Patient Comments: Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

Comment from: Wayne, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

My mouth at night gets so dry that my cheeks and lips stick to my teeth. I use a CPAP machine with humidifier and breathe through my nose. I drink plenty of water during the day and usually get up a couple of times at night to urinate unless I've eaten something salty. My mouth tends to fall open while sleeping, but I continue to breathe through my nose. I take several medications which can cause dry mouth.

Comment from: The lemon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

My urologist put me on oxybutynin 10 mg for incontinence, which really helped that problem, but it caused dry mouth. My tongue is on fire now. The sides of my tongue and roof of my mouth have a burning sensation as well. I stopped the medication in hopes that my tongue will stop burning but it's only been one day. I have numerous health issues like chronic pain, sciatica, insulin controlled diabetes, pinched nerve in my neck, knee and shoulder pain from a fall 3 years ago. I've just had tests done on my heart with good results but this burning tongue is horrible! I'm going to try the baking soda rinses and hope it works. I'm almost totally house bound and suffer with depression. I feel for anyone who suffers with this syndrome.

Comment from: diamount, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I've had infrequent bouts of dry mouth, but now it seems it's been the longest. I don't smoke, take any medication or have obvious symptoms related to it. Water rarely does anything even when sipping in large quantities, chewing gum seems to be the only thing to alleviate it but I don't want to keep doing that as my jaw will fall off at this rate.

Comment from: Rose, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 28

About 9 months ago I noticed I was awakening during the night with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. This woke me up several times and I had to drink some water. The condition continues. I also get a dry mouth feeling during the day. I have sucked non-sweetener boiled sweets or Polo's or chewed gum, tried raw pineapple, and tongue gel, nothing lasts very long. I've had a sleep apnea test. I snore but it wasn't too bad on the test. I've tried a tongue ball, but my top back teeth rub against my tongue and make it sore. I don't want to wear a sleeping mask. It is really annoying as I wake up several times during the night.

Comment from: authorkhira, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

A few months ago, I started suffering of xerostomia or dry mouth, but only when I am sleeping. Each hour I"m obliged to wake up to drink water. This makes me pass urine often which made be sleep-phobic. I became scared of bedtime so sometimes I"m obliged to spend my night awake... it"s really hard especially because I"m working.

Comment from: Sarge, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My wife has the dry-mouth symptoms, but says it's not dry-mouth. She has tried a lot of medications, changed her mouthwash, has arthritis, and does not smoke. Her mouth seems dry and when she uses the sprays, or mouth sore treatments, it only lasts for a short while. She was prescribed a medication which made the symptoms go away, but gave her heart palpitations to the point she thought she might be having heart trouble.

Comment from: kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I developed dry mouth after starting a new blood pressure medication. I have a bad taste in my mouth especially after eating. I also get a headache and have pain in my mouth from my back teeth rubbing against my tissue. My appetite is low and I have lost over 20 lbs (that"s good). I stopped the medication, but I still have the dry mouth. Chewing gum helps. I used to cry when I ate because it was so painful. It"s not that bad now, but I am sad.

Dry Mouth - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?
Dry Mouth - Causes Question: What causes your dry mouth?