Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: Giddy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Diverticula attack gave me a pain worse than labor. It felt like my whole body was in some type of shock and if you touched me I would break into pieces.

Comment from: phoneguy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I just had my first and hopefully last bout with diverticulitis. I thought it was muscular abdomen pains or side effects of a BCG treatment and numbed it with Advil, but it came back. By the third day I went to my urologist and he sent me straight to the emergency room. I had a contrast CT scan of the abdomen done and was diagnosed. Within 12 hours of taking Cipro and Flagyl, the pain stopped. I am to take the medicines for the next 14 days.

Comment from: Mike, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 34. The diverticula attacks started when I was about 30. Once a year I would get severe spasms (minutes apart), run a fever, and lie in bed for 2 days, and then it would pass. Now I'm a couple years older, it is lasting like 4 to 6 days at a time, around every 3 months. It seems to be triggered when I overeat, drink a lot of soda, or eat fast food; and yeah, I trigger it and bring it on myself, which I am trying not to do anymore. I was diagnosed with it in the emergency room (ER) through CAT scan. I never went and saw a specialist after. I don't throw up, even though I am nauseated sometimes, but it always passes and the one time I went to the ER, they didn't keep me because all my bloodwork was fine. It's awful, but I am pretty sure a lot of my suffering is from being overweight, with my stomach pulling down on my abdomen all the time; and my diet. If I fixed these things, it would probably happen less. My bowels have never been normal my whole life.

Comment from: paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

In my early 50s I was told I had diverticulosis. I had several small flare-ups over the next few years, usually when I got off my strict fiber diet. Last summer I had a full blown attack with extreme pain in my left side just below my ribs. I went to the emergency room and they confirmed diverticulitis and put me on Cipro and Flagyl. This helped and in a few days I felt great. Problem was that 2 weeks after the medicines it came back again and again and again. I have now been fighting this up and down routine for 9 months; on medicines, off medicines and back on medicines. I never had diarrhea or constipation. I always had regular daily bowel movements (BMs), I still have regular BMs but they are smaller and do not seem to be as much as before. I have lost over 20 lb. during this battle and much of my muscle tone has gone despite the fact that I constantly work out. I don't want to take the medicines anymore as I am very concerned about the muscle and ligament damage that can result. I am taking probiotics daily now and will fast the next few days to clear it up. I just hope it doesnt flare up again.

Comment from: Warran, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had a pretty bad cold, was not feeling well at all, and fatigued. I started to feel a dull central pain in my abdomen and tried Gas-X, a laxative, but nothing worked after five days of the dull pain. I went to my doctor, was diagnosed with diverticulitis, and did the Cipro and Flagyl. I'm on my second day of the medicines and it is getting better, much better than the pain I felt for two or three days. It just amazes me how you have a really good diet, fruits and vegetables every day, with physically demanding job and this still hits you. By everything I've read I need to increase fiber.

Comment from: painfulpat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have had lower left quadrant pain for 6 weeks off and on, along with bloating, gas and lower back pain. My doctor ordered blood work, stool sample and pelvic ultrasound. So far everything has come back fine. I don't see my doctor until next week. Now the pain is also felt in my lower left side of my back. I feel very strongly that it is diverticulitis. I am getting nervous about waiting another week to see my doctor.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?