Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Causes

What causes your dry mouth?

Comment from: trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency and take lots of inhalers. I have dry eyes and an extremely dry mouth. I have trouble talking and sometimes when I go to swallow nothing happens. Other times I have so much saliva that I feel like I am drowning on it all. When I go to swallow saliva at night I have to cough as I feel that it sticks in my throat.

Comment from: Flameondo, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I always get dry mouth when I wake up. I wear braces and currently scheduled for jaw surgery next year. My jaw doesn't line up correctly, therefore my mouth stays open slightly (probably opens wider when I'm asleep). I think this is the main cause of my dry mouth. I also take regular paracetamol which I've heard can cause dry mouth if you take them before going to bed.

Comment from: cccourt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I believe I have discovered the root of my increasing severe dry mouth. I have had problems for years but in the last year it has increased 2000%. I have cottage cheese palate. I only wish I did have cottage cheese caked on my palate; I would have some fluid there. Seeing my physician's PA this morning for sialadenitis (salivary gland sludge or stones) a chronic condition for about 4 years, I mentioned the increased dry mouth. She stated it sounded like Sjogren's. I am not diagnosing myself, I am trying to reach a rheumatologist for further information and for testing to determine.

Comment from: terri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

My mouth just started getting dry. I was diagnosed with insulin resistance over 10 yrs ago but I'm not on any medicines. My throat is red and when I swallow it's like if something is in the way.

Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dry mouth.
Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?