Patient Comments: Drug Abuse - Treatments

What help or treatments did you or a friend seek for drug abuse or addiction?

Comment from: JanelleP, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My sister went to Serenity Acres. It is a drug and alcohol treatment center. Before she went in, she was drinking and using drugs every day. It was so bad that she would steal from me and my dad. She went to Serenity Acres for 60 days. And when she came home, it was the first time she was like herself in years. I am so grateful. She told me that she did all sorts of cool activities while she was there. She said she went horseback riding, and zip lining. She goes to Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings now, and is really involved in recovery. I have never seen her so happy!

Comment from: healthworker1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have just put myself into a pain management program to detox and find other ways to treat the fibro pain. I was up to 180 mg-220 mg of oxycodone per day. I felt fine but knew I could not work this way much longer.

Comment from: 555.9, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I attended a four week day program, and was off to a good start. Unfortunately, there is virtually no place to go for follow-up treatment and support. Patients go from the structured program right back into their old routines and situations unaided.

Comment from: Grateful, 25-34 Female Published: December 08

I went to two months of outpatient treatment while attending N.A. meetings. Finally I was able to get into the inpatient house. I stayed for 5 out of 6 months. I left early and began attending meetings immediately, found someone to be a sponsor, worked (still work) steps. Took the suggestions people (with clean time) gave me. I have 2 1/2 years clean. If I can do it--anyone can.

Drug Abuse - Screening Test Question: Please describe your experience with a drug screening test.
Drug Abuse - Symptoms Question: What were signs and symptoms of drug abuse in a friend or relative?
Drug Abuse - Personal Experience Question: Please describe your experience with drug abuse.