Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?

Comment from: kathy beeler, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have had a cold and in the last stages I came down with this dry mouth that won't anything help. Water by the gallon, juices, tea, coffee, which I drink daily , but nothing seems to help, but I did chew some gum and it relieved it for a little while. But it is so dry my lips stick to my teeth and my tongue to the roof of my mouth. It is also very painful to eat anything remotely spicy, which I love. even tasted a small amount of ketchup and it even burned. Could this be from the last stages of my cold or something else? I'm a smoker, don't drink, have diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep with a C-Pap machine. Never had this before now, only if my sugar count was high, this is not the case now.

Comment from: deebieann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I hate, hate my dry mouth. I wish there was a cure. I too have tried biotin toothpaste and rinse. Sorry to say they do not seem to help. So embarrassing at times trying to talk to people and your tongue just sticks to your mouth and feels heavy. I drink lots of water with lemon also to try and relieve it. The only thing I have found works some is using a childs toothpaste, as it foams more than most and my dentist gave me a pill called Salagen, and it seems to help for about three hours is all, but that works for when I have to go out and talk with people. There is also a generic for it, so that helps cost wise. I thought it may be a vitamin deficiency at some point, but I don't feel that way any longer as I am very healthy otherwise and take vitamins. Please if someone knows the cause of this please post it.

Comment from: Rock, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

My mouth is dry only at night. I know I sleep with my mouth open. I spray my nose with saline before going to bed, but it doesn't help. My nose isn't congested, so I don't know why I sleep with my mouth open. I've tried Biotene, but to no avail.

Comment from: BoBo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

To relieve symptoms of dry mouth, I switched toothpaste to a brand that is specifically made for dry mouth. It contains no sodium lauryl sulfate.

Comment from: Leo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

My mouth starts drying after brushing my teeth in the morning. This may caused by my alcohol use.

Comment from: georgiegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have been desperate; suddenly I woke up with a super dry mouth. I tried many ideas but one that has been very helpful is “pulling.” You swish coconut oil or olive oil like a gargle. I do it as often as the dryness feels painful.

Comment from: stickymouth, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 02

There is a product called Mouth Kote that seems to work really well for dry mouth. Lemony flavor instead of the mint and no bad after taste. The maker also has a product for my nose, which helps a lot during those seasonal allergy times.

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had dry mouth for years (on a scale of 1 to 10 it was an 11), still have a little of it but on a scale of 1 to 10, today it is about a 1. Have your calcium level checked as my endocrinologist said it is a symptom when your calcium level is high. I was on 1000 units of calcium twice a day and am now on 600 units once a day. Just a suggestion.

Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dry mouth.
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?