Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: StilllYoung, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I injured my left hand 4 years ago. Later a hard nodule developed in my palm. About 6 months ago I started waking up with pain in the knuckles of my left hand. Last night I looked at my left hand and realized that the palm couldn't be flattened and that my middle and ring fingers were pulled in. The tendon of the ring finger feels thickened. Since my dad has Dupuytren's contracture and had surgery to mostly straighten his fingers it is a good chance that is what I have even though I am a woman under 50. Although it may be related to the injury. I am calling my doctor on Monday to get diagnosed and start treatment if I can because I don't want to have a useless, deformed hand.

Comment from: BK, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am now 77. My Dupuytren's contracture appeared as bumps on top of fingers in both hands, when I was around 55. The condition progressed to curled ring fingers and cords everywhere. In the past three years I've had the needle treatment known as aponeurotomy. It was near painless and somewhat successful. Unfortunately the conditions reappeared with a vengeance. I have no pain but the curled fingers are more of a nuisance. There are worse things at this age.

Comment from: BadgerBob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I'm an active 63 year old male of Eastern European descent who has Dupuytren's contracture at the base of the little finger on my left hand. For the past three years the condition has hindered what for me were normal activities such as dribbling a basketball, catching a baseball and doing push-ups and yoga, when it involved that hand. I'm an editor by profession, and my typing speed and accuracy have also suffered as a result. Interestingly, the condition seems to not have worsened the past nine months or so. It's still painful, though, and I'm planning to seek treatment.

Comment from: Theimler, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had Dupuytren's contracture in my hands and feet for a number of years now and I am only 37. I first noticed it in my left foot when I was about 25 years old. Left my foot alone but I have had 2 surgeries on each hand in the last 10 years and am very happy. Funny enough I am finally going in tomorrow for my foot. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment from: Marc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

What I took for calluses, was the Dupuytren's contracture. After discussing the alternatives, my acupuncturist thought 'blue light' might work as well as pins. Blue light worked better. I don't know how it works, but I am 80 percent free of it after 10 or so treatments. I do not know if it will go away permanently or if this is a temporary relief. To me, it doesn't matter.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have developed small hard lumps in both hands under the ring finger after having carpal tunnel operations on both hands. I returned to my surgeon who diagnosed Dupuytren's contracture. My hands constantly ache but not sure if this is due to slow carpal tunnel recovery or my new problem. Carpal operations were 12 months and 9 months ago, not happy!

Comment from: Greamy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have Dupuytren's contracture in both hands, presently only the left pinky finger is affected. I have had two Xiaflex procedures, one year apart. My last procedure was not as successful as the first a year ago. My finger is not straight, and I agree the procedure is not a picnic. I get through the treatment, but it is not fun. Wish the procedure would get you through a longer period before the contracture begins. My paternal grandmother had Dupuytren's, but she never knew what it was. Her hands were totally contracted and severely handicapped her use of her hands. She and everyone else thought she had arthritis. She was of a European decent.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I am male, 64 years old, I have Dupuytren's in both hands and both feet, and I am miserable. I have had 7 surgeries including two amputations and it's only getting worse. My toes can't bend as easy as my fingers do, so they twist. I am walking on the side of my toes plus I have several big lumps on the bottom of my feet. The main problem I'm having getting treatment is, I have insurance but they don't have a clue what Dupuytren's is. All they want to do is keep operating and trying to put me in corrective shoes. When I first got the symptoms, sore bent pinky finger, I was only 18 years old, I didn't smoke or drink and was in good shape. I am blond with Scotch-Irish descent but no one in my family tree ever had Dupuytren's.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?