Patient Comments: Down Syndrome - Symptoms

What Down syndrome symptoms does your child exhibit?

Comment from: Grammylovesjosh, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

Our grandson is ten. He was born with many health issues. The doctors did not give his parents much hope for survival. He had heart problems, club feet, crossed eyes, hearing difficulties and stomach and thyroid issues. He is thriving and bright. He swims, rides his bike, plays ball, runs, and dances and is a joy to be around.

Comment from: Christine, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My older sister has Down syndrome. She turned 41 this April. She has been very healthy all her life. She loves family and her soaps. Doctors told my mom that she will not till grow older than 4, but she certainly proved them wrong.

Comment from: latiba, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

I have a 22 year old daughter and of late I have notice that she has started to make strange facial expression, she rocks, hums and is flexing both arms a lot.

Comment from: kimberly, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

My third child is a down syndrome. The problem is her speech and her menstruation stops for almost a year. She's 18 years old.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

We have a beautiful 9 year old little down syndrome girl. She has a mind of her own very stubborn, loves to dance, and loves to chat on skype to her grandparents. She has limited speech but great signs. Her health is not so good. She is ventilated at night and has sensory and mobility problems. But every day she lights up my world. She is always smiling and never moans even when she is ill. She fights with her brother. We where told she would never walk, feed herself, or go to the toilet. But every day we push her that much harder and she slowly gets there. My advice to others is never give up as my life would be very boring and empty without my little princess.

Comment from: aziz, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My son 2.5 years is diagnosed as Down Syndrome. He has mild hole in the heart. His weight and height is normal and is also sharp minded but he doesn't speak yet. He stands up himself and tries to walk for two or three steps. His treatment is being carried out through the Children Hospital.

Comment from: Blessed, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My child is four years old. He just starting jumping this year. He speaks around ten words verbally but he signs more than ten. He can run, walk up and down stairs without help, eat most foods without assistance. He smiles a lot and to me he is strong and smart. I hope this helps someone. He is a wonderful gift from God!

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

Comment from: Blessed, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

Down Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Did you have special screening tests for Down syndrome during your pregnancy?
Down Syndrome - Causes Question: What caused your Down syndrome?
Down Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Down syndrome.