Less common side effects include
- low blood pressure,
- eye problems,
- fecal incontinence,
- muscle pain,
- speech problems,
- ringing in the ears (tinnitus), and
Dronabinol is a controlled substance because it may be abused.
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
PREPARATIONS: Oral capsules: 2.5, 5, and 10 mg
STORAGE: Dronabinol capsules should be stored in a cool location between 8 C and 15 C (46 F and 59 F ) or in the refrigerator. Capsules should not be frozen.
For appetite stimulation in AIDS patients
- The general recommended starting dose is 2.5 mg by mouth twice daily, before lunch and dinner.
- Patients who are having difficulty tolerating this dosage may take 2.5 mg once a day in the evening or at bedtime.
- In patients who are tolerating dronabinol well, the dose may be slowly increased up to a maximum dose of 20 mg per day.
For nausea and vomiting
- 5 mg per meter-squared of body surface (5 mg/m2) should be administered 1-3 hours before chemotherapy followed by repeated administration every 2 to 4 hours after chemotherapy for a total of 4 to 6 doses per day.
- If needed, the dosage may be increased in 2.5 mg/m2 increments to a maximum of 15 mg/m2 per dose.
Although no drug-drug interactions were identified during clinical trials conducted by the manufacturer, dronabinol should be used cautiously with other medications that are known to interact with cannabinoids.
Quick GuidePancreatic Cancer Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.