Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had hand (left) surgery in 2000 and 6 months later at a checkup with the specialist he told me I had developed Dupuytren's contracture. I now have it in my right hand after having surgery. The specialist said that having surgery put trauma to the hand and it brought out Dupuytren's. I guess I am lucky that I don't have a lot of problems yet, occasionally my ring finger on the right hand will lock up when crocheting. The specialist did say it was hereditary.

Comment from: EMS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have had continuous urinary tract infections for the past 2 years. My urologist, gynecologist and primary physician have all given me antibiotics on a continual basis. Once I finish a schedule of antibiotics, the next day, a new urinary tract infection symptoms begin. I am looking for any doctor who can help me get to the cause. So far, no cause has been found. I am afraid that I am taking too much antibiotic medicine.

Comment from: Gerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I have had both hands done with the use of Xiaflex for Dupuytren's contracture, the first one (right) at the end of January 2017, and the left done today (May 12, 2017). If the results achieved with the right hand are close to the expected results of my left hand, I'll be a happy man. I play guitar (left handed) and playing helped abate the symptoms (only the ring finger was affected) but it progressed to a point where the ring finger was of no use, so I made the decision to have the procedure. Within four days I was back to playing with a fully functional ring finger. There was no rehabilitation necessary other than wearing a small splint on the finger for about six weeks, but only when I slept. The full procedure involve about 10 days from start to finish, with injections on day one, manipulation on day eight and a couple of days for the soreness to go away. The most painful part was when the doctor injected the hand with Novocain to numb the hand before each session.

Comment from: Shane, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had Dupuytren's contracture in the left hand. I investigated radiation treatment which I had read about on the internet as a new trial type of early treatment. My hand is now normal with a softening of the scar area, I can still feel the area however the contracture stopped. I would recommend this treatment as it worked for me.

Comment from: bluedog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I am 63 and 5 years ago I developed Dupuytren's contracture which made playing my guitar and piano almost impossible. I kept working on my finger position and eventually I was able to use the pinkie again. It is still not as limber as it was but far better than when it first started. About the same time I started having lumps in the arches of my feet that hurt badly. I was walking a lot and figured that was causing the problems. I saw 3 different doctors and had 3 different diagnoses, all ended up giving me cortisone shots. Now, I self-massage my feet before going to sleep and when I wake up in the morning. Two years ago I had to have a stent and started taking beta blockers and 1 year ago I was diagnosed with Peyronie's disease. I have to wait till I can get off the blood thinners before I can try the Xiaflex shots; not looking forward to it. If anyone has had experience with Xiaflex shots please post your comments for us that are about to begin so we know if it would be worth it.

Comment from: Pelrod, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I have had Dupuytren's contracture for more than twenty years. I have had the surgery done on a finger and the needle procedure (France) done on other fingers. About a year ago, for another condition I started taking vitamin D3 (4 to 6 thousand IUs) daily. Since that time my active Dupuytren's has apparently not only stopped growing but has softened a bit. Particularly noticeable is the one on my right hand (thumb) which was becoming bothersome, not formed contracture as yet, but was hard and a bit painful to press on. It has been reduced in size and is not nearly as hard as before. I fully realize that this is not a scientific study, and my results were totally unexpected. I cannot know for sure that the D3 was the reason for the Dupuytren's halting growth and to reverse a bit, it might have been a coincidence; but maybe not. D3 is both very safe and reasonably inexpensive. Why not try it!

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?