Patient Comments: Dog Bite Treatment - Type of Experience

Question:What was your experience with a dog bite?

Comment from: NOT YERS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

Well last week two of my female dogs got into a fight. Naturally I didn't want to see them hurt each other, so when trying to break them up, they both bit me. Multiple punctures and eight stiches in my arm. It really hurts like heck!

Comment from: amycerisier, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I was bitten by a dog in the hand. I am not able to move my fingers without severe pain. I have been to the doctor twice. Given a tetanus shot and was put on antibiotics.

Comment from: losingit, Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was viciously bitten 7 months ago after this 7 year old Russian Great Dane had, had its teeth cleaned and its rabies shot. I'm showing signs of depression, weight loss, and psychosis that is worsening every day.

Comment from: Anon, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I was posting leaflets, the postbox just so happened to be at the bottom of the door. There was a dog in which attacked my hand whilst doing this. There was no sign in the window to warn me that the owner had a dog. Since the attack I had to go to my hospital for medical care, and I reported to the poilce because I was frightened that it could happen again to someone else or a child. Nevertheless after reporting to the police there was still no sign up, until they went and visited the owner. The wound in which was on my finger is now scarred and I have lost some sensation, it locks at night, and I was extremely ill. It has taken six weeks to close up, and I was unable to have stitches due to infection. I now fear dogs and have always been a dog lover.

Comment from: LK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I was bitten by a native dog in the upper thigh, while visiting my brother in the Philippines. The bite is a deep puncture, but did not require suture. I was rushed to the emergency room, where anti-rabies shot and tetanus shot was administered. My wound was also washed, cleaned with peroxide and bandaged. The doctor advised me to keep it dry for 24 hours. I was prescribed antibiotic pills and to follow up on my anti-rabies shot 7 days and 28 days after the exposure to dog bite.

Comment from: nikki, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I was bitten three days ago at a friends house. I was playing tag with her kids when we ran into the backroom and I jumped over her Great Dane that was laying down in the middle of the floor. She was startled and jumped up and bit me on the bottom of my thigh. There was one puncture wound, a few scratches and bruising. The wound got red and crusty and is still healing. I now have flu like symptoms the very next day but I don't know if it is related. I have no money for a doctor so I just pray that it's nothing that could harm me.

Comment from: jaycee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My 14 yr old border accidentally bit my right hand whilst having paws dried. Skin puncture wound and abrasion - immediately cleansed and dressed with TCP and clean gauze dressing. Area is very tender, inflamed and swollen.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: December 28

I was attempting to break up a fight between my dog and another and my hand was bitten. The wound was not deep but bled quite a bit.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I was bitten by a German Shepherd. I was walking my grandchild. I passed a 12-year-old girl walking the shepherd. The dog did not bark, growl, or in any way let me know that I might be in danger. When I turned and passed the dog it turned and bit my calf below my left knee. She did not just bite me she took a chunk out of my leg. The wound was such that the ER doctor had to suture it because it was too deep to leave it as it was. The scar is ugly, but that is not my problem. My problem is that the muscle in that leg hurts continually and especially at night when my leg rests on the bed.

Comment from: dstuart, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I was bit by my dog on my pinky around Christmas. No blood involved, I can bend it, but it's still swollen and painful.

Dog Bite (Treatment) - Experience Question: Were you or someone you know bitten by a dog? Please share your experience.
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Treatment Question: Were you bitten by a dog? How was the wound(s) treated?
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Prevention Question: Please provide tips for preventing a dog bite.