Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

My husband is 46 years old and has recently been experiencing pain in his hands. I am an occupational therapist and was able to identify the onset of Dupuytren's contracture and immediately sent him to an orthopedic upper extremity specialist. He told him what I already knew, nothing can really be done at this stage. My husband is an avid guitar player and was so upset he began researching. For the last 30 years doctors in Europe have been using low dose radiotherapy with really good results. This treatment is only available to people in the early stages of Dupuytren's with no more than a 5 degree loss of range of motion. The treatment has been available in the United States for at least 5 years and we were able to find a local radiation oncologist who does the treatment. Our orthopedic surgeon is excellent, but radiation is not in his scope of practice and the information is not widely publicized, so I wanted to make everyone aware. The Dupuytren-online.info has more information.

Comment from: Balkandeputy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

I've had Dupuytren's contracture in my right hand between my thumb and first finger for over 10 years. I can feel the cord, but as of yet my hand has not had any closing problems. Now the same can be felt in the same location on my left hand. My major problem now for the last 5 months is I seem to have developed Peyronie's disease. I was about to bring a medical malpractice suit against my urologist since I first believed it was a result of 2 bladder operations to cauterize an ulcer. I now see that this disease can be associated with having Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Bruce D, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am 65 and have experienced Dupuytren's contracture for over 20 years, first in my right hand and now in my left. Both my grandfather and father (Irish ancestry) had it in one hand. With regular stretching the right hand symptoms have all but disappeared. The same exercises have seemed to slow or stop progress in the left hand. The last time I saw a surgeon he told me that he had never seen or heard of the contracture being reversed through anything less than surgery.

Comment from: houshang, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am a 65 year old male. I have Dupuytren's contracture in both my hands. I recently purchased a rubber ball, same size as a golf ball and for about one hour a day squeeze it in my hands. It helped a lot to make my hands more flexible. I wonder if this disease has anything to do with diabetes because I have type two but is controlled.

Comment from: RealtorSherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

At 49 I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture. I was recovering from a wrist fracture and ligament tear. My hand between my pointer finger and thumb is chorded and pulling on my thumb. I thought it was from wearing the cast and brace. Doctor said it was likely there previously and I did not notice until now. He said there is nothing much I can do to remedy the immobility and arthritis. He gave me two shots of cortisone to aid in the pain in my thumb joint. I am looking for any relief online.

Comment from: bowzer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had both hands operated on by an orthopedic surgeon for Dupuytren's contracture, the left hand first, then the right hand. Then it came back to the left hand and I had it operated on again. Now right hand is to the point of needing surgery again.

Comment from: Buggs, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have suffered with Dupuytren's contracture in both hands since my late 20s. I had corrective surgery on three separate occasions on both hands and finally resorted to amputation of both little fingers. This final operation was the only one to be successful in both cases. No recurrence of the disease. I no longer poke myself in the eyes with bent pinkies.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?