Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I take daily medications and I have dry mouth and bad breath. I have periods of sore throat and inner ear problems. I am taking allergy shots. Nothing seems to work to rid of it. Drinking water and juices wets the mouth and scraping tongue after brushing helps which means several times a day. I tend to cover my mouth when speaking and close to someone, while raising my voice. I am faced with public thinking I'm not clean.

Comment from: blizzard, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had dry mouth for about 3 weeks now. It is not too bad in the morning but gets worse during the day and by bedtime it is really bad. Biotene Oral rinse doesn't help at all, nor do the lozenges. I don't take any medications nor have I had any treatments which might cause it. I thought I could handle this on my own, but I guess I'll have to see a doctor and try to get help. Yes, I do drink plenty of water.

Published: July 23

I suffer from end stage lung disease (COPD) I am presently going through a flare up and my oxygen drops into the 80's with minimum exertion. I am on 20 mg of prednisone (tapering off) and was on Factive. I take 20mg of Lexapro, Spiriva, Advair, Protonix, theophylline and 20 mg of Micardis. I put on weight (5'4, 236 lbs-female) but I had a very thorough exam for my heart- no sugar, cholesterol or triglyceride problem, no thyroid, stress test and echo perfect as well as blood pressure (it goes up a bit when I exert but usually is runs about 130/80 or bad is 140/90. Sometime it drops to 117/78. So, in that regard I am very lucky. My mouth became dry and I became very thirsty with this flare up (it has been going on now for about 3.5 weeks) I have a partial bridge and caps. I do not know what to make of it. I also noticed my skin getting very dry so I bought some Gatoraid and drank that and it helped for about 3 days. Seems like I'm dehydrated. I am constantly drinking water - maybe 10 glasses or so. Am constantly going to the bathroon to urinate and do have a yeast infection that will not go away. I also have been having headaches - mild and get dizzy- which I think is from the drop in oxygen. What do you suggest? Which doctor should I see- my primary, pulmonist, ENT, gynocologist or all? Sorry for the overload. I am 55 yrs. old if that makes any difference. I get hot flashes now and then but mostly in the extremities and do not sweat just get hot on the top of my head. (don't laugh-is true) Thanks... Maria

Comment from: ree, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have a very dry mouth, my tongue burns all day and I also experience burning on my scalp. I have been to many doctors, no one has an answer; doctors just shrug their shoulders. I don't know what type of doctor to go to now to handle this. I went to primary, neurologist, dermatologist, ENT, and no answers from any of them.

Comment from: Sandipub, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My husband has severe COPD and very dry mouth so it makes it very difficult to eat and swallow. He does use Act mouth rinse.

Comment from: Ebert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I recently (in June) quit smoking and I am on a couple of medications the side effect of which is dry mouth. I have dry mouth and a constant tickle on the left side of the back of my throat. I am constantly swallowing to keep the tickle at bay.

Comment from: Ljo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My dry mouth came on suddenly. I was taking nitrofurantoin monohyd mac 100. Dry mouth as a side effect not mentioned! But, I don't know what else could've caused it so suddenly. During this 8 days of pills I also had the flu, or so I thought. Some side effects of this medication are body and joint ache, chills, headache and eye pain. So, I am hoping it goes away by itself. I've only had it for 2 days and it is very annoying.

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?