- Prescription Drug Abuse Slideshow: Facts and Statistics
- OTC and Prescription Drug Abuse Slideshow Pictures
- Health Risks of Alcohol Abuse Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Drug Abuse - Treatments
- Patient Comments: Drug Abuse - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Drug Abuse - Personal Experience
- Find a local Psychiatrist in your town
- Drug use disorder facts
- What is drug use disorder?
- What types of drugs are commonly abused?
- What are the physical and psychological effects of drug use disorders?
- What are causes and risk factors for developing a drug use disorder?
- What are warning signs that you or a loved one may have a drug use disorder?
- What are symptoms and signs of drug use disorder?
- What happens to your brain when you take drugs?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose drug addiction?
- What is the treatment for drug addiction?
- What are complications of drug addiction?
- What is the prognosis of drug use disorder?
- Is it possible to prevent drug abuse and addiction?
- Where can people get more information and help for drug use disorders?
Quick GuideAddicted to Pills: The Health Risks of Drug Abuse
Where can people get more information and help for drug use disorders?
- Al-Anon-Alateen: 888-4AL-ANON
- Alcoholics Anonymous World Services: 212-870-3400
- American Council on Alcoholism treatment referral line: 800-527-5344
- Kids Against Drugs: http://www.kidsagainstdrugs.com
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving: 800-GET-MADD
- Narconon: http://www.narconon.org/
- Narcotics Anonymous: http://www.na.org
- National Clearinghouse for Alcoholism and Drug Information: 800-729-6686
- National Cocaine Hotline: 800-COCAINE (262-2463)
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence: 800-NCA-CALL
- National Drug Information Treatment and Referral Hotline: 800-662-HELP (4357)
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism: 301-443-3860
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: http://www.nida.nih.gov
- National Resource Center: 866-870-4979
Medically reviewed by Marina Katz, MD; American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Treatment Revision. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition. Arlington, Virginia: American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
American Psychiatric Association. Treatment of Patients with Substance Use Disorders, Second Edition. Arlington, Virginia: American Psychiatric Association, 2006.
Brown, T.T. and A.S. Dobs. "Endocrine effects of marijuana." Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 42 (2002): 90S-96S.
Chermack, S.T., R.L. Murray, M.A. Walton, B.A. Booth, J. Wryobeck, and F.C. Blow. "Partner Aggression Among Men and Women in Substance Use Disorder Treatment: Correlates of Psychological and Physical Aggression and Injury." Drug and Alcohol Dependence 98.1-2 Nov. 2008: 35-44.
Compton, W.M., Y.F. Thomas, F.S. Stinson, and B.F. Grant. "Prevalence, Correlates, Disability and Comorbidity of DSM-IV Drug Abuse and Dependence in the United States." Archives of General Psychiatry 64.5 (2007): 566-576.
Drake, R.E., and K.T. Mueser. "Psychosocial Approaches to Dual Diagnosis." Schizophrenia Bulletin 26.1 (2000): 105-118.
Drake, R.E., and M.A. Wallach. "Dual Diagnosis: 15 Years of Progress." Psychiatric Services 51 Sept. 2000: 1126-1129.
Ducci, F., M.A. Enoch, Q. Yuan, P.H. Shen, et al. "HTR3B Is Associated With Alcoholism With Antisocial Behavior and Alpha EEG-Power -- An Intermediate Phenotype for Alcoholism and Co-Morbid Behaviors." Alcohol 43.1 Feb. 2009: 73-84.
Etheridge, R.M., J.C. Smith, J.L. Rounds-Bryant, and R.L. Hubbard. "Drug Abuse Treatment and Comprehensive Services for Adolescents." Journal of Adolescent Research 16 (2001): 563-589.
Farrell, H.M. "Batterers: a review of violence and risk assessment tools." Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 39.4 Dec. 2011: 562-574.
Farrer, S. "School-Based Program Promotes Positive Behavior, Reduces Risk Factors for Drug Use, Other Problems." National Institute of Drug Abuse 18.6 (2004).
Fillmore, M.T. "Drug Abuse as a Problem of Impaired Control: Current Approaches and Findings." Behavioral Cognitive Neuroscience Review 2 (2003): 179.
Flensborg-Madsen, T., J. Knop, E.L. Mortensen, et al. "Amount of Alcohol Consumption and Risk of Developing Alcoholism in Men and Women." Alcohol and Alcoholism 42.5 (2007): 442-447.
Friedman, R.A. "The Changing Face of Teenage Drug Abuse -- The Trend Toward Prescription Drugs." New England Journal of Medicine 354.14 Apr. 2006: 1448-1450.
Henkel, D. "Unemployment and substance use: a review of the literature (1990-2010)." Current Drug Abuse Review 4.1 Mar. 2011: 4-27.
Keena, J., P. Oliver, G. Rowsec, and N. Mathers. "Keeping families of heroin addicts together: results of 13 months' intake for community detoxification and rehabilitation at a family centre for drug users." Family Practice 17.6 (20000): 484-489.
Korhonen, T., U.M. Kujala, R.J. Rose, and J. Kaprio. "Physical Activity in Adolescence as a Predictor of Alcohol and Illicit Drug Use in Early Adulthood: A Longitudinal Population-Based Twin Study." Twin Research in Human Genetics 12.3 June 2009: 261-268.
Luty, J. "Nicotine addiction and smoking cessation treatments." Advances in Psychiatric Treatment 8 (2002): 42-48.
Morton, W.A. "Cocaine and Psychiatric Symptoms." Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, Primary Care Companion 1.4 Aug. 1999: 109-113.
National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. <http://www.ncadd.org>.
Schinke, S., and T. Schwinn. "Gender-Specific Computer-Based Intervention for Preventing Drug Abuse Among Girls." American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 31.4 (2005): 609-616.
Setlik, J., G.R. Bond, and M. Ho. "Adolescent Prescription ADHD Medication Abuse Is Rising Along With Prescriptions for These Medications." Pediatrics 124.3 Sept. 2009: 875-880.
United States. U.S. Department of Justice, National Drug Intelligence Center. "National Drug Threat Assessment." February 2010. <http://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs38/38661/38661p.pdf>.