Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: Barby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed around 4 years ago, I suffer constantly with diverticula attacks. It is not unusual to go to the toilet around 6 or 7 times a day. I can't walk far without needing to go so am reluctant to go out for days. It does not seem to make any difference if I am careful about what I eat or not, although I do know some foods make it worse.

Comment from: jkvt265, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

This is my second round with diverticulitis, the first being 12 years ago and very mild. This one is very bad. I have had cold symptoms for weeks, then I became very fatigued, low back pain, no will to do anything but go to work and then home to just sit. I had some diarrhea but thought it as from the junk food I had eaten. Then I treated myself to a chocolate shake. That evening I had lower left pain, I thought it was gas, by the next day the pain was creeping up my left side. By dinner time I was in the emergency room. After a CT scan I was sent home with Cipro and Flagyl, but no one told me to go low fiber! In fact I had a bowl of shredded wheat before dinner! I did my research today and decided on a mostly liquid diet for a few days then will gradually reintroduce solid foods. Hopefully I don't get another bout again.

Comment from: Dolores, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have had diverticulitis for about four years and have been hospitalized twice. I have just had an attack that lasted for a week. I felt sick, pains and loose bowel movements, it has left me feeling a little weak.

Comment from: Just like mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My first symptom of diverticula attack was terrible pain during a bowel movement. I had to do Lamaze breathing. Then I sweated profusely. I then blacked out. My mother who is 90 blacks out at times too, but she is smart enough to lie on the floor (not me; fell and hit my head, and back).

Comment from: Diverticulitis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

With diverticula attack I get pain in my lower back almost to the butt, pain on the left side, diarrhea and 101 temperature.

Comment from: Mary L., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I suffer with diverticulitis and have done for many years. After I have my bowel movement it starts off a flare up and I am unwell for the day or could be days. It is just the act of moving my bowel causing me problems. I just had a scan which showed marked diverticulitis.

Comment from: sarahv.51, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

On Saturday afternoon my brother said to me 'You are getting a huge boil under your arm pit.' I had no idea until he said that and about an hour later it started to hurt a little. By Sunday morning I was in so much pain but my boyfriend thought I was just being a baby! Sunday night my arm was hurting so bad, I knew I was going to have trouble sleeping and so I did. I woke up at 2 am sweating and had the chills. My armpit was in so much pain I really couldn't move it without wanting to cry. I was running a fever so I took an Advil to take the fever down (and it did) but I told my boyfriend I am going to the emergency room (ER). At the ER they did an ultrasound and blood tests and told me that it was cellulitis. They gave me Tylenol for the pain and antibiotics, which I was directed to take 3 times a day 3 at a time for ten days and to go back to the ER in 48 hours for them to check it out and see if it has gotten worse.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?