Patient Comments: Drug Allergy - Drugs

What drug(s) are you allergic to?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

My daughter is at the moment in hospital for over 1 week with red rashes that appeared over her body and face. She feels very tired and exhausted as she is not eating much. Yesterday she received biopsy results which said that she has drug allergy. When being asked she said she took malaria vaccine 2 days before going to Cambodia 3 weeks ago. She is now waiting for another result of test to see if she is affected by any virus infections. I am so concerned and care for her, not knowing what sort of cream or any treatment I should apply now to rapidly relieve her mouth and lip pains.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I took amoxicillin before going to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned. I have a knee replacement which is why I had the amoxicillin, per order by my surgeon. About 3 hours later I became weak, faint, had the cold sweats, lay on the bed and called for help. My family next door called 911 and I has taken to the emergency room. I was semiconscious and couldn't talk.

Comment from: Glory, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

About 8 years ago while being treated at a hospital, I was told I needed an endoscopy and that included contrast dye. I refused because of severe seafood allergy and they said they'd quit seeing me because I refused that contrast dye-based test. Now my allergist is trying to talk me into a flu shot again, and I said no again due to egg allergy. Even though a new shot has no egg it may have seafood in it and pharmacies will not disclose which have seafood and which don't. Why can't the medical world develop tests and disclose all ingredients for those of us who would love to enjoy foods we can't even tolerate in the air much less have injected into our bodies! I'm not obstinate I just don't want to die to prove that my concern is correct.

Drug Allergy - Symptoms Question: Describe your symptoms associated with drug allergies.
Drug Allergy - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams did you receive before being diagnosed with a drug allergy?
Drug Allergy - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medications, did you receive for your drug allergy?
Drug Allergy - Preparedness Question: If you have a known drug allergy, how are you prepared to handle an emergency or possible exposure?