Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: littlefrog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I found out last year from my doctor when I had to go to the hospital. I eat a lot of things and I have bad stomach pains and I don't go to the bathroom but every two or three days. Sometimes it is longer than that.

Comment from: Rachel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was diagnosed years ago and it has been pretty well under control. As I have aged I cannot seem to be able to lift anything heavy or I get the burning down in my groin area that is unbearable. Cipro or Flagyl have been able to knock the pain and burning with the first pill. I just have to remember NOT to try and carry something that would be too heavy for me, like a grandchild. Since 2008 I have had 3 bouts because of carelessness. But you can avoid those bouts if you think first.

Comment from: jam, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had two bouts of diverticulitis. First time I had very bad pains on my left side the second time just a little bit of pain, but a lot of gas both times. I usually have daily bowel movements and never have a problem with not going my biggest problem is having to go all of the time. I eat a high diet of fiber so not sure why I keep having problems.

Comment from: southern gentleman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I am having a second attack of diverticulitis in 6 months and I am taking potent antibiotics again. I have pain in lower right quadrant of abdomen and some back pain as well. Strangely, constipation is not an issue which is supposed to be a prime cause for the disease, so actually have no firm conclusion other than eating spicy/hot foods.

Comment from: betty lou, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have a few bouts of diverticulitis ending with pain in stomach and left side was given med. I was sent home. I am ok unless I eat something with seeds such as tomatoes. I haven't had an attack since I have watched my diet.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have been experiencing pain below my left rib cage for the last 7 months. I had a colonoscopy done and diagnosed with diverticulitis. Other symptoms were severe abdominal pain moving to left pelvic and legs and sometimes shifting to right side. Primary care physician has prescribed Flagyl and Cipro. Starting to feel better and notice bowels and urine not having bad odor. A couple of bouts during the last week have almost prompted me to go to emergency room. Ultrasound is indicating no problems.

Comment from: kkkttt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

About every 6-8 weeks.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?