Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Comment from: authorkhira, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

A few months ago, I started suffering of xerostomia or dry mouth, but only when I am sleeping. Each hour I"m obliged to wake up to drink water. This makes me pass urine often which made be sleep-phobic. I became scared of bedtime so sometimes I"m obliged to spend my night awake... it"s really hard especially because I"m working.

Comment from: Sarge, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My wife has the dry-mouth symptoms, but says it's not dry-mouth. She has tried a lot of medications, changed her mouthwash, has arthritis, and does not smoke. Her mouth seems dry and when she uses the sprays, or mouth sore treatments, it only lasts for a short while. She was prescribed a medication which made the symptoms go away, but gave her heart palpitations to the point she thought she might be having heart trouble.

Comment from: kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I developed dry mouth after starting a new blood pressure medication. I have a bad taste in my mouth especially after eating. I also get a headache and have pain in my mouth from my back teeth rubbing against my tissue. My appetite is low and I have lost over 20 lbs (that"s good). I stopped the medication, but I still have the dry mouth. Chewing gum helps. I used to cry when I ate because it was so painful. It"s not that bad now, but I am sad.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I take daily medications and I have dry mouth and bad breath. I have periods of sore throat and inner ear problems. I am taking allergy shots. Nothing seems to work to rid of it. Drinking water and juices wets the mouth and scraping tongue after brushing helps which means several times a day. I tend to cover my mouth when speaking and close to someone, while raising my voice. I am faced with public thinking I'm not clean.

Comment from: blizzard, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had dry mouth for about 3 weeks now. It is not too bad in the morning but gets worse during the day and by bedtime it is really bad. Biotene Oral rinse doesn't help at all, nor do the lozenges. I don't take any medications nor have I had any treatments which might cause it. I thought I could handle this on my own, but I guess I'll have to see a doctor and try to get help. Yes, I do drink plenty of water.

Comment from: Ebert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I recently (in June) quit smoking and I am on a couple of medications the side effect of which is dry mouth. I have dry mouth and a constant tickle on the left side of the back of my throat. I am constantly swallowing to keep the tickle at bay.

Published: July 23

I suffer from end stage lung disease (COPD) I am presently going through a flare up and my oxygen drops into the 80's with minimum exertion. I am on 20 mg of prednisone (tapering off) and was on Factive. I take 20mg of Lexapro, Spiriva, Advair, Protonix, theophylline and 20 mg of Micardis. I put on weight (5'4, 236 lbs-female) but I had a very thorough exam for my heart- no sugar, cholesterol or triglyceride problem, no thyroid, stress test and echo perfect as well as blood pressure (it goes up a bit when I exert but usually is runs about 130/80 or bad is 140/90. Sometime it drops to 117/78. So, in that regard I am very lucky. My mouth became dry and I became very thirsty with this flare up (it has been going on now for about 3.5 weeks) I have a partial bridge and caps. I do not know what to make of it. I also noticed my skin getting very dry so I bought some Gatoraid and drank that and it helped for about 3 days. Seems like I'm dehydrated. I am constantly drinking water - maybe 10 glasses or so. Am constantly going to the bathroon to urinate and do have a yeast infection that will not go away. I also have been having headaches - mild and get dizzy- which I think is from the drop in oxygen. What do you suggest? Which doctor should I see- my primary, pulmonist, ENT, gynocologist or all? Sorry for the overload. I am 55 yrs. old if that makes any difference. I get hot flashes now and then but mostly in the extremities and do not sweat just get hot on the top of my head. (don't laugh-is true) Thanks... Maria

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?