Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Comment from: Ljo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My dry mouth came on suddenly. I was taking nitrofurantoin monohyd mac 100. Dry mouth as a side effect not mentioned! But, I don't know what else could've caused it so suddenly. During this 8 days of pills I also had the flu, or so I thought. Some side effects of this medication are body and joint ache, chills, headache and eye pain. So, I am hoping it goes away by itself. I've only had it for 2 days and it is very annoying.

Comment from: Michele, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have extreme dry mouth and throat. Nighttime is the absolute worst. Sometimes when I wake up with my mouth so dry, my tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth. Sometimes I wake up and can't swallow and I feel like I'm going to choke to death. It has come on all of a sudden and I have had it for about 5 months now.

Comment from: Penny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I wake up during the night with dry mouth at least ten times.

Comment from: Kaysey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have never had dry mouth until recently after having hip replacement surgery. I wake up 3 to 4 times in the night/morning with my mouth feeling like it is full of cotton. The only medication I am taking is Coumadin. I am also taking iron, vitamin D and vitamin B12. After two nosebleeds, one severe, I was taken off Coumadin for one day and then put on a smaller dose. The morning after stopping Coumadin I did not have dry mouth, but it has now resumed with the resumption of Coumadin. Fortunately today is the last day I need to take it.

Comment from: Jasmin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My medication (carbamezepine) makes it feel like my mouth is dry, and I'm incredibly thirsty. This is frustrating, as I have actually got an overproductive spit gland, and usually drink at least a gallon of water per day.

Comment from: MAYURI, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have also experience 4rm dry mouth but 1 day i realized that dry mouth could be due 2 constipation n i immediately went 4 check up ann i got the result that i was having liver problem from dat day i started taking liver medicines n brushing wd flouride content toothpaste n avoiding toothpaste dat makes my mouth more dry plus i use 2 drink 8 liters of water in a day.......n it worked a lot

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 Female Published: May 20

This is for Kathy, who mentioned she had dry mouth and dry eyes. Have you been checked for Sjogren's syndrome? It's a rheumatic condition – a form of arthritis. I have it, and have had dry eyes (I use Restasis with great results) and am working on taking care of my increasingly dry mouth.

Published: July 21

I have had dry mouth for a long time due to several autoimmune diseases. The only thing that helps me is Biotene Oral Balance Dry Mouth Moisturizing Gel. They now make a spray that I can't use because it hurts my mouth. I've tried everything and this gel is the best because it soothes your mouth and doesn't sting. Most places stock the spray, and I have to buy the gel online. If I drink a lot of water at night it helps, but then I'm up running to the bathroom.

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?