How does Dong Quai work?
Dong quai root has been shown to affect estrogen and other hormones in animals. It is not known if these same effects happen in humans.
Are there safety concerns?
Dong quai seems to be safe for adults. Dong quai can cause skin to become extra sensitive to the sun. This might put you at greater risk for skin cancer
. Wear sunblock outside, especially if you are light-skinned.
There is some concern that taking dong quai in large amounts for a long period of time might be harmful. Dong quai contains chemicals that are considered to be cancer-causing (carcinogens).
Do not take dong quai if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding. It can affect the uterus.
- You have breast cancer.
- You have hormone sensitive cancers such as uterine or ovarian cancer.
- You have hormone sensitive diseases such as endometriosis or uterine fibroids.
- You have a condition called protein S deficiency.
- You are scheduled for surgery in the next two weeks. Dong quai might increase the risk of bleeding.