Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: Diverticulitis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

With diverticula attack I get pain in my lower back almost to the butt, pain on the left side, diarrhea and 101 temperature.

Comment from: sarahv.51, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

On Saturday afternoon my brother said to me 'You are getting a huge boil under your arm pit.' I had no idea until he said that and about an hour later it started to hurt a little. By Sunday morning I was in so much pain but my boyfriend thought I was just being a baby! Sunday night my arm was hurting so bad, I knew I was going to have trouble sleeping and so I did. I woke up at 2 am sweating and had the chills. My armpit was in so much pain I really couldn't move it without wanting to cry. I was running a fever so I took an Advil to take the fever down (and it did) but I told my boyfriend I am going to the emergency room (ER). At the ER they did an ultrasound and blood tests and told me that it was cellulitis. They gave me Tylenol for the pain and antibiotics, which I was directed to take 3 times a day 3 at a time for ten days and to go back to the ER in 48 hours for them to check it out and see if it has gotten worse.

Comment from: Giddy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Diverticula attack gave me a pain worse than labor. It felt like my whole body was in some type of shock and if you touched me I would break into pieces.

Comment from: phoneguy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I just had my first and hopefully last bout with diverticulitis. I thought it was muscular abdomen pains or side effects of a BCG treatment and numbed it with Advil, but it came back. By the third day I went to my urologist and he sent me straight to the emergency room. I had a contrast CT scan of the abdomen done and was diagnosed. Within 12 hours of taking Cipro and Flagyl, the pain stopped. I am to take the medicines for the next 14 days.

Comment from: Mike, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 34. The diverticula attacks started when I was about 30. Once a year I would get severe spasms (minutes apart), run a fever, and lie in bed for 2 days, and then it would pass. Now I'm a couple years older, it is lasting like 4 to 6 days at a time, around every 3 months. It seems to be triggered when I overeat, drink a lot of soda, or eat fast food; and yeah, I trigger it and bring it on myself, which I am trying not to do anymore. I was diagnosed with it in the emergency room (ER) through CAT scan. I never went and saw a specialist after. I don't throw up, even though I am nauseated sometimes, but it always passes and the one time I went to the ER, they didn't keep me because all my bloodwork was fine. It's awful, but I am pretty sure a lot of my suffering is from being overweight, with my stomach pulling down on my abdomen all the time; and my diet. If I fixed these things, it would probably happen less. My bowels have never been normal my whole life.

Comment from: Dealing with it, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I have diverticulitis and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) with a prolapse. I am not sure what gives me flairs as I watch what I eat all the time. They say more fiber but this makes it difficult to have a BM (bowel movement). I am learning to listen to my body and try not to stress. When life is crazy I seem to get sick right after. Best to all who deal with this.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?