Patient Comments: Dry Socket - Healing Time

How long was the healing time for your dry socket?

Comment from: Gramma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

One tough week, I had a bottom molar extracted. I went to the dentist already in pain, the tooth was overdue needing removal before I went for treatment, as I like many people shy from the dentist for obvious reasons. My tooth pain got better for a day, then I developed what I figured must be dry socket because the pain started worse than my original pain. I got back to the dentist on the third day after extraction. I received numbing shots and apparently the site was covered with bacteria which the dentist cleaned and repacked the extraction site. I was sent home being told the pain would subside. It did not. In tears I phoned the dentist and she ordered antibiotics and pain medicines for which unfortunately I did not make it to the pharmacy before it closing. Another night in pain and I started my medicines the following morning. This was a Friday so I made my way 45 minutes each way back to the dentist. More shots and then she x-rayed a wisdom tooth on the same side that a filling had fallen out of, that week. On examination it was decayed so one hour and 45 minutes in the chair. I had a root canal and new filling then a repack of my dry socket. Here I am Monday and finally feeling like myself pretty much. A hard week I must say but thankful to my dentist and her assistant. I called them today to say so.

Comment from: Rowenasheir, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had my left wisdom tooth extracted on Friday and by Saturday was in extreme pain (dry socket), not only in my mouth but along my jaw and into my left ear. I went on Moxymax 500 (antibiotic) and 400 mg ibuprofen with 500 mg paracetamol but still it was very painful. I read about using oil of cloves and tried it today. Since using it I have been pain free for 10 hours with only one drop! I wonder how often I should I use it. It seems very strong and I have read about side effects.

Comment from: R95, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

After having all four impacted wisdom teeth removed, I developed two dry sockets where the lower teeth were extracted. The pain began about two days after surgery, and became increasingly worse. I went back to the oral surgeon, who irrigated the wounds with saline, and then put a clove-infused dressing on each wound. The dressing needs to be changed once or twice in order to manage pain. I found that this dressing works better than any drug. I still feel a bit of pain after a week, but it's getting better. I'm just focusing on keeping the sockets clean so they don't get infected.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am a week into a dry socket. I have never had such pain. Finally today I took it upon myself to rub Orajel on my gums. The relief is much appreciated. I did not get permission from my dentist. I just did it! The dentist had very little help for me.

Comment from: ljm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had dry socket a few years ago after a tooth extraction. I believe the clot was pulled out when I removed the gauze the dentist put in my mouth because I recall seeing a very small yellow/brown cone-shaped piece of something on the gauze. Within moments the pain at the extraction site began and increased rapidly. I spent the next 6 1/2 days in excruciating, indescribable pain. I took every pain pill I could get my hands on with only minimal results. That experience has left me with a strong fear of having any future extractions.

Comment from: lavinak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have hypercementosis and had an extraction of number 4 tooth 6 weeks ago. I'm experiencing a lot of pain with dry socket and the only thing that helps is my finger in place of the missing tooth. I've had two course of antibiotics. The area has been checked twice and they thought I might need a root canal in tooth number 5. Specialist checked, with no reaction to hot, cold and pressure so she prescribed oral rinse. I looked and the area is white but doctor said that it's healing. Another doctor said just by looking at the x-ray that tooth number 5 needed treatment.

Comment from: Jd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

This is day 7 post extraction. I am in agony with dry socket and dentist won't pack it. It is worse than trigeminal neuralgia (TN). Not sure I can take much more of this pain. Even codeine doesn't work. I took Tegretol, which I had for TN takes the edge off it. I insisted on packing it today but it came out later on this evening and the pain is back. The dentist said there is nothing more he can do.

Dry Socket - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you had a dry socket?
Dry Socket - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for a dry socket?