Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: dustyguy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I ride an electric bike and I have to keep my thumb on the throttle. I noticed my hands would be numb from pressure of my weight and loss of blood flow. My right hand ring finger began to lock up on me when I made a fist and I had to pull it straight with my other hand. My middle finger also started locking up in the curled position. I went to a hand doctor. He shot some cortisone in my ring finger. He said if it didn't help, he would have to operate. First thing, I got a new bike so I didn't put so much weight on my hands while riding. I started stretching my fingers and exercising them gently until after a few weeks, I could close my hand into a full fist. They still are tender and still lock up sometimes but are doing much better. I don't know if I have Dupuytren's contracture but I have/had the symptoms, and gentle flexing, change of bikes and stretching my fingers until they pop are helping. Blood supply may have been my main problem. I don't know. Have fun.

Comment from: Balkandeputy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

I've had Dupuytren's contracture in my right hand between my thumb and first finger for over 10 years. I can feel the cord, but as of yet my hand has not had any closing problems. Now the same can be felt in the same location on my left hand. My major problem now for the last 5 months is I seem to have developed Peyronie's disease. I was about to bring a medical malpractice suit against my urologist since I first believed it was a result of 2 bladder operations to cauterize an ulcer. I now see that this disease can be associated with having Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Bruce D, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am 65 and have experienced Dupuytren's contracture for over 20 years, first in my right hand and now in my left. Both my grandfather and father (Irish ancestry) had it in one hand. With regular stretching the right hand symptoms have all but disappeared. The same exercises have seemed to slow or stop progress in the left hand. The last time I saw a surgeon he told me that he had never seen or heard of the contracture being reversed through anything less than surgery.

Comment from: houshang, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am a 65 year old male. I have Dupuytren's contracture in both my hands. I recently purchased a rubber ball, same size as a golf ball and for about one hour a day squeeze it in my hands. It helped a lot to make my hands more flexible. I wonder if this disease has anything to do with diabetes because I have type two but is controlled.

Comment from: RealtorSherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

At 49 I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture. I was recovering from a wrist fracture and ligament tear. My hand between my pointer finger and thumb is chorded and pulling on my thumb. I thought it was from wearing the cast and brace. Doctor said it was likely there previously and I did not notice until now. He said there is nothing much I can do to remedy the immobility and arthritis. He gave me two shots of cortisone to aid in the pain in my thumb joint. I am looking for any relief online.

Comment from: bowzer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had both hands operated on by an orthopedic surgeon for Dupuytren's contracture, the left hand first, then the right hand. Then it came back to the left hand and I had it operated on again. Now right hand is to the point of needing surgery again.

Comment from: Buggs, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have suffered with Dupuytren's contracture in both hands since my late 20s. I had corrective surgery on three separate occasions on both hands and finally resorted to amputation of both little fingers. This final operation was the only one to be successful in both cases. No recurrence of the disease. I no longer poke myself in the eyes with bent pinkies.

Comment from: Jaclynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 60 and have had this Dupuytren's contracture starting about 15 years ago. Very aggravating! First I went to an orthopedic group and was told to wait until my little finger tried to poke my eye out when applying my war paint. I was impatient. I tried the injections. I cried through the whole procedure. That was ok if it worked. It did not. Six months later, uh yeah, same old thing. Then, I found a doctor who did an incision in my palm. Yes, recovery is not fun but not that bad. He will fix my other hand in 5 days and fix the arteritis in my thumb at the same time. No fun but when he is thorough with me, I will have minimal scars and won't stick my pinkie in my nose when I put my war paint on. Thank you doctor!

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?