Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Comment from: annie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

I have in the last two years developed a very dry mouth and a tag of skin on the center of my tongue. It drives me mad, especially at night time, it wakes me 10 or 15 times a night when my mouth is so dry. I have had blood test after blood test to no avail. I have tried mouth sprays, gels, and they work for a matter of minutes that's all; I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have started to get dry mouth just at night and wake up two or three times to swill water round my mouth. I think it is due to a medication prescribed to reduce menstruation. Through the day my mouth feels more normal.

Comment from: Clark, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

I had 5 infective teeth removed in September. Lately I have developed a very dry mouth at night, and excessive spittle during the day. My age is 93, blood pressure 120 to 140/80, and weight 160. I ride bike/walk, both subject to weather.

Comment from: fed up, (Patient) Published: February 25

Like many others above, I am also suffering from dry mouth. It has been slowly getting worse over the last couple of years. I suffer from it badly of a night where I am constantly being awakened by a dry tingle that wakes me in a choke. It happens all through the night! Now I have just had a virus in my throat and sinuses, which has left me worse than ever. I seem to have now a constant dry throat and my neck feels like I am restricted in swallowing, and it is always worse of a night. I have just changed my tooth paste to SLS free. My doctor has not been of much help. Wish I could get to the bottom of this condition as sleep is a big issue, I am so tired. I have gallbladder polyps, don't know if this has any connection. My granddad had throat cancer.

Comment from: becky wesberry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

Nine months ago I had hip surgery. Post operation I was given extreme amounts of pain medications. My mouth became extremely and painfully dry. That lasted for 2 weeks plus. I also have Sjogren's syndrome, which makes my mouth somewhat dry anyway. But that episode was like nothing I had ever experienced. Now my tongue is still painful when I eat a semi spicy food, even ketchup. I actually have lacerations on it.

Comment from: kinggary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

My dry mouth is different from the rest, I have saliva but I have a biting feeling like you have after drinking very dry wine. I think it's from excess soda and alcohol. I had it for 6 months, cut way back on both but though I am not any better, not any worse either.

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have had dry mouth since my car accident. I have tried putting olive oil in my mouth and then biotin; this works well. I am also having acupuncture, this is helping too. He gave metallic strips to wear on my fingers, marvelous, this means I can talk all of the time. Other good thing to do when stuck is to take a small amount of cotton and roll into a ball. Then put it in your mouth between your gum and teeth, you will get saliva. But take it out before you eat. I can only drink milk and water at the moment.

Comment from: saima, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am suffering from dryness of tongue. It is very irritating. I am feeling thirsty and passing urine all the time. I have pain in gums, sometime on the right gum and sometime on the left. I have no disease which is listed in symptoms. I checked diabetes too. But everything is ok. I'm not using any medicine or drugs of any type.

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?