Patient Comments: Dog Bite (Treatment) - Treatment

Were you bitten by a dog? How was the wound(s) treated?

Comment from: Harsh, (Caregiver) Published: November 25

A street dog has bitten my 2 year old son. The wound is deep, which the doctor stitched. First aid and vaccine were given to him and as suggested by doctor he was given full course of vaccine, because after two days dog was found dead. I am worried what will happen when the dog dies.

Comment from: Torikiro, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I was bitten or scratched while exercising in the local park. A dog got away from its owner as I passed them and attacked me instantly. I got 2 skin scrapes with dried blood. I washed and applied Neosporin ointment. I was seen by a doctor who told me to continue Neosporin for a week, and to identify the owner to figure if her dogs are current with rabies shots. Other than the rabies possibility I should make full recovery.

Comment from: baby girl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was dog bitten today. It is swollen and hurts to move it. I went to the hospital, they just took x-rays to make sure there were no broken off pieces of teeth, bandaged me and sent me home with some antibiotics to keep any infection out.

Comment from: jenna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was trying to untangle a dog and got bitten. I went to the emergency room. It is swollen and hurts to move my fingers. They took x-rays and bandaged it, gave me antibiotics, and sent me home.

Comment from: gracie w., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My husband and I were fostering a rescue dog for the shelter until we could adopt him out. He was a handsome 2 year old Weimaraner. I was feeding him one morning and I guess he wasn't sure I was going to put the bowl down so he lunged at me tearing my lower lip off my face. I really had no pain during the attack and when I looked in the mirror I was shocked at what I saw. A plastic surgeon did a 2 hour surgery on my lip to repair it. The dog was put down that day. We still foster dogs, I would be lost without them. This one in a million accident has made me always be aware of a dog's body language, it is always wise to stop and access any situation concerning any dog, even your beloved pet.

Comment from: Lucky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Out of nowhere, a shepherd mix attacked my pit bull. I and another stopped the fight. However, I was bitten once on my upper leg. I was referred to a Wound Clinic and I"ve been washing it with Dial soap and packing it daily with medicated tape and covering it with gauze and breathable tape. It"s been 2 weeks; so far, so good.

Comment from: betsybear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was bitten by my Dalmatian several days ago. He is 12 years old and has an ear infection and is going deaf as a result. He was asleep on the couch, and I went to make him get off and get in his own bed. I think I must have startled him, and his reaction was a natural one, because as soon as he realized it was me, he let go. I went immediately to the ER, and they washed my wound (back of my right hand and base of thumb). But it was not deep, only torn skin, which at my age is very thin anyways. They bandaged it after cleaning it with peroxide and water and gave me a tetanus shot and prescribed an antibiotic to fight any infection. They butterfly taped it before wrapping. After three days, it's trying to scab over and dry up. My dog apologized when I got home from the ER. It was mostly my fault.

Comment from: Victim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Our friend's pet bit my wife on the face when she tried to carry the elderly dog up the stairs. The puncture wounds did not enter the mouth. Currently, we are using hydrogen peroxide and Dr. Sheffield's Maximum Strength Triple Antibiotic.

Comment from: google, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I put water and peroxide on it and then applied a bandage.

Dog Bite Treatment - Type of Experience Question: What was your experience with a dog bite?
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Experience Question: Were you or someone you know bitten by a dog? Please share your experience.
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Prevention Question: Please provide tips for preventing a dog bite.