Patient Comments: Dog Bite Treatment - Type of Experience

Question:What was your experience with a dog bite?

Comment from: Jack Russell owner, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I have a two year old Jack Hound and I was giving her corrective training (spanking) for peeing on my bed and my hand was a little too close to her mouth and she bit me on my pinky finger and she drew blood that was the first time she has ever bit me, she is up to date on her shots but I went to the ER any way to get tetanus shot. Well I received a phone call from the health department. The doctor I saw at the hospital called them. I was told that my dog has to be quarantined.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I was at my sister's house and was outside. Her dog had previously bitten someone, but I had been around it before and didn't really think anything about it. I knew the individual it had bitten had provoked the dog so I walked out to see if I could find anything around that had injured the dog. I got just close enough that the dog lunged and bit me on the right breast. I now have extreme bruising and puncture wounds. The dog is too big to be around small children, but there are no plans to get rid of it, so I'm not going back there again.

Comment from: rt4706, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I was bitten by a husky as I reached to the floor to recover pencil that I had dropped at a friend's house. I did nothing to provoke the dog, it was half-way across the living room! My hand is swollen and has a few minor puncture wounds. I washed with soap and water (*ouch*) and attempted to assess for underlying injuries, but did not find any at this time.

Dog Bite (Treatment) - Experience Question: Were you or someone you know bitten by a dog? Please share your experience.
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Treatment Question: Were you bitten by a dog? How was the wound(s) treated?
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Prevention Question: Please provide tips for preventing a dog bite.