Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Umalapuma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I am 65 years old. My father had Dupuytren's contracture that was severe and required surgery. He was a railroad switch man and used his hands to pull the switches. I noticed the bump on my left palm below my ring finger several years ago. Interestingly I also have a thickening on the tendons on the soles of both feet. Based on the information I read today, it sounds like I have Ledderhose's disease as well. Both of my sisters and my brother have the same bumps on their hands. They do not have any other symptoms, yet. I like to do weight training and think this might eventually aggravate the problems. I have recently noticed nerve tingling in my ring and pinkie finger. After reading information on this website, I am going to seek further medical evaluation!

Comment from: StilllYoung, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I injured my left hand 4 years ago. Later a hard nodule developed in my palm. About 6 months ago I started waking up with pain in the knuckles of my left hand. Last night I looked at my left hand and realized that the palm couldn't be flattened and that my middle and ring fingers were pulled in. The tendon of the ring finger feels thickened. Since my dad has Dupuytren's contracture and had surgery to mostly straighten his fingers it is a good chance that is what I have even though I am a woman under 50. Although it may be related to the injury. I am calling my doctor on Monday to get diagnosed and start treatment if I can because I don't want to have a useless, deformed hand.

Comment from: BK, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am now 77. My Dupuytren's contracture appeared as bumps on top of fingers in both hands, when I was around 55. The condition progressed to curled ring fingers and cords everywhere. In the past three years I've had the needle treatment known as aponeurotomy. It was near painless and somewhat successful. Unfortunately the conditions reappeared with a vengeance. I have no pain but the curled fingers are more of a nuisance. There are worse things at this age.

Comment from: BadgerBob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I'm an active 63 year old male of Eastern European descent who has Dupuytren's contracture at the base of the little finger on my left hand. For the past three years the condition has hindered what for me were normal activities such as dribbling a basketball, catching a baseball and doing push-ups and yoga, when it involved that hand. I'm an editor by profession, and my typing speed and accuracy have also suffered as a result. Interestingly, the condition seems to not have worsened the past nine months or so. It's still painful, though, and I'm planning to seek treatment.

Comment from: Theimler, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had Dupuytren's contracture in my hands and feet for a number of years now and I am only 37. I first noticed it in my left foot when I was about 25 years old. Left my foot alone but I have had 2 surgeries on each hand in the last 10 years and am very happy. Funny enough I am finally going in tomorrow for my foot. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment from: rewindpaul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

I've had Dupuytren's contracture now for at least 15 years, but was told to wait for any surgery for as long as I could hold out. I now have noticed a loss of circulation and a tingling in my fingers. So I guess I need to take measures to fix the problem before I do further damage to my hands.

Comment from: alfredf., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I am a 57 year old male and I have this dreadful disease. I noticed my Dupuytren's contracture about 7 years back but it got worse in the last 2 years. I am a lead guitar player and my hands hurt so much that it is hard to play. I love playing my guitar as much as I need food; you can see why it is bothersome.

Comment from: Marc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

What I took for calluses, was the Dupuytren's contracture. After discussing the alternatives, my acupuncturist thought 'blue light' might work as well as pins. Blue light worked better. I don't know how it works, but I am 80 percent free of it after 10 or so treatments. I do not know if it will go away permanently or if this is a temporary relief. To me, it doesn't matter.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?