Patient Comments: Dizziness - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of your dizziness.

Comment from: worried, 55-64 Female Published: June 01

For several weeks now I have been getting light headed. It happens when I am lying down and turn over in bed or start to get up out of bed. It only lasts a short time, but I have to stop my movement and lay very still until it passes. I am also experiencing frequent nose bleeds from one side of my nose. I can be lying in bed doing nothing or bending over doing something and all of a sudden my nose gushes blood. I have never had nose bleeds before through out my entire life. It doesn't last long and quickly stops as quickly as it started. It feels as if my nose is starting to run and all of a sudden blood is running from my nose. Are these two symptoms related with each other? I have been under a great deal of stress from my business failing and over whelmed with bills.

Comment from: Gerrymac, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

My dizziness episodes started out of nowhere. I was relaxed and had just completed editing of an article for my MS newsletter. I am in a wheelchair and turned away from my computer and WHAMMO, it began and seemed to come at me in waves. I thought I was about to die. Like a roller coaster the dizziness took me to an extreme high peak and then downward to a low point. Again and again. When this happened to me, I was fortunate to have a health-care worker with me and seeing I was in trouble, she kept saying 'relax' to me which helped calm me down. Within minutes the paramedics arrived and hooked me up to several monitors. Apparently, my BP and heart rate were off the map. They injected me with a drug to slow everything down until the ambulance arrived and took me to the hospital where I stayed for 2 weeks. The whole episode was very scary. All my heart tests were clear. They put me on a beta blocker and magnesium pill to help my blood chemistry. Now I have outpatient tests planned. Hope these comments help somebody.

Comment from: cwatson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I can just be sitting or standing and it is almost like a wave comes over me. I get really light-headed and dizzy my heart beats fast and I get clammy. I guess you could say I get a little queasy, but not to the point of throwing-up. Just as quickly as it hits it resides in about 5min. I'm good again. It seems to come in spurts. Today I had this about 4 times today. It has been probably about 3-4 months since I had one. I have had my sugar checked and have worn a heart monitor for a month, but didn't have an episode so they couldn't give me an answer.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

For the last few weeks I have been having dizzy spells. I do a lot of gardening and find when I get up I have to sit down again for fear of falling over. I did recently have a blood pressure test and was told it was low, but not to worry. I was also told that my dizzy spells were nothing to worry about. I have just turned 60, apart from a very bad attack of bronchitis about 3 winters ago, which has left me short of breath when walking up hills I have been well. Hope you can give me some positive feed back.

Comment from: gjo1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am taking Chantix to help quit smoking, would this casue vertigo or dizziness? This is my third week taking the med and I have cut down my smoking considerably from a pack to 5/6 cigarettes a day. I also have hypothyroid disease and am wondering if that plays a role. I have my blood work checked every three months and I am within the guidelines of proper medication.

Comment from: b.b, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I get spells of dizzy or light headiness which lasts 30mins-2hours bothered from 26 years of age.

Comment from: Dizzy girl in Kentuc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I'm a 59-year old female who has been experiencing dizziness, nausea, and vomiting at random times. If I can lie down, the dizziness subsides, but the nausea and vomiting may last for a couple of more hours. I also feel shaky and disoriented. Once the symptoms end, I usually fall into a very deep sleep lasting about four hours and when I wake up, I am ravenous. I always want food-food, that is, steak, hamburgers, chicken and absolutely no sugar. Sugar makes the symptoms worse.

Dizziness - Causes Question: What caused your dizziness?
Dizziness - Standing Up Question: Please describe your experience with dizziness when standing up.
Dizziness - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your dizziness?