Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have had dry mouth since my car accident. I have tried putting olive oil in my mouth and then biotin; this works well. I am also having acupuncture, this is helping too. He gave metallic strips to wear on my fingers, marvelous, this means I can talk all of the time. Other good thing to do when stuck is to take a small amount of cotton and roll into a ball. Then put it in your mouth between your gum and teeth, you will get saliva. But take it out before you eat. I can only drink milk and water at the moment.

Comment from: saima, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am suffering from dryness of tongue. It is very irritating. I am feeling thirsty and passing urine all the time. I have pain in gums, sometime on the right gum and sometime on the left. I have no disease which is listed in symptoms. I checked diabetes too. But everything is ok. I'm not using any medicine or drugs of any type.

Comment from: Wayne, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

My mouth at night gets so dry that my cheeks and lips stick to my teeth. I use a CPAP machine with humidifier and breathe through my nose. I drink plenty of water during the day and usually get up a couple of times at night to urinate unless I've eaten something salty. My mouth tends to fall open while sleeping, but I continue to breathe through my nose. I take several medications which can cause dry mouth.

Comment from: The lemon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

My urologist put me on oxybutynin 10 mg for incontinence, which really helped that problem, but it caused dry mouth. My tongue is on fire now. The sides of my tongue and roof of my mouth have a burning sensation as well. I stopped the medication in hopes that my tongue will stop burning but it's only been one day. I have numerous health issues like chronic pain, sciatica, insulin controlled diabetes, pinched nerve in my neck, knee and shoulder pain from a fall 3 years ago. I've just had tests done on my heart with good results but this burning tongue is horrible! I'm going to try the baking soda rinses and hope it works. I'm almost totally house bound and suffer with depression. I feel for anyone who suffers with this syndrome.

Comment from: diamount, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I've had infrequent bouts of dry mouth, but now it seems it's been the longest. I don't smoke, take any medication or have obvious symptoms related to it. Water rarely does anything even when sipping in large quantities, chewing gum seems to be the only thing to alleviate it but I don't want to keep doing that as my jaw will fall off at this rate.

Comment from: Rose, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 28

About 9 months ago I noticed I was awakening during the night with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. This woke me up several times and I had to drink some water. The condition continues. I also get a dry mouth feeling during the day. I have sucked non-sweetener boiled sweets or Polo's or chewed gum, tried raw pineapple, and tongue gel, nothing lasts very long. I've had a sleep apnea test. I snore but it wasn't too bad on the test. I've tried a tongue ball, but my top back teeth rub against my tongue and make it sore. I don't want to wear a sleeping mask. It is really annoying as I wake up several times during the night.

Comment from: authorkhira, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

A few months ago, I started suffering of xerostomia or dry mouth, but only when I am sleeping. Each hour I"m obliged to wake up to drink water. This makes me pass urine often which made be sleep-phobic. I became scared of bedtime so sometimes I"m obliged to spend my night awake... it"s really hard especially because I"m working.

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?