Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: PJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) since I was a child and developed diverticulitis that went untreated for years because I was so young. I have been hospitalized once and have also endured numerous attacks without hospitalization. There are symptoms leading up to intestinal distress for me: severe esophageal spasms, GERD, bladder incontinence and frequency, severe bloating, very severe lower back, hip and pelvic pain and pain in the left and right sides. The only relief I have ever found has been in doing a gut cleanse. I stop eating and make beef bone broth. I take nothing but this broth until all pain and symptoms are gone, 150 billion Mcg of probiotics daily, and a lifetime diet change are in order as well. Aloe vera juice helps. Do a food elimination diet to determine which foods irritate you, and then limit or eliminate them altogether.

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been in the emergency room 3 times with diverticula attacks. I am suffering right now. When this happens I go to the doctor and get Cipro, take a dose of milk of magnesia and a dose of Miralax. I stay close to the toilet for 2 days at most. Then ah, relief. If it hurts up my left side with cold and sweats I go to the emergency room. If you wait too long you may end up with a colostomy, so be careful. The lady in emergency room next to me did.

Comment from: Barby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed around 4 years ago, I suffer constantly with diverticula attacks. It is not unusual to go to the toilet around 6 or 7 times a day. I can't walk far without needing to go so am reluctant to go out for days. It does not seem to make any difference if I am careful about what I eat or not, although I do know some foods make it worse.

Comment from: jkvt265, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

This is my second round with diverticulitis, the first being 12 years ago and very mild. This one is very bad. I have had cold symptoms for weeks, then I became very fatigued, low back pain, no will to do anything but go to work and then home to just sit. I had some diarrhea but thought it as from the junk food I had eaten. Then I treated myself to a chocolate shake. That evening I had lower left pain, I thought it was gas, by the next day the pain was creeping up my left side. By dinner time I was in the emergency room. After a CT scan I was sent home with Cipro and Flagyl, but no one told me to go low fiber! In fact I had a bowl of shredded wheat before dinner! I did my research today and decided on a mostly liquid diet for a few days then will gradually reintroduce solid foods. Hopefully I don't get another bout again.

Comment from: Dolores, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have had diverticulitis for about four years and have been hospitalized twice. I have just had an attack that lasted for a week. I felt sick, pains and loose bowel movements, it has left me feeling a little weak.

Comment from: Mary L., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I suffer with diverticulitis and have done for many years. After I have my bowel movement it starts off a flare up and I am unwell for the day or could be days. It is just the act of moving my bowel causing me problems. I just had a scan which showed marked diverticulitis.

Comment from: Just like mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My first symptom of diverticula attack was terrible pain during a bowel movement. I had to do Lamaze breathing. Then I sweated profusely. I then blacked out. My mother who is 90 blacks out at times too, but she is smart enough to lie on the floor (not me; fell and hit my head, and back).

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?