Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: lou, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I am 66 and have had Dupuytren"s contracture for several years in both hands. My little and ring fingers are badly disfigured. Two fixes are available, shot and/or surgery. I am told both are painful. I have several bumps on both hands which do not seem to be connected to the 4 fingers involved. Will I be faced with treatment each time one of these bumps goes up another finger! The doctor said shot will not remove bumps. The bumps have gotten so large they impede movement. Sounds like I should just get used to the pain. I have other neurological issues that impact hand eye coordination. It looks like a 2 year old was sitting at our table when eating out. There is food everywhere. Getting old can be painful and embarrassing but it is much better than the alternative.

Comment from: bentfingers, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have Dupuytren"s in my right hand. I first noticed it about 5 years ago, my pinky started to bend in toward my palm. At first I thought I just had callus on the inside of my palm. I went to my health provider and my doctor diagnosed Dupuytren"s contracture. So now I have to see what options are available... since there is no cure my options are limited to either the injections or surgery.

Comment from: Oregon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have Dupuytren's in both hands. There is no family history of it. It hurts and I feel more needs to be said and researched on this ugly disease. I was lucky enough to find a doctor who first gave me enzyme injections and then I was able to find an oncologist radiologist to provide me with radiation treatment. I had to fight for 4 months to get doctors to listen to me but I finally got help. You have to get this in the very early stage or it won't help. My fingers are straight, the severe pulling is gone. How long will it last? No one knows, but if you get a few months with use of your hands it beats what life is like without the use of our fingers. I was told by the orthopedist to sit and look at my hands and call her when they got worse, so she could do surgery. Surgery is a last resort, I for one do not want to live without the use of my fingers. Dupuytren's is not curable (yet) but maybe we can put it in remission early on.

Comment from: Just diagnosed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

This disease Dupuytren"s contracture is not painless. My hands ache so much that I am popping pain medications as often as I can and rubbing an anti-inflammatory cream on them. It only takes the edge off. People who have it will tell you. The Facebook group will tell you of the aching and itching.

Comment from: Inder, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I got Dupuytren's contracture in my right hand with my stroke 3 years back. I recovered fully from the stroke except this little issue. Fortunately, I can live with it unless it deteriorates further.

Comment from: sissylala, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have had Dupuytren"s contracture for over 13 years. I have had 5 surgeries on 2 hands. It only goes away for a little while. I am now facing more surgery as 2 of my fingers are losing circulation. It started in my 30s. I am a woman in my 50s and may lose my finger. When I first saw it I thought it was a cyst; wrong!

Comment from: Gary M, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

Finally had someone identify this interesting configuration in my hands as Dupuytren"s contracture. I have no symptoms to date. My hands stretch out flat. I did feel my hands got wider when I pole vaulted in high school. I just noticed a swelling between the left pinky and ring finger, also more of an indentation directly below the last joint in the pinky. I am spooked and don"t know what to expect.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?