Patient Comments: Dry Socket - Healing Time

How long was the healing time for your dry socket?

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a molar extracted and it didn"t go well. My dentist called for assistance after 1 hour and it took a further 2 hours to remove due to tooth breaking, root breaking, hooked root, etc. After 2 days the pain increased and I developed a foul taste in my mouth. I returned to the dentist to receive an official diagnosis of dry socket. The stitches were removed, the area was cleaned out, antiseptic gel applied, and then new stitches. That afternoon I slept for 2 hours - I haven"t slept during the day since I was pregnant - and felt totally drained; and sore! Hoping now it doesn"t happen again as the healing continues.

Comment from: Bud, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had two premolars extracted 6 days ago. The teeth were brittle from prior root canals, so they broke each time the dentist tried to pull them. Ended up drilling and suctioning pieces of teeth through the entire process, on both of them. Lots of bleeding, so lots of gauze, pressure, etc., to stop it. He sewed up the gingival tissue and placed a partial over the area. Sensation and pain came back around 6 hours later and hasn"t stopped now for the entire 6 days. Gum tissue is tender but healing with no extreme pain. The depth of the tooth socket is screaming in pain, so I seriously think I have a dry socket from the suctioning action of removing the pieces of tooth. One more day, since today is Sunday, and I am going back to the dentist to see if I can get some relief! Advil works great 30 minutes after taking it and for about three to four hours, then the socket is screaming again. I have had to have many teeth extracted over my lifetime, they never hurt like this one!

Comment from: Billy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I had a tooth extraction on 5th February 2014 and two days later I had to go back to the dentist because of the pain that followed. I was told that I had dry socket and that I was unlucky to get it as it was pretty rare. I was told to take painkillers and to rinse regularly, this helped a little but I still have a lot of pain in the area of the extraction. It radiates to my jaw bone, my left ear and my lower jaw; this pain is actually worse than the pain that I had when I had the troublesome tooth still in place! It is now the first day of April 2014, and as I am typing this I am still in pain, (2 months) I am just hoping that it heals soon.

Comment from: lynparra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

As a registered nurse (RN), I can tell you that if you"re still in pain this far down the line, you probably have infection in the jawbone as a result of dry socket. The blood clot that forms in the open wound after the tooth is extracted somehow got dislodged, thereby leaving the exposed bone/wound open to bacteria. Go back to the dentist as soon as possible. I had a tooth pulled 2 days ago, a lower, back molar. I started feeling pain in my jaw (nerve is exposed too) and looked in my mouth with an SM flashlight. I could see the bone... dry socket. I'm going back to the dentist today.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had developed dry socket after tooth extraction which was very painful. The dentist gave me medicated dressing for two alternate days. The healing takes more than a week. I took extra strength Advil for almost a full week. It's a horrible experience.

Dry Socket - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you had a dry socket?
Dry Socket - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for a dry socket?