Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Published: May 27

I have severe constipation. Laxatives, enemas, euppositories did not help. Bloating, swelling, and abdominal pain came next, with fever and severe belly pain. Eventually, bloody stools, or just bleeding, painful urination, and bladder pain and infection.

Comment from: sandsearcher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I average a diverticular attack about every couple of years. Last year I had three attacks within 6 months. The doctor put me on different meds beside Flagyl and Cipro and any lingering infection cleared up and have been fine since.

Comment from: Allen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I was just told I have diverticulitis and was also told I have a massive adenoma polyp. I have been after my doctor for awhile to have a colonoscopy done to no avail then one day I demanded to have it done. I had my first one done in March then I was referred to a surgeon and she did a 2nd one in April that is when I was told I have diverticulitis and a massive hyperplasia adenoma polyp. I find out on Monday when I have the surgery I have been asked to make a journal of all attacks.

Comment from: Rigbyhurts, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have just experienced my third bout of diverticulitis over the past 6 years. My first bout I spent 5 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics, and sent home with Cipro and Flagyl. I felt better in about 10 days. My second bout was 1 1/2 year later, and when the pain started, I quickly recognized it as diverticulitis, and went to my doctor who again prescribed Cipro and Flagyl with good results. Now 5 years later, I am experiencing another round of Diverticulits. I am again on Cipro and Flagyl and pain is improving. After my 2nd time with the disease, my Dr said to try to avoid constipation, as straining could worsen the diverticuli. I have been very careful to not get constipated, but the past week I have been doing some heavy cement work in the yard. (Lifting heavy cement blocks, and shoveling truckloads of gravel). I am wondering if this has not increased abdominal pressure to cause irritation to the diverticuli. I haven't heard of this being a cause, but it makes sense to me. I think I'll take it a little easier on myself now.

Comment from: Grobin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

This is my 5th time I had this pain, it just won't go away. I've already seen a surgeon who said next time you have this we will have to cut that part out that was on my 3rd time in the hospital. I'm going to the doctors this morning to see what can be done to get better. Oh the pain! I can hardly stand straight up.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Several attacks with severe pain in lower left side with fever. Vomiting often. Had 12" of my colon removed in November 2010. Today is April 28, 2011. Still sick. Feel better with regard to pain, but still have low grade fevers often and problems with bowel movements, occasional vomiting. Take a ton of fiber and Miralax every night. Had Botox shot to my inner sphincter muscle to help with constipation. This is a chronic disease for me. I'm looking into a holistic approach. I'm about ready to give up.

Comment from: witeacher, 25-34 Male Published: April 20

A long time ago it started, with extreme bleeding whenever I would drink a lot (around age 30). It would act up only yearly or so, now that my diet is healthy (strict vegetarian, high vegetable and fresh fruit salads. yes alcohol, but not excessive). Now, after 2 years I've been bleeding a lot with every bowel movement for 3 days. No pain whatsoever. I am still doing yoga, weights and jogging.

Comment from: Douglas, 65-74 Male Published: March 18

I was diagnosed almost 45 years ago with diverticulosis. I was told that I had many diverticuli. It has, however never bothered me.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?