Patient Comments: Dizziness - Causes

What caused your dizziness?

Comment from: dynomike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

I was at work, digging a trench, and suddenly got so dizzy I fell over. It was like I just got off of the tea cups at an amusement park but worse! Every time I picked my head up the spinning intensified. It really scared me. This lasted about 2-3 minutes. Luckily I was working at a fire station when this happened. All my heart readings and blood sugar came back normal. I felt like a fool, like what I was feeling was unjustified. It was not hot out and I drank plenty of water. The firemen said maybe I over-exerted myself but, I know that's not the case. I have felt like I can't catch my breath and not real sharp since. This happened this afternoon and I have not experienced any dizziness since. I don't know if this is just something that "happened" or if something is wrong. The firemen's tests were normal.

Comment from: Rick1975, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a convulsive seizure a little less than a month ago and ever since then I have been experiencing a lot of dizziness. Sometimes when I'm just standing still it feels like I am slowly rocking back and forth, like being on a boat. Other times if I tilt my head too far to either side or too far forwards or backwards I experience a brief but much stronger feeling of dizziness that usually clears up after 7 or 8 seconds. Before my seizure I had been having constant ringing in my ears, which may be related to an inner ear problem (I had tubes in my ears when I was a child). Also, focusing on something that's very close to me like a PC monitor induces the same dizzy feeling, but if I look at something far away and then look back it goes away for a bit so I'm not sure if it could also be related to eye strain. I am scheduled to see a neurologist in the next couple of weeks, but I am very worried this is something I will just have to learn to live with. It also seems like I get exhausted much faster than I did before my seizure and I'm always fatigued. Is my body still trying to recover from the seizure or might it be something different that's causing my dizziness?

Comment from: JayGrey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I woke up dizzy one day in August and was diagnosed as being dehydrated. The dizziness lasted five days. My blood pressure was 155 over 80 or so but was not even mentioned. High blood pressure/strokes run in our family. I am only 48 years old but my mother started getting hypertension in her early 40's. I began testing my blood pressure at home and noticed it was high so I recorded my readings and was put on 25 mgs. or hydrochlorothiazide. After one month, about five days ago, I again woke up dizzy. I have been dizzy off and on, especially when reclining or leaning my head back, bending over, ever since. My doctor told me to stay on the medication and referred me to a cardiologist although my EKG was normal.

Comment from: Pete, 65-74 Male Published: January 05

This morning I awoke and I turned quickly and I felt a bit dizzy. I didn't think much about it, but when I later got out of bed, I felt dizzy again, and I went to get a cup of coffee and bent down, and again I felt dizzy. I am moving around now to see if I can get the same affect. I do feel a bit lightheaded at this time.

Comment from: Joanie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have just started getting dizzy a few days ago. When I walk I feel as if I'm walking sideways. I don't feel faint I'm just dizzy. I do smoke at times my head starts to tingle. I don't know why this has started but it is real irritating.

Comment from: spiff4499, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I spent most of the weekend lying down as when I stood up I became so dizzy, I instantly became nauseous not to mention I could hardly walk. This has happened before but has never lasted more than a few hours (I am now on my third day although the symptoms have decreased). It always begins in the middle of the night, I feel like I can't wake up from a dream. When I get up to use the bathroom, I realize the dizziness is not a dream and that I can hardly see or walk. For me it is debilitating as this last bout was so severe I couldn't really move or eat or do anything but lie down. How can I avoid this!

Comment from: mtc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

This morning I went for a walk in the neighborhood for 50 minutes. When I returned home I experienced dizziness and was out of breath. I have been eating more sugar foods for several days. I do have a low tolerance for sugar so normally I don't eat sweets. For several months I also have been experiencing shortness of breath whenever I bend down.

Dizziness - Diagnosis Question: Please describe your diagnosis of your dizziness.
Dizziness - Standing Up Question: Please describe your experience with dizziness when standing up.
Dizziness - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your dizziness?