Patient Comments: Double Vision - Treatment

Depending on the diagnosis, what was the treatment for your double vision?

Comment from: IN DE, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 26

A sudden onset of double vision occurred in Dec 2013. I was sent for MRI and there was no evidence of cranial palsy on radiology report. It was lack of blood flow to the 3rd ocular nerve of left eye, said the specialist. No cure was put up with it. I found I could have prism glasses made. I had 4 sets made over 12 months, all of which failed. I was hospitalized as I could not draw breath. I collapsed and broke my collar bone. Food went down the airways and I nearly chocked to death. Then I could not swallow, then chew. I went on google and found I had myasthenia gravis (MG). I could not speak and thought I was going to die. I went to the general practitioner for second opinion and blood test. I was admitted to hospital in crisis. I started medication and in two days no double vision and eye lids now wide open. Specialist gave incorrect diagnosis and failed to carry out an ice, Tensilon and blood test which would have identified MG. Out of pocket 30,000 dollars, pain and suffering over 4 months, broken clavicle and unnecessary eye surgery. Since found, MG has affected hearing and now I have to buy hearing aids costing 8000 dollars. Treatment will now take another 8 months before I will be able to resume a normal life. My advice, always get a second opinion.

Comment from: Jen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have glasses with prisms to correct my double vision. My eye doctor has also suggested seeing a surgeon to have the diplopia corrected.

Comment from: comment, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 21

I have double vision but nothing showed up from CT or MRI scan and the doctors are puzzled.

Double Vision - Causes Question: What was the cause of your double vision?
Double Vision - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your double vision.
Double Vision - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of double vision.