Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: Viqui, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was woken up very early last Sunday morning with severe spasms in my upper abdomen, they lasted about 10 seconds each time. My husband went out and got me an antispasmodic which helped marginally, but first thing on Monday I went to see my general physician who sent me straight to hospital to see a surgeon. I didn"t have a temperature but my white blood cell count was up. I have just been diagnosed with diverticulitis, am on antibiotics, and am having a colonoscopy next week. I am an active 49 year old woman who eats well and exercises regularly. I am glad I caught it in time!

Comment from: ncaaron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 46 year old male, 4 months ago I had severe pain in my right and lower left quadrant abdomen, pain like I had never felt. I admitted myself to the hospital that day and had a CT scan and exam and was told I had diverticulitis. I spent 4 days in the hospital with a 103 to 104 degree temperature, extreme pain, and nausea. The worst 4 days ever, so I thought. I was released from the hospital yesterday after 3 days with diverticulitis again. This time it was only in my lower left quadrant but the pain was twice as worse as last time (and that is saying something, I felt like I was being cut open with a knife) that I had to call an ambulance because there was no way I could drive myself this time. This time I also had extreme gas and bloating which I did not experience the first time. I also did not experience such a high fever as last time. Diverticulitis is a miserable disease to have, now I have to just watch what I eat better, drink more water, and stay away from popcorn, and nuts which I love. I have a feeling this disease will rear its ugly head again no matter what my diet is. I will be getting a colonoscopy next week so I will see what the future brings. I understand all your pains, I wish you all the best with this disease.

Comment from: Daniel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

Two years ago I suddenly developed stiffness in my lower abdomen followed two days later by a 104 degree fever that would not break with Tylenol. I made a trip to the emergency room that night and was discharged a week later after having a resection. It was a perforation in my sigmoid section of my colon. I experienced no pain what so ever, just the stiffness and fever. I started feeling abdominal pain again just over 30 days ago. I am taking Cipro and Flagyl now, hopefully it will clear up without another surgery. I have eaten a high fiber diet (20 to 30 gram of fiber daily) for the last two years. After this bout I have been kind of connecting the dots. There are some similarity of symptoms that I now see were precursors to both episodes. Both times I experienced slight pain in my groin that at the time I wrote off to waiting too long to urinate. These pains started both times at least 2 to 3 weeks before any other symptoms.

Published: May 27

I had an all over abdominal discomfort, but not actual pain. Frankly, I thought I had a bad case of gas. But the things I normally do to relieve gas (obviously) didn't help. I could not isolate the pain to one area. I was just bloated. I took some Alka seltzer and had a small amount of relief - not enough that the discomfort went away totally, just enough to fool me into thinking I was right about the gas. And then the rupture. The pain became VERY localized - it was like someone was stabbing me in one spot (lower left) with a very hot knife. It was excruciating! Worst pain EVER - made delivering my son naturally seem like a stubbed toe. And because I was young - only 36 - they went "exploring" my abdomen. I had NO history of any trouble at all. I lost nearly 3 inches of my sigmoid and had a colostomy due to the peritonitis. Fortunately for me, 6 weeks later I was able to be "put back together." I haven't had any recurring problems, but I am pretty good about taking fiber twice a day and trying not to strain to go to the bathroom. I also avoid white breads and try to get plenty of whole grains. It's been 8 years (wow - that is so hard to believe!) and I am fine.

Comment from: jean626, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Mine all started about 2 weeks ago having extreme pain in my left lower side. For approximately 10 days I had urinary problems also, up 4 to 5 times a night. I went to my doctor and she thought it was possibly a kidney store or bladder infections. I had sonogram and urinalysis. Both came back clear. Three days ago, I started to have severe pain lower left side and heavy pressure across my bladder. I was scheduled for a colonoscopy the following Tuesday. I called my gastroenterologist with my symptoms who then cancelled my colonoscopy and immediately put me on the 2 antibiotics for the problem. I am still not feeling very good, but pain has subsided somewhat from what it was. I will have colonoscopy as soon as I recover.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?