Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Published: July 21

To treat my dry mouth, I have two glasses of water before bed. I try to form saliva as much as possible. I don't have coffee — even decaff. Yes, sugar-free juices and mints help.

Published: July 18

Sores in my mouth and tongue for about two years being treated with a prednisone mouth wash and is not getting any better. It is not the medications I am on because my doctor already had started eliminating each med but nothing has helped. My age is 81.

Published: July 10

For 2 years now I have woken up every morning with a mouth so dry it feels like I have spent a month lost in the desert without water. My doctor tells me only that I must sleep with my mouth open as a result of congestion. My nasal passages are clear upon waking so I think it has some other cause. I take no meds, only vitamins, digestive enzymes and protein powder.

Published: July 07

I have only had what I call a dry mouth for a week and a half, and already I am quite tired of it. I read that most people with this condition complain of no saliva; however, I have saliva, and can swallow it. But my tongue is dry and split and sore. I have sores in my mouth from the cheeks sticking to my teeth when I shut my mouth for even a few minutes. It came on suddenly. I have no idea what is causing it. The doctor suggested rheumatoid arthritis; I'm still waiting for test results.

Published: July 07

I believe I get a dry mouth from my stomach; perhaps food is digested or not digested, am I too acidic, is it the stress that I have been going through. I just know it's very uncomfortable, I am constantly drawing for saliva and this looks and sounds awful. I believe it started when I was drinking a lot of coffee, perhaps I damaged something. The dryness comes and goes sometimes worse sometimes less. I am on a sedative mainly for sleep but I find that this sometimes helps me by calming stomach nerves.

Published: June 25

I have Sjogren's syndrome because of fibromyalgia. Consequently, I have dry eyes and dry mouth. The eyes I can handle with drops, but the mouth is a big problem. It's constantly dry day and night. I suck on sugar-free candy, drink lots of water, etc. Often I can't open my mouth, and talking is a chore at times.

Published: June 24

I have been experiencing dry mouth for the last six weeks now and it affects me mostly at night when I go to sleep. I do not take medication for anything and not inclined to take pain killers either. The only thing I have done is changed my toothpaste and I am not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Published: June 24

I have terrible dry mouth. I wake up at night with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. It hurts to get it loose. During the day I have spells of dry mouth that make it hard to talk. It is getting worse. I have started keeping a water bottle with me. I take many medicines I take steroids for Addison's-blood pressure meds, 3 of them, Neurontin for arthritis and thyroid meds. That is likely to be part of my problem. I wish I could find a way to not have dry mouth.

Published: June 19

I am taking Zopiclone at night 1 tablet 7.5mg, I have an awful dry mouth but worst of all a great deal of my food tastes like poison & my wife is throwing out good food to the birds everyday. I have been on these tablets for 8 weeks, I also take Amitriptyline 10mg at night.

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?