Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Published: June 18

My mouth is dry at night and I keep a bottle of water nearby to relieve the symptom. I take medication for hypertension and cholesterol.

Published: June 18

I am searching the Net for more information on this subject. I am 61 and over the past year I have been waking several times each night with a dry, parched mouth. My tongue feels like it is three times larger than it usually does and the inside of my mouth is like a desert. I keep a glass of water by my bed at all times and sip on it when I am wakened by this, for surely it does awaken me. My sleep is being severely interrupted by this phenomenon. I have no other symptoms and do not take any other medication except an occasional Robaxin for back pain.

Published: June 12

I am a Registered Nurse. I have worked in many hospital settings. When a patent experiences a dry mouth for what ever reason, I also have the dietary department bring sliced lemons for the patient to suck on. This seems to activate the salivary glands to produce much needed moisture. I have a lot of sinus and allergy problems. I also use lemons for my own use. Hope this may help someone.

Published: June 11

My mouth gets so dry at night that it literally sticks shut and I have a difficult time tearing my tongue away from the top of my mouth. I am on bladder medication (oxybutynin).

Published: June 11

Sometimes I try to remember what it is like to have a normal mouth with saliva. That is not my present reality. I have dry mouth due to Sjögren's Syndrome. No matter how much I drink, my mouth always feels sticky and dry. When I wake up in the morning, I can barely swallow. I can no longer lick an envelope or spit (not that I was much of a spitter). The corners of my mouth often crack from dryness and my tongue hurts. I can't eat anything spicy or use any minty oral care products as they hurt my tongue. I use special toothpastes and other products for dry mouth but nothing really helps. I have difficulty talking unless I chew gum so I always carry it with me. Can I remember what it was like before I developed this problem.

Published: June 10

I was told that I had sleep apnea and that it was border line, if I didn't sleep with a mask on at night it would get worse, and could even cause death. Prior to this I did not have dry mouth. I followed Doctors orders and began sleeping with a mask eight months, I developed dry mouth. It got so bad I just quit, now at night between 3:00 am and 4:00 am my mouth get so dry that my tongue bleeds and blood gets on my lips. I have to get up and rinse my mouth out because the blood dries on mt lips and leaves a very uncomfortable feeling.

Published: June 09

Lately I've woke up with such a dry mouth that I can not swallow. I keep water on the night stand for such occasions, but sipping water throughout the night does not seem to help. Therefore I'm awake a large portion of the night.

Published: June 09

My dry mouth only occurs at night and has been a symptom for about three months. I occasional use some form of decongestant and had for a short time used Claritin nightly for about two weeks to stop a post nasal drip that made me cough. During the day there seems to be no problem, perhaps because I drink more water regularly.

Published: June 09

I was diagnosed 9 months ago with Parkinsons Disease ("PD"). One of the medications I am taking (Azilect) lists, among others, a side effect of dry mouth. The PD itself I believe can cause dry mouth also. My mouth gets so dry at times that my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. My tongue is constantly sore - like it was scalded - and I am forever getting a membrane type of coating over the roof of my mouth too which is a dog of a thing to shift. Dry lips, coated tongue, bad breath etc all seem to be part of the package. My teeth aren't the strongest, so I try to avoid chewing gum too much, and now use mint sweets to suck on. It only helps slightly. Any ideas or advice out there?

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?