Patient Comments: Dry Socket - Treatment

What treatment did you have for a dry socket?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I got a tooth pulled and two days later I was experiencing worse pain than when the tooth hurt. Dry socket was diagnosed after going back to the dentist. He cleaned the area up and put in some gel packet and then stitched it up. He gave me Vicodin for the pain. All that did was make me sleep for a little bit but nothing for the pain. My mother suggested naproxen, 1000 mg. I took that and it at least made the pain bearable. It still hurts but at least not so badly that I want to hurt someone. It's going on the second week and I am still hurting just the same. I almost wish I had never gotten the tooth pulled to begin with! I go tomorrow to get the stitches out.

Comment from: flyerfan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Clinically my symptoms were textbook, foul taste with malodorous smell. Upon diagnosis I was treated with packing of medicinal iodoform every other day. It lasted for about 2 weeks.

Comment from: tillie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Pain became excruciating after two days following wisdom tooth extraction. I had lower and upper jaw pain radiating to temple, eye socket, ear, tongue and neck. I had a disgusting smell and smoky taste, and only strong narcotics relieved the pain until the dentist was able to apply a dressing. It felt as though my teeth and jaw had been smashed, wouldn't wish it upon anyone, horrible experience.

Comment from: Lia Lazarescu, (Patient) Published: December 01

After removal of teeth, the dentists should apply on the wounded gums of the patients, temporary caps made out of soft plastic gel. Such procedure will stop the food from getting into the wound and will drop the risk to the gums. It will also will stop the eventual loss of the blood clot and the dry socket problems. The caps should have very small perforations to let the air to circulate but not to permit remains of food to enter into the holes created in gums.

Comment from: kevin, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

I have got bad smell and breath, with a small white clot I think. I have no pain though from the dry socket. I think I need to see the dentist, it has me worried.

Comment from: M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have dry socket after tooth extraction last week, very painful. I just back from the dentist who has packet it with disposable dressing.

Comment from: Three sockets, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My teeth are bad due to 16 years of steroids for asthma. I had three teeth extracted and have a dry socket in all three teeth. I have been back twice to see the dentist. I am in so much pain I can't sleep. I tried clove oil and over the counter remedies but none of them are helping. I'm in lots of pain.

Dry Socket - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you had a dry socket?
Dry Socket - Healing Time Question: How long was the healing time for your dry socket?