Patient Comments: Dog Bite Treatment - Type of Experience

Question:What was your experience with a dog bite?

Comment from: Laura, Published: October 05

My dog bit my daughter this morning. In her face. This is the first time the dog has bit. My daughter has some bad puncture wounds on her cheeks and eyebrows. If the bite was an inch over, she could have lost her eye. A few inches down, and the dog could have gotten her neck. It makes me sick to think about it. The dog is gone. I know everybody says this, but I really never expected my dog to bite my child.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I took my vehicle to a business to get an oil change. While I was waiting in the waiting area for them to get it finished. The owner had a dog in the waiting area ( that is set up with T.V. to watch, magazines, and children's toys and little tables for kids) I had a sucker in my hand and was talking to my daughter, the dog just got up and took the sucker. We went on talking and as we was getting ready to leave, I bent down to get the sucker which was not on the dogs mat or of concern that the dog might get it stuck in his throat. The dog jumped up and bit me on my lower lip which took 14 stiches, inside and out. The owner of the business came running through the shop area to see what all the screaming was about. He didn't offer to call the police or Squad, but he did offer to give my daughter a FREE oil change and handed me a paper towel which was full of blood before we could get to our vehicle to get to the Emergency Room. We didn't take the full oil change. I was in shock by the time we got to the E.R. The owner agreed to pay my doctor bills and never even offered to say, "I'm sorry". The doctor at the E.R. called the health dept to see if the dog's shots were up to date. My Attorney got the reports of the dog from his Vet. Which stated that the dog had bitten the Tech in the face and suggested the dog be muzzled always. We found out that I was the 3rd victim of this dog. We are in Court now with his insurance carrier. I have to have plastic surgery for the permanent scaring on my lip. Not only am I now afraid of dogs, but I am emotional damaged with these ugly scars on my lower lip. I didn't deserve this, the owner had no business having a dog run loose in his place of business, not even caged.

Comment from: Virgie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

A month ago, I was walking on my lunch hour. I've walked by this dog for 3 years. She barks at me, I talk to her, no problem. But not this day. She got out of the yard from a hole in the fence that the owners knew about. Ran across the street to where I was walking and took a hunk out of my left leg. The sheriff's office came to investigate and the damn dog bit the deputy as well. Fortunately, she had her rabies shot but the owners had her put to sleep anyway. No stitches for me but the wounds got horribly infected. 3 rounds of antibiotics. I will carry a horrible scar, and I think a limp as well, for the rest of my life. I'm also in therapy as I'm just not dealing with the entire experience very well in my opinion.

Comment from: Golden-Owner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Our 11 year old golden retriever has spent the past two years with my son and we got him back about a month ago. He has always been a lovely dog. I was trying to give him a bath, which I used to do regularly, and grabbed his collar and he bit me on my hand. My son admitted that his roommate's boyfriend would grab the dog by his collar and yank him. So now if you touch his collar he is scared and reacts aggressively. I was glad it was me that he bit and not someone else. The bite was deep in my palm with a tooth impression on top of my thumb. Antibiotics and a tetanus shot, but no stitches to avoid infection. It no longer hurts, but I still have a small open wound on my palm.

Published: July 06

I was running down a sidewalk and was attacked by two dogs out of nowhere.

Comment from: anon, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I was recently bitten in my right calf by a neighbor's pit bull. This is a nasty bite wound that will take months to heal, and the owner is paying my medical bills. The dog is normally very gentle and plays with the owners small children. Even though the pit bull is normally gentle, it doesn't know it's own strength and can do enormous damage to anyone unintentionally. This is not an ideal pet to have around children.

Comment from: creeddezigns, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was bit by a dog on my hand and left leg. The owner said I provoked the dog. I went to the hospital and got some antibiotics and went home. Seven days later I had more bleeding and was given more meds. Now there is a scab forming and a scar will be evident.

Comment from: daisy0307, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I was working and making a delivery when I got bit above my left knee by a German Shepard. He just broke the skin a little bit but now it's been over a month and my knee is very sore but the cuts have healed. I'm going to the doc on Monday to see what's going on.

Dog Bite (Treatment) - Experience Question: Were you or someone you know bitten by a dog? Please share your experience.
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Treatment Question: Were you bitten by a dog? How was the wound(s) treated?
Dog Bite (Treatment) - Prevention Question: Please provide tips for preventing a dog bite.