Patient Comments: Double Vision - Causes

What was the cause of your double vision?

Comment from: Michaela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Over the course of a couple of days, I began experiencing eye pain and blurry vision. Within a week or two, that developed into double vision. I hoped it would go away with heat applications, ice applications, eye drops, wearing different glasses prescriptions, etc. For about a month, I tried to treat it myself. Eventually, I saw an optometrist, who referred me to an ophthalmologist. One MRI later, I was referred to a neurologist, who diagnosed me with multiple sclerosis (MS) after a spinal tap and an MRI of my brain and spine. The double vision had already subsided on its own. I was put on disease-modifying medication for my MS almost immediately, and I have been feeling great since. Like most diseases, early MS treatment is likely to improve your long-term prognosis, so I'm actually grateful that I had such a bothersome symptom so early on. If you develop double vision, please hurry to get it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.

Comment from: Taylor S., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I developed strabismus in my right eye at a young age. I got an eye muscle operation that fixed my crossed eye, at the age of 7. During the operation my left eye turned in so therefore I had 2 eye operations. I've always had double vision with my turned eye, it goes away if I cover one of my eyes or if I wear glasses.

Comment from: Aung Thura, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

Too much coffee and lack of sleep caused my double vision. I started to have double vision and blurred vision. I am taking most vitamins and using eye drops for 5 years. First my glass is -6.00 SPH and -0.25 CYL. My condition is better but double vision is not clear yet. My glass is now -1.50 SPH. I am looking for a doctor who can care for my eyes. I want to see a good neuro-ophthalmologist.

Comment from: mrs d, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was seeing double but never said anything. On 12/30/07 I was admitted to the hospital for ruptured aneurysm. I had brain surgery the next day. My husband was told I had 5 percent chance of surviving; well, here I am 7 years later and doing well except personality changes due to damage in right frontal lobe of brain. I started seeing double again if my head is tilted to right. I asked my husband to look at my eyes to see if he could see anything different and it was my right eye wandering. I have not seen doctor for this.

Comment from: Bearone, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm a single male, 70 years so far. I've had scintillating scotomas for the past 5 years from time to time. I was making the bed, pulling up the spread, suddenly I felt dizzy and wanted to fall to the left from a standing position. My vision then changed from single to double images, left image and right image. I could not bring them together into a single image. It scared the life out of me when I tried to walk. I cried and about 10 minutes later it went away. I then realized I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack. I went to the hospital emergency and after two days of MRI, CT, I was told it was a small stroke. I'm lucky so far at age 70, but when I read about strokes, it's a good chance this may happen again within 3 months or within one year. This episode may lead to a more severe stroke in the future. Not too nice to read about. I was prescribed Lipitor and Plavix. I must learn not to dwell in the future and at present I am under the care of a psychologist.

Comment from: Patti, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

The double vision came when I woke 6 weeks ago. When I went to doctor I was sent to an ophthalmologist. He dilated my eyes and decided he wanted to remove cataracts in my eyes first. I don't trust doctors that want to cut me especially if it doesn't fix the reason I came there for. So I went to a different doctor, because the first was an APN (advanced practice nurse). When I saw the doctor he did blood tests, again referring me to an eye doctor. Well, I'm here and I'm worried about it these are my eyes.

Double Vision - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your double vision.
Double Vision - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of double vision.
Double Vision - Treatment Question: Depending on the diagnosis, what was the treatment for your double vision?