Patient Comments: Dry Socket - Healing Time

How long was the healing time for your dry socket?

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am a week into a dry socket. I have never had such pain. Finally today I took it upon myself to rub Orajel on my gums. The relief is much appreciated. I did not get permission from my dentist. I just did it! The dentist had very little help for me.

Comment from: ljm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had dry socket a few years ago after a tooth extraction. I believe the clot was pulled out when I removed the gauze the dentist put in my mouth because I recall seeing a very small yellow/brown cone-shaped piece of something on the gauze. Within moments the pain at the extraction site began and increased rapidly. I spent the next 6 1/2 days in excruciating, indescribable pain. I took every pain pill I could get my hands on with only minimal results. That experience has left me with a strong fear of having any future extractions.

Comment from: gamama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had three wisdom teeth removed on January 13 this year (2015). When I went back a week later for my check up, I still had terrible pain. I did everything right and still developed dry socket. I have gone back every other day to have one particular socket repacked with medicated gauze. The upper and lower on one side seem to be a little better, but I still have throbbing pain on the other side, down my jaw and neck. The oral surgeon said the one side shows no sign of healing at all so far. I have given birth ten times and had shingles two years ago. The pain with this has been far worse than either of those. I'm a little worried about what is going to happen with this and how long I'm going to hurt.

Comment from: Bud, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had two premolars extracted 6 days ago. The teeth were brittle from prior root canals, so they broke each time the dentist tried to pull them. Ended up drilling and suctioning pieces of teeth through the entire process, on both of them. Lots of bleeding, so lots of gauze, pressure, etc., to stop it. He sewed up the gingival tissue and placed a partial over the area. Sensation and pain came back around 6 hours later and hasn"t stopped now for the entire 6 days. Gum tissue is tender but healing with no extreme pain. The depth of the tooth socket is screaming in pain, so I seriously think I have a dry socket from the suctioning action of removing the pieces of tooth. One more day, since today is Sunday, and I am going back to the dentist to see if I can get some relief! Advil works great 30 minutes after taking it and for about three to four hours, then the socket is screaming again. I have had to have many teeth extracted over my lifetime, they never hurt like this one!

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a molar extracted and it didn"t go well. My dentist called for assistance after 1 hour and it took a further 2 hours to remove due to tooth breaking, root breaking, hooked root, etc. After 2 days the pain increased and I developed a foul taste in my mouth. I returned to the dentist to receive an official diagnosis of dry socket. The stitches were removed, the area was cleaned out, antiseptic gel applied, and then new stitches. That afternoon I slept for 2 hours - I haven"t slept during the day since I was pregnant - and felt totally drained; and sore! Hoping now it doesn"t happen again as the healing continues.

Comment from: Kara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had two wisdom teeth extracted (one pulled, one cut) on Monday the 19th (2015). First two to three days were ok. Yesterday and today I have had constant, pulsating pain that covers nearly the entire left side lower jaw. When I looked in the socket yesterday I could see a bit of white (I assume it is bone). The initial irrigation with half Listerine, half water was soothing but the pain is still constant. Due to being at work I cannot go to dentist today so hopefully I survive until Monday! I have a high pain tolerance for my mouth so the pain isn't as much the problem as my fear of getting an infection is.

Comment from: Billy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I had a tooth extraction on 5th February 2014 and two days later I had to go back to the dentist because of the pain that followed. I was told that I had dry socket and that I was unlucky to get it as it was pretty rare. I was told to take painkillers and to rinse regularly, this helped a little but I still have a lot of pain in the area of the extraction. It radiates to my jaw bone, my left ear and my lower jaw; this pain is actually worse than the pain that I had when I had the troublesome tooth still in place! It is now the first day of April 2014, and as I am typing this I am still in pain, (2 months) I am just hoping that it heals soon.

Dry Socket - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you had a dry socket?
Dry Socket - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for a dry socket?