Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Comment from: ree, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have a very dry mouth, my tongue burns all day and I also experience burning on my scalp. I have been to many doctors, no one has an answer; doctors just shrug their shoulders. I don't know what type of doctor to go to now to handle this. I went to primary, neurologist, dermatologist, ENT, and no answers from any of them.

Comment from: Sandipub, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My husband has severe COPD and very dry mouth so it makes it very difficult to eat and swallow. He does use Act mouth rinse.

Comment from: Ebert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I recently (in June) quit smoking and I am on a couple of medications the side effect of which is dry mouth. I have dry mouth and a constant tickle on the left side of the back of my throat. I am constantly swallowing to keep the tickle at bay.

Comment from: Ljo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My dry mouth came on suddenly. I was taking nitrofurantoin monohyd mac 100. Dry mouth as a side effect not mentioned! But, I don't know what else could've caused it so suddenly. During this 8 days of pills I also had the flu, or so I thought. Some side effects of this medication are body and joint ache, chills, headache and eye pain. So, I am hoping it goes away by itself. I've only had it for 2 days and it is very annoying.

Comment from: Michele, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have extreme dry mouth and throat. Nighttime is the absolute worst. Sometimes when I wake up with my mouth so dry, my tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth. Sometimes I wake up and can't swallow and I feel like I'm going to choke to death. It has come on all of a sudden and I have had it for about 5 months now.

Comment from: Reba, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

At night my mouth gets so dry that my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth, sometimes it feels like it's not going to open.

Comment from: Penny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I wake up during the night with dry mouth at least ten times.

Comment from: Kaysey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have never had dry mouth until recently after having hip replacement surgery. I wake up 3 to 4 times in the night/morning with my mouth feeling like it is full of cotton. The only medication I am taking is Coumadin. I am also taking iron, vitamin D and vitamin B12. After two nosebleeds, one severe, I was taken off Coumadin for one day and then put on a smaller dose. The morning after stopping Coumadin I did not have dry mouth, but it has now resumed with the resumption of Coumadin. Fortunately today is the last day I need to take it.

Comment from: Jasmin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My medication (carbamezepine) makes it feel like my mouth is dry, and I'm incredibly thirsty. This is frustrating, as I have actually got an overproductive spit gland, and usually drink at least a gallon of water per day.

Comment from: MAYURI, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have also experience 4rm dry mouth but 1 day i realized that dry mouth could be due 2 constipation n i immediately went 4 check up ann i got the result that i was having liver problem from dat day i started taking liver medicines n brushing wd flouride content toothpaste n avoiding toothpaste dat makes my mouth more dry plus i use 2 drink 8 liters of water in a day.......n it worked a lot

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?