Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Lefty, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had Dupuytren's contracture for approximately 10 years. I can't actually pinpoint when it started. I've had the injection on my right index finger in August and to date am doing fine. It was a very painful procedure. In September I was injected between the 2 middle fingers and it didn't work. I'm also having problems with my left hand.

Comment from: fighter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I've had this condition in both hands and it was corrected by a plastic surgeon. It takes about 8 weeks to recover fully. I am extremely happy with my choice.

Comment from: Hickster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had Dupuytren's contracture for about 6 years now. I find that constant stretching has kept my fingers straight. I was diagnosed about 6 months after carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Now, I've developed arthritis in my fingers.

Comment from: Energymatters, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

A tendon on my left thumb (thumb to index finger) has minor scaring but it is painful and is causing swelling and limits my mobility and strength. I can no longer play the guitar as I cannot grip the neck with my thumb. I have difficulty opening jars as well.

Comment from: roberta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been a mail carrier for 28 years. In the past few months, my right hand has been very painful around the middle finger. I've had numbness at the end of the finger and thumb and find it hard to grasp things. I also can't close my hand completely. It looks like there's swelling just under my right thumb. I've been told I have Dupuytren's contracture. I've been using a paraffin (hot wax) bath treatment several times a day and massage the area under hot running water, alternating with ice packs. I'm thinking of going to a massage therapist. Surgery is the final option for me, due to the fact that I still have to work.

Comment from: Dot, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I was a hairdresser for years. I have recently been told that this is what I have. I am also a diabetic. It's annoying, as I garden quite a bit. According to my doctor, the surgery is hard to get over.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?