Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Theimler, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had Dupuytren's contracture in my hands and feet for a number of years now and I am only 37. I first noticed it in my left foot when I was about 25 years old. Left my foot alone but I have had 2 surgeries on each hand in the last 10 years and am very happy. Funny enough I am finally going in tomorrow for my foot. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment from: Marc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

What I took for calluses, was the Dupuytren's contracture. After discussing the alternatives, my acupuncturist thought 'blue light' might work as well as pins. Blue light worked better. I don't know how it works, but I am 80 percent free of it after 10 or so treatments. I do not know if it will go away permanently or if this is a temporary relief. To me, it doesn't matter.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have developed small hard lumps in both hands under the ring finger after having carpal tunnel operations on both hands. I returned to my surgeon who diagnosed Dupuytren's contracture. My hands constantly ache but not sure if this is due to slow carpal tunnel recovery or my new problem. Carpal operations were 12 months and 9 months ago, not happy!

Comment from: Greamy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have Dupuytren's contracture in both hands, presently only the left pinky finger is affected. I have had two Xiaflex procedures, one year apart. My last procedure was not as successful as the first a year ago. My finger is not straight, and I agree the procedure is not a picnic. I get through the treatment, but it is not fun. Wish the procedure would get you through a longer period before the contracture begins. My paternal grandmother had Dupuytren's, but she never knew what it was. Her hands were totally contracted and severely handicapped her use of her hands. She and everyone else thought she had arthritis. She was of a European decent.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I am male, 64 years old, I have Dupuytren's in both hands and both feet, and I am miserable. I have had 7 surgeries including two amputations and it's only getting worse. My toes can't bend as easy as my fingers do, so they twist. I am walking on the side of my toes plus I have several big lumps on the bottom of my feet. The main problem I'm having getting treatment is, I have insurance but they don't have a clue what Dupuytren's is. All they want to do is keep operating and trying to put me in corrective shoes. When I first got the symptoms, sore bent pinky finger, I was only 18 years old, I didn't smoke or drink and was in good shape. I am blond with Scotch-Irish descent but no one in my family tree ever had Dupuytren's.

Comment from: kb, Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 52 years old, and have been battling Dupuytren's contracture since I was 29. I first had symptoms on my left foot. This affected the ball of my foot. I had surgery to remove the tissue. This was a relatively long recovery, but although I have some scarring, I have good function. About ten years later I developed issues with my small finger of my left hand. I had surgery, but the symptoms quickly returned. My finger is bent at more than 90 degrees. I will eventually have this finger amputated. About five years ago I developed similar issues with my ring finger and palm of my right hand. I have had needle surgery, and six treatments of Xiaflex. The procedure lasts about 6 months and it returns. Last treatment was in April 2014, and my finger and palm are already severely affected. I'm considering full surgery on hand but have been told I will need at least three months to rehabilitate. I hesitate to have this done based on how fast my symptoms have returned. Both of my parents are afflicted, but to a far lesser extent. Gene therapy may be the answer some day.

Comment from: Linny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 54 and my dad had an operation for Dupuytren's contracture. I have 2 nodules on my right palm and tightening to my left little finger. Sometimes I'm aware of pain when laying my hand flat or even doing not much and sometimes the lumps are very sensitive to touch. Then at night I massage for a couple of minutes rubbing in Bio-Oil, a cheap oil used on scars. After about 2 minutes there is no pain on touching or stretching. I need to overextend flat palm to get any pain and feeling of over stretching back. Otherwise no pain and fully flexible. Sometimes I do this once a week, other times 3 nights in a row. Coconut Oil wasn't as successful. Even though I'm thrilled with this, would also love to know what natural cure that 72 year old took. I feel I got this from using a spade on our very hard soil.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?