Patient Comments: Down Syndrome - Symptoms

Are you caring for someone with Down syndrome? What symptoms is he/she experiencing with Down syndrome?

A Doctor's View on Down Syndrome Symptoms

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Down syndrome symptoms will vary from person to person. Distinctive facial features (flattened, small head, short neck, upward slant to the eyes, odd shaped ears, protruding tongue, and a small nose) are common. Dental abnormalities, short fingers, poor muscle tone, and heart defects may also be present. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Grammylovesjosh, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

Our grandson is ten. He was born with many health issues. The doctors did not give his parents much hope for survival. He had heart problems, club feet, crossed eyes, hearing difficulties and stomach and thyroid issues. He is thriving and bright. He swims, rides his bike, plays ball, runs, and dances and is a joy to be around.

Comment from: kimberly, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

My third child is a down syndrome. The problem is her speech and her menstruation stops for almost a year. She's 18 years old.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

We have a beautiful 9 year old little down syndrome girl. She has a mind of her own very stubborn, loves to dance, and loves to chat on skype to her grandparents. She has limited speech but great signs. Her health is not so good. She is ventilated at night and has sensory and mobility problems. But every day she lights up my world. She is always smiling and never moans even when she is ill. She fights with her brother. We where told she would never walk, feed herself, or go to the toilet. But every day we push her that much harder and she slowly gets there. My advice to others is never give up as my life would be very boring and empty without my little princess.

Comment from: Blessed, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

My child is four years old. He just starting jumping this year. He speaks around ten words verbally but he signs more than ten. He can run, walk up and down stairs without help, eat most foods without assistance. He smiles a lot and to me he is strong and smart. I hope this helps someone. He is a wonderful gift from God!

Comment from: denise, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My brother has Down syndrome and I have noticed that he has the same ways and moods like everybody else, he also gets cross, he also wants his way, he only listens when he wants to, and is very good at playing on my feelings.

Comment from: jet the mother, 3-6 Female Published: March 02

My daughter is now 4 years old and has Down syndrome. She's a very happy child, she's attending occupational and speech therapy right now. She's a very bright child, she's trying to follow what her sister and brother do -- not only at playtime, but every time when the three of them are together. She's a joy in our family.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My daughter was born with Down syndrome in 1965. She was always at home, always went with our family when we went out -- on vacation to church, etc. She was socially interactive with family and friends because of the association with others. In 2008 she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and she declined quickly over a 2 week time frame and died in 2010.

Down Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What Down syndrome symptoms does your child exhibit?
Down Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Did you have special screening tests for Down syndrome during your pregnancy?
Down Syndrome - Causes Question: What caused your Down syndrome?
Down Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Down syndrome.