Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Comment from: Dancer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had a dental implant procedure 5 years ago. I had mild nerve damage leaving me with a tongue that feels like cotton. My lower lip feels puffy. I am not sure if I have dry mouth or just a loss of feeling. I sip water or more often use ice chips which really make my mouth feel good. I take Arimidex for breast cancer which also dries out the whole body. I also have dry eye which is treated with Restasis. I am hoping in 2 years when I go off Arimidex that some of the dry mouth sensation will improve. My eye doctor says it will not change the dry eye problem, but I think it should get a little better! Why not!

Comment from: Revj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

In 2003, I was diagnosed with stage IV lymphoepithelial carcinoma of the right parotid gland, which had metastasized to 9 out of 51 lymph nodes that were tested. Treatment consisted of surgery, followed by six weeks of radiation therapy. I have been cancer-free since 2003, but I have severe dry mouth, which I treat with several Biotene products including, mouth rinse, toothpaste, oral spray, gel, as well as Act dry mouth lozenges. I eventually had to have all my teeth removed and I have a full set of dentures. Whenever I have needed other than routine dental care, I have had to undergo hyperbaric oxygen treatment for several weeks. Because of a problem with my lower dentures, I am considering dental implants, but doctors are divided on whether I would need hyperbaric oxygen treatment again before I have implants. My surgeon recommends it as a precaution, but the chief physician at the hyperbaric oxygen facility says he is not sure if it is worth it for a third time. I don't know.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I've had dry mouth for about 6 months now. Everything I read steered me to my medications being the cause. Surprise! It was my toothpaste. I switched to Crest Sensitive. It contains sodium lauryl sulfate which helped my gums but gave me a dry, burning mouth. Thank goodness I finally figured this out!

Comment from: catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had dry mouth for a year now. My blood work was inconclusive and my lip biopsy was negative. I wake up fine, the dryness starts around 11 am or earlier. Nothing I do or take seems to help it. It is much more pronounced when travelling in a hot country. Also, when I am under stress. I have tried the Biotin products, the mints, cough drops, the pilocarpine and lemon. After reading all the reader experiences, I see there is no solution. I also take Zopliclone every night to help me sleep. I have been so called diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

Comment from: Miserable, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have suffered with dry mouth for so long, years. The only helpful thing I've found is chewing sugarless gum, which I'm getting concerned about. What is three packs of gum a day doing to my teeth! I also am tortured with burning lips, which nothing except the sugarless gum helps. I have tried drinking lots of water, Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash, and spray, none of which help. I quit smoking eight months ago, which hasn't helped. I'm on the same medications which I've been on for years, Zetia and Coumadin. I've worked with my dentist, a dermatologist, and a dietician. None can diagnose either the dry mouth or the burning lips. I continue to use Biotene toothpaste as any other brand makes my lips burn even worse. These are truly miserable conditions to live with, with my only respite being sleep; and I must coat my lips with white petroleum jelly to get any sleep. I've tried at least a dozen lip balms. None work. Just the white petroleum jelly at night. Oddly, that same product does not help during waking hours! I don't know what else to do or where to turn. I'm so weary of living with these conditions.

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?