Patient Comments: Double Vision - Causes

What was the cause of your double vision?

Comment from: Double Vision, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I have met with a minor accident with head injury, and I've been diabetic for the last 7 years. I have developed diplopia after recovering from the accident. Doctors are not sure of the reasons for having me developing double vision. An MRI of brain is taken and reviewed by a neurosurgeon, a course of tablets are for 15 days. There was improvement in vision, like I was able to see nearby items clearly and distance one as double objects. I have continued with vitamin tablets and now I am 80% recovered.

Comment from: Yvonne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had my first diplopia experience in March 2013. I am a teacher and was on my lunch break. I have had a history of migraines and am also a Meniere's disease patient. With no warning as I turned around from the counter, I was suddenly seeing multiples, not just doubles but quadruples. The multiples were vertically aligned. My husband took me to the emergency room where I had several doctors working with me. I had an MRI, several different blood tests and numerous other exams. When I closed one eye, I could see normally; both eyes open, multiples. This lasted for approximately 18 hours. It was so scary as well as exasperating. All the tests came back clear and no actual cause was ever diagnosed. An ophthalmologist was called in after I had been at the emergency room about 12 hours and eventually after he tried several different types of drops, he was able to bring my vision back to a state of normalcy. I had no other episodes until today, nearly one year later. Today I only had double vision and it didn"t last, just less than an hour. It was still really scary.

Comment from: Valerie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

When I was 30 years old, I woke up one day and had double vision. It took 3 weeks for it to go away. All tests were done and we couldn't find any issue except 6th optic nerve damage. Every 4 years going forward I would get double vision for weeks up to a month. I had so many tests and no insight. When I get migraines I sometimes get double vision in this past few years. They too would last a few weeks. I have side by side double vision and if I tilt my head to the left I was able to see ok, but straight on, double vision. This is getting old and not one specialist in Boston has been able to tell me why this happens.

Comment from: 3jimmy7, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

Comment about Double Vision: The first it was caused by a medication for depression. The name was Elivil. Alcohol can cause Double Vision. I not sharing more. This is my "Submission"

Comment from: redneckgirl13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I've had problem with Double Vision for numbers of years, since around 1996. Went through multiple tests for my eyes, blood Vessel scans, MRIs, Cat Scans and you name it to try and find out what caused it. I would get double vision at any time, reading, watching TV, driving, eating, etc. It would not matter. Only lasted a couple of minutes, but was very, very scary. Then 1 day in 2005 or so, I got the double vision and it lasted almost all day long. Was taken to the hospital and being it was a holiday weekend, they didn't have any Doctors that would do any test on me. I would have to wait till after the Holiday they said. They could not find out what was causing it and I went home where it finally went away again. My primary Dr. Put me on Plavix and from that moment on, I have had no double vision episodes at all. Still don't know why I was getting them, but Plavix stopped it from happening. I am so thankful for Plavix since the double vision was a very, very scary thing to go through.

Comment from: Eileen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I fell in October of 2012 and suffered trauma to my face, which required stitches from my eyebrow down on down, about 2 ½ inches. I also had to have stitches on the tip of my cheekbone, on the same side.

Comment from: janet, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 23

My double vision just appeared – no warning. My blood pressure has been high. I am wearing a patch over one eye one day; and the other eye the next day. I don't know how long this will last. I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: drm77017, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a tumor in my right eye. I was treated for it with a radioactive plaque that was attached to my eyeball for a week and then removed. Since then, I experience double vision at times. Most often if I am tired or driving at night.

Double Vision - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with your double vision.
Double Vision - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of double vision.
Double Vision - Treatment Question: Depending on the diagnosis, what was the treatment for your double vision?