Patient Comments: Dry Socket - Healing Time

How long was the healing time for your dry socket?

Comment from: Rowenasheir, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had my left wisdom tooth extracted on Friday and by Saturday was in extreme pain (dry socket), not only in my mouth but along my jaw and into my left ear. I went on Moxymax 500 (antibiotic) and 400 mg ibuprofen with 500 mg paracetamol but still it was very painful. I read about using oil of cloves and tried it today. Since using it I have been pain free for 10 hours with only one drop! I wonder how often I should I use it. It seems very strong and I have read about side effects.

Comment from: R95, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

After having all four impacted wisdom teeth removed, I developed two dry sockets where the lower teeth were extracted. The pain began about two days after surgery, and became increasingly worse. I went back to the oral surgeon, who irrigated the wounds with saline, and then put a clove-infused dressing on each wound. The dressing needs to be changed once or twice in order to manage pain. I found that this dressing works better than any drug. I still feel a bit of pain after a week, but it's getting better. I'm just focusing on keeping the sockets clean so they don't get infected.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am a week into a dry socket. I have never had such pain. Finally today I took it upon myself to rub Orajel on my gums. The relief is much appreciated. I did not get permission from my dentist. I just did it! The dentist had very little help for me.

Comment from: ljm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had dry socket a few years ago after a tooth extraction. I believe the clot was pulled out when I removed the gauze the dentist put in my mouth because I recall seeing a very small yellow/brown cone-shaped piece of something on the gauze. Within moments the pain at the extraction site began and increased rapidly. I spent the next 6 1/2 days in excruciating, indescribable pain. I took every pain pill I could get my hands on with only minimal results. That experience has left me with a strong fear of having any future extractions.

Comment from: gamama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had three wisdom teeth removed on January 13 this year (2015). When I went back a week later for my check up, I still had terrible pain. I did everything right and still developed dry socket. I have gone back every other day to have one particular socket repacked with medicated gauze. The upper and lower on one side seem to be a little better, but I still have throbbing pain on the other side, down my jaw and neck. The oral surgeon said the one side shows no sign of healing at all so far. I have given birth ten times and had shingles two years ago. The pain with this has been far worse than either of those. I'm a little worried about what is going to happen with this and how long I'm going to hurt.

Comment from: Jd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

This is day 7 post extraction. I am in agony with dry socket and dentist won't pack it. It is worse than trigeminal neuralgia (TN). Not sure I can take much more of this pain. Even codeine doesn't work. I took Tegretol, which I had for TN takes the edge off it. I insisted on packing it today but it came out later on this evening and the pain is back. The dentist said there is nothing more he can do.

Comment from: steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I know what you all feel. My number 17 tooth was extracted (lower left wisdom), and I am going on day 10 of dry socket. Night 5 was the worst. I'm on my 4th packing of socket and go tomorrow for 5th (to get through the weekend). Crazy, I tell you!

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a molar extracted and it didn"t go well. My dentist called for assistance after 1 hour and it took a further 2 hours to remove due to tooth breaking, root breaking, hooked root, etc. After 2 days the pain increased and I developed a foul taste in my mouth. I returned to the dentist to receive an official diagnosis of dry socket. The stitches were removed, the area was cleaned out, antiseptic gel applied, and then new stitches. That afternoon I slept for 2 hours - I haven"t slept during the day since I was pregnant - and felt totally drained; and sore! Hoping now it doesn"t happen again as the healing continues.

Dry Socket - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you had a dry socket?
Dry Socket - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for a dry socket?