Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: bentfingers, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have Dupuytren"s in my right hand. I first noticed it about 5 years ago, my pinky started to bend in toward my palm. At first I thought I just had callus on the inside of my palm. I went to my health provider and my doctor diagnosed Dupuytren"s contracture. So now I have to see what options are available... since there is no cure my options are limited to either the injections or surgery.

Comment from: Oregon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have Dupuytren's in both hands. There is no family history of it. It hurts and I feel more needs to be said and researched on this ugly disease. I was lucky enough to find a doctor who first gave me enzyme injections and then I was able to find an oncologist radiologist to provide me with radiation treatment. I had to fight for 4 months to get doctors to listen to me but I finally got help. You have to get this in the very early stage or it won't help. My fingers are straight, the severe pulling is gone. How long will it last? No one knows, but if you get a few months with use of your hands it beats what life is like without the use of our fingers. I was told by the orthopedist to sit and look at my hands and call her when they got worse, so she could do surgery. Surgery is a last resort, I for one do not want to live without the use of my fingers. Dupuytren's is not curable (yet) but maybe we can put it in remission early on.

Comment from: sissylala, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have had Dupuytren"s contracture for over 13 years. I have had 5 surgeries on 2 hands. It only goes away for a little while. I am now facing more surgery as 2 of my fingers are losing circulation. It started in my 30s. I am a woman in my 50s and may lose my finger. When I first saw it I thought it was a cyst; wrong!

Comment from: Gary M, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

Finally had someone identify this interesting configuration in my hands as Dupuytren"s contracture. I have no symptoms to date. My hands stretch out flat. I did feel my hands got wider when I pole vaulted in high school. I just noticed a swelling between the left pinky and ring finger, also more of an indentation directly below the last joint in the pinky. I am spooked and don"t know what to expect.

Comment from: Lefty, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had Dupuytren's contracture for approximately 10 years. I can't actually pinpoint when it started. I've had the injection on my right index finger in August and to date am doing fine. It was a very painful procedure. In September I was injected between the 2 middle fingers and it didn't work. I'm also having problems with my left hand.

Comment from: fighter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I've had this condition in both hands and it was corrected by a plastic surgeon. It takes about 8 weeks to recover fully. I am extremely happy with my choice.

Comment from: Hickster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had Dupuytren's contracture for about 6 years now. I find that constant stretching has kept my fingers straight. I was diagnosed about 6 months after carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Now, I've developed arthritis in my fingers.

Comment from: Energymatters, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

A tendon on my left thumb (thumb to index finger) has minor scaring but it is painful and is causing swelling and limits my mobility and strength. I can no longer play the guitar as I cannot grip the neck with my thumb. I have difficulty opening jars as well.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?