Patient Comments: Dry Socket - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have when you had a dry socket?

Comment from: Nanci, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I am into day 30 of dry socket. The pain is like none other. I have been reading stories of people in their dentist offices crying because the pain is excruciating. I too am one of those patients. I know why people are driven to suicide because of pain. It is nothing like I have experienced before, I think the difficult thing is not knowing when it will stop. I have the classic nerve pain along me entire left jaw and up into my ear. The ear pain is something else too. I even asked for a nerve block but they won't do it.

Comment from: Natcat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

My dentist looked surprised after extracting the tooth in front of upper wisdom tooth. She said it was a dry socket. I never had one before. First 2 nights I took 2 painkillers as a precaution, today is 5th day and I haven't had any pain whatsoever. From 2nd day I rinsed with salty water 3 times a day. In fact this was the easiest extraction I've ever had.

Comment from: lmkdental, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am a periodontal patient. I have experienced dry socket, and it is very painful and the treatment is worse. Take care of your teeth!

Comment from: flyerfan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I experienced 2 separate dry sockets with impacted wisdom tooth extractions. I was in my early 20s. The pain was excruciating.

Dry Socket - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for a dry socket?
Dry Socket - Healing Time Question: How long was the healing time for your dry socket?