Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Comment from: catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had dry mouth for a year now. My blood work was inconclusive and my lip biopsy was negative. I wake up fine, the dryness starts around 11 am or earlier. Nothing I do or take seems to help it. It is much more pronounced when travelling in a hot country. Also, when I am under stress. I have tried the Biotin products, the mints, cough drops, the pilocarpine and lemon. After reading all the reader experiences, I see there is no solution. I also take Zopliclone every night to help me sleep. I have been so called diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

Comment from: Miserable, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have suffered with dry mouth for so long, years. The only helpful thing I've found is chewing sugarless gum, which I'm getting concerned about. What is three packs of gum a day doing to my teeth! I also am tortured with burning lips, which nothing except the sugarless gum helps. I have tried drinking lots of water, Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash, and spray, none of which help. I quit smoking eight months ago, which hasn't helped. I'm on the same medications which I've been on for years, Zetia and Coumadin. I've worked with my dentist, a dermatologist, and a dietician. None can diagnose either the dry mouth or the burning lips. I continue to use Biotene toothpaste as any other brand makes my lips burn even worse. These are truly miserable conditions to live with, with my only respite being sleep; and I must coat my lips with white petroleum jelly to get any sleep. I've tried at least a dozen lip balms. None work. Just the white petroleum jelly at night. Oddly, that same product does not help during waking hours! I don't know what else to do or where to turn. I'm so weary of living with these conditions.

Comment from: annie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

I have in the last two years developed a very dry mouth and a tag of skin on the center of my tongue. It drives me mad, especially at night time, it wakes me 10 or 15 times a night when my mouth is so dry. I have had blood test after blood test to no avail. I have tried mouth sprays, gels, and they work for a matter of minutes that's all; I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have started to get dry mouth just at night and wake up two or three times to swill water round my mouth. I think it is due to a medication prescribed to reduce menstruation. Through the day my mouth feels more normal.

Comment from: Clark, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

I had 5 infective teeth removed in September. Lately I have developed a very dry mouth at night, and excessive spittle during the day. My age is 93, blood pressure 120 to 140/80, and weight 160. I ride bike/walk, both subject to weather.

Comment from: fed up, (Patient) Published: February 25

Like many others above, I am also suffering from dry mouth. It has been slowly getting worse over the last couple of years. I suffer from it badly of a night where I am constantly being awakened by a dry tingle that wakes me in a choke. It happens all through the night! Now I have just had a virus in my throat and sinuses, which has left me worse than ever. I seem to have now a constant dry throat and my neck feels like I am restricted in swallowing, and it is always worse of a night. I have just changed my tooth paste to SLS free. My doctor has not been of much help. Wish I could get to the bottom of this condition as sleep is a big issue, I am so tired. I have gallbladder polyps, don't know if this has any connection. My granddad had throat cancer.

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?