after several days, and I ended up having trouble bending those fingers. It was worse in the morning and I 'd try to remember to go to sleep with my hands open to avoid that. With a hot morning bath, I could limber up the fingers and not notice it during the day. Now I have some pain, especially in the right finger, and I no longer can straighten it out because I have too much pain in my knuckle. It has a slight, permanently bent look. Sometimes when my left hand finger gets folded, I can't open it, and then I can. I can see the possibility of this happening as it progresses. A nurse friend has the same condition and she gave me the name for it, as I knew it was different than my aunt's severe arthritis with deformed feet and hands. My dad has this condition in one finger and never knew what it was--that generation didn't talk much about those kinds of things.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?