- Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures
- Pink Eye Slideshow Pictures
- Eyes and Eye Conditions Quiz
- Patient Comments: Double Vision - Causes
- Patient Comments: Double Vision - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Double Vision - Diagnosis
- Patient Comments: Double Vision - Treatment
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Can double vision be prevented?
If the underlying cause is preventable, your physician will suggest ways to minimize chance of recurrence.
What is the prognosis for double vision?
The prognosis is dependent on the underlying cause. Monocular diplopia due to blurred vision has a good prognosis as long as the underlying cause of the blur is correctable. Binocular diplopia may resolve with treatment of the underlying cause, however in some instances there may be permanent misalignment of the eyes due to nerve or muscle damage or scarring. In this situation glasses with prisms might help, as well as surgical alignment in some instances.
Medically reviewed by William Baer, MD; Board Certified Ophthalmology
"Overview of diplopia"