Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: houshang, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am a 65 year old male. I have Dupuytren's contracture in both my hands. I recently purchased a rubber ball, same size as a golf ball and for about one hour a day squeeze it in my hands. It helped a lot to make my hands more flexible. I wonder if this disease has anything to do with diabetes because I have type two but is controlled.

Comment from: RealtorSherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

At 49 I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture. I was recovering from a wrist fracture and ligament tear. My hand between my pointer finger and thumb is chorded and pulling on my thumb. I thought it was from wearing the cast and brace. Doctor said it was likely there previously and I did not notice until now. He said there is nothing much I can do to remedy the immobility and arthritis. He gave me two shots of cortisone to aid in the pain in my thumb joint. I am looking for any relief online.

Comment from: bowzer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had both hands operated on by an orthopedic surgeon for Dupuytren's contracture, the left hand first, then the right hand. Then it came back to the left hand and I had it operated on again. Now right hand is to the point of needing surgery again.

Comment from: Buggs, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have suffered with Dupuytren's contracture in both hands since my late 20s. I had corrective surgery on three separate occasions on both hands and finally resorted to amputation of both little fingers. This final operation was the only one to be successful in both cases. No recurrence of the disease. I no longer poke myself in the eyes with bent pinkies.

Comment from: Jaclynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 60 and have had this Dupuytren's contracture starting about 15 years ago. Very aggravating! First I went to an orthopedic group and was told to wait until my little finger tried to poke my eye out when applying my war paint. I was impatient. I tried the injections. I cried through the whole procedure. That was ok if it worked. It did not. Six months later, uh yeah, same old thing. Then, I found a doctor who did an incision in my palm. Yes, recovery is not fun but not that bad. He will fix my other hand in 5 days and fix the arteritis in my thumb at the same time. No fun but when he is thorough with me, I will have minimal scars and won't stick my pinkie in my nose when I put my war paint on. Thank you doctor!

Comment from: nana-2-2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 57 and have recently been diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture although I have had nodules in both hands for at least 2 years. The ones in my right hand have gotten worse and recently, I have noticed a thickening in the palm and my pinkie remains bent at the first joint a small amount. So far, the nodules are not painful, just annoying.

Comment from: Umalapuma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I am 65 years old. My father had Dupuytren's contracture that was severe and required surgery. He was a railroad switch man and used his hands to pull the switches. I noticed the bump on my left palm below my ring finger several years ago. Interestingly I also have a thickening on the tendons on the soles of both feet. Based on the information I read today, it sounds like I have Ledderhose's disease as well. Both of my sisters and my brother have the same bumps on their hands. They do not have any other symptoms, yet. I like to do weight training and think this might eventually aggravate the problems. I have recently noticed nerve tingling in my ring and pinkie finger. After reading information on this website, I am going to seek further medical evaluation!

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?