Patient Comments: Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: roberta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been a mail carrier for 28 years. In the past few months, my right hand has been very painful around the middle finger. I've had numbness at the end of the finger and thumb and find it hard to grasp things. I also can't close my hand completely. It looks like there's swelling just under my right thumb. I've been told I have Dupuytren's contracture. I've been using a paraffin (hot wax) bath treatment several times a day and massage the area under hot running water, alternating with ice packs. I'm thinking of going to a massage therapist. Surgery is the final option for me, due to the fact that I still have to work.

Comment from: Dot, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I was a hairdresser for years. I have recently been told that this is what I have. I am also a diabetic. It's annoying, as I garden quite a bit. According to my doctor, the surgery is hard to get over.

Dupuytren's Contracture - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?