Patient Comments: Dog Bite (Treatment) - Treatment

Were you bitten by a dog? How was the wound(s) treated?

Comment from: betsybear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was bitten by my Dalmatian several days ago. He is 12 years old and has an ear infection and is going deaf as a result. He was asleep on the couch, and I went to make him get off and get in his own bed. I think I must have startled him, and his reaction was a natural one, because as soon as he realized it was me, he let go. I went immediately to the ER, and they washed my wound (back of my right hand and base of thumb). But it was not deep, only torn skin, which at my age is very thin anyways. They bandaged it after cleaning it with peroxide and water and gave me a tetanus shot and prescribed an antibiotic to fight any infection. They butterfly taped it before wrapping. After three days, it's trying to scab over and dry up. My dog apologized when I got home from the ER. It was mostly my fault.

Comment from: Victim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Our friend's pet bit my wife on the face when she tried to carry the elderly dog up the stairs. The puncture wounds did not enter the mouth. Currently, we are using hydrogen peroxide and Dr. Sheffield's Maximum Strength Triple Antibiotic.

Comment from: google, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I put water and peroxide on it and then applied a bandage.

Dog Bite Treatment - Type of Experience Question: What was your experience with a dog bite?
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Experience Question: Were you or someone you know bitten by a dog? Please share your experience.
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Prevention Question: Please provide tips for preventing a dog bite.