Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: Rob C., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I suffered from my first bout of diverticulitis when I was 30. I was admitted to the hospital for a few days having been unable to pass stools due to stabbing pains in my lower abdomen and groin area. After scans and then a colonoscopy I was diagnosed with (some) diverticula. A year or two later, I had a minor flare-up, and was treated with metronidazole. Then, on the 18/05/16, I had my most serious flare up. The worrying thing was, my warning was a gassy feeling on the Monday with mildly loose stools, tiredness and fever on the Tuesday and then pain (escalating to 'I'm dying' levels) on the Wednesday. Ambulance came and I was rushed into surgery for a laparoscopic lavage. After that, I spent 10 days in hospital with drains, tubes, 3 antibiotics (gentamicin/trimethoprim/metronidazole), and ketamine for pain. It was literally a nightmare. I was discharged after 10 days. I spent a week at home, eating what I thought I should (vegetables, lean meat, no chemicals, etc.), to then suffer another fever, etc., a week later. I ended up by in Accident and Emergency and admitted for 2 more days. Blood work showed infection again and inflammation markers, and heart rate (resting) of 105 bpm. I just left with metronidazole and Cipro tablets for 10 days; also advice to eat 'low residue' which feels unhealthy but I'm doing it (white bread, meat, white pasta, 10 g fiber per day). Fingers crossed I get over this bout, otherwise I'm back for some intestine removal and a stoma. Once healed, I'm cutting all processed food, seeds, artificial sweeteners, fizzy drinks and junk from my diet. I've clearly abused myself in the past and need to wake up before it is too late. Bacon, sausages, snack bars, processed package foods and maybe a liter of diet Pepsi a day have taken their toll and I wish I could go back in time now and change my behavior. I also believe lifting is a factor. I can match flare ups to go-karting endurance races and before my serious bout recently, I'd move 5 tons of topsoil and stone for my garden by hand (on my own).

Comment from: PJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) since I was a child and developed diverticulitis that went untreated for years because I was so young. I have been hospitalized once and have also endured numerous attacks without hospitalization. There are symptoms leading up to intestinal distress for me: severe esophageal spasms, GERD, bladder incontinence and frequency, severe bloating, very severe lower back, hip and pelvic pain and pain in the left and right sides. The only relief I have ever found has been in doing a gut cleanse. I stop eating and make beef bone broth. I take nothing but this broth until all pain and symptoms are gone, 150 billion Mcg of probiotics daily, and a lifetime diet change are in order as well. Aloe vera juice helps. Do a food elimination diet to determine which foods irritate you, and then limit or eliminate them altogether.

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been in the emergency room 3 times with diverticula attacks. I am suffering right now. When this happens I go to the doctor and get Cipro, take a dose of milk of magnesia and a dose of Miralax. I stay close to the toilet for 2 days at most. Then ah, relief. If it hurts up my left side with cold and sweats I go to the emergency room. If you wait too long you may end up with a colostomy, so be careful. The lady in emergency room next to me did.

Comment from: Barby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed around 4 years ago, I suffer constantly with diverticula attacks. It is not unusual to go to the toilet around 6 or 7 times a day. I can't walk far without needing to go so am reluctant to go out for days. It does not seem to make any difference if I am careful about what I eat or not, although I do know some foods make it worse.

Comment from: jkvt265, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

This is my second round with diverticulitis, the first being 12 years ago and very mild. This one is very bad. I have had cold symptoms for weeks, then I became very fatigued, low back pain, no will to do anything but go to work and then home to just sit. I had some diarrhea but thought it as from the junk food I had eaten. Then I treated myself to a chocolate shake. That evening I had lower left pain, I thought it was gas, by the next day the pain was creeping up my left side. By dinner time I was in the emergency room. After a CT scan I was sent home with Cipro and Flagyl, but no one told me to go low fiber! In fact I had a bowl of shredded wheat before dinner! I did my research today and decided on a mostly liquid diet for a few days then will gradually reintroduce solid foods. Hopefully I don't get another bout again.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?