Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Several attacks with severe pain in lower left side with fever. Vomiting often. Had 12" of my colon removed in November 2010. Today is April 28, 2011. Still sick. Feel better with regard to pain, but still have low grade fevers often and problems with bowel movements, occasional vomiting. Take a ton of fiber and Miralax every night. Had Botox shot to my inner sphincter muscle to help with constipation. This is a chronic disease for me. I'm looking into a holistic approach. I'm about ready to give up.

Comment from: witeacher, 25-34 Male Published: April 20

A long time ago it started, with extreme bleeding whenever I would drink a lot (around age 30). It would act up only yearly or so, now that my diet is healthy (strict vegetarian, high vegetable and fresh fruit salads. yes alcohol, but not excessive). Now, after 2 years I've been bleeding a lot with every bowel movement for 3 days. No pain whatsoever. I am still doing yoga, weights and jogging.

Comment from: Douglas, 65-74 Male Published: March 18

I was diagnosed almost 45 years ago with diverticulosis. I was told that I had many diverticuli. It has, however never bothered me.

Comment from: Zigmoid, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

Don't fool around with diverticulitis. I had three attacks in 5 years and had to have a sigmoid colectomy. Removed about 10 inches of my sigmoid colon. It was laproscopic surgery, but was not easy for the surgeon. There were diverticula attached to abdominal wall. This is no disease to fool around with.

Comment from: chan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have been dealing left and right pelvic pain for the last 5 years. Since I had a history of ovarian cysts I kept going to my obgyn and being told that nothing was there. I have had multiple ultrasounds and CT scans showing nothing. The pain is quite unbearable and is happening more frequently. Now family physician is sending me to see a colon and rectal doctor because he now thinks that I have diverticulitis. I just wish this could be figured out because the pain is unbearable at times. I have changed my diet since my family physician told me that he believes that this is the cause but I am still having the pain. Doctors just keep giving me pain pills but with my job I cannot take them when I need them so I am at a loss on what to do.

Comment from: Lulu, Published: February 24

If anybody could give me a good web site or the name of a good book on Diverticulosis, It would be extremely helpful. Right now I open one web site on the disease and it says eat green vegetables and natural fruits. You open another web site and it says with diverticulitis definitely avoid eating natural fruit and all types of green vegetables. I have the disease and have no idea where to get reliable information on its cure. Doctors are the same way, it depends on which one you talk to.

Comment from: HavaKat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Thought I had caught a bug, chills, upset stomach. Went to bed and nursed myself for seven days. Over this time symptoms increased, severe pain in shoulders and left side. Nausea, vomiting. Stopped having bowel movements although I was eating chicken noodle soup etc. I became so ill I went to the emergency room, it was misdiagnosed as the flu. I had a CT scan and then was in hospital 4 days. 3 days on IV only. Taking CIPRO and Flagyl. Still having issues with left area of buttock and side being in pain. Possibly a pocket of infection. I had been having pain in my left buttock and side for a long time. Doctors stated it was arthritis. Wrong!!! Be very aware of symptoms and push for a CT scan.

Comment from: Richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I've had attacks on and off for 3 years. It typically starts with gas and pain on left side from ribs to just inside the pelvis. I did get a colonoscopy and sure enough, they counted several of them. A contrast CT found more. No one had ever told me that straining to defecate was a VERY bad idea. (yes, I have chronic 'roids, too). Now I get an attack every month or so. Usually mild, but sometimes with a fever. Yeah, I often seem to take antibiotics like candy. It's really hard to keep the 'good' bacteria alive because of this. So I take a variety of probiotics and eat the "special" yogurt almost daily. I take a little supplemental fiber, but not too much- as that is bad for you, too, in too much quantity. The hemorrhoids appreciate this, too. Oh, and up your fluids, but not dramatically. I also eat a lot more fruit, especially natural fiber ones.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?