Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Published: May 29

I had low pain across my lower abdomen with movement, somewhat like a slightly strained muscle. This started the first morning. Then, very intermittently (three times the first day, only once the second day), I had a strange traveling pain that seemed to start in the rectum as a sharp cramp and travel into the scrotum and finally into the penis/urinary tract. I almost lost urinary control and almost went to my knees. This lasted 10 seconds or less. It was this pain that convinced me that something more than just a strained muscle was going on. A CAT scan on the second day revealed diverticulitis.

Published: May 28

I had severe pain in my lower left side and my stomach was bloated and felt really hard. I didn't know what was wrong and was eating foods that made it worse.

Published: May 27

I had no symptoms for years, that I knew of. The only problem I had was not going to the bathroom on a regular basis, I thought that was normal because that was all I had ever done. Bowel movements were once a week or once every two weeks. My first pregnancy I maybe had three bowel movements, I begged for some form of laxative but was refused. Pain in my right side took me to the hospital at 50 and I was diagnosed with all the symptoms and hospitalized for 10 days. Take care of yourself and monitor your bowel movements they should be regular on a daily basis.

Published: May 27

I have severe constipation. Laxatives, enemas, euppositories did not help. Bloating, swelling, and abdominal pain came next, with fever and severe belly pain. Eventually, bloody stools, or just bleeding, painful urination, and bladder pain and infection.

Comment from: sandsearcher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I average a diverticular attack about every couple of years. Last year I had three attacks within 6 months. The doctor put me on different meds beside Flagyl and Cipro and any lingering infection cleared up and have been fine since.

Comment from: Allen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I was just told I have diverticulitis and was also told I have a massive adenoma polyp. I have been after my doctor for awhile to have a colonoscopy done to no avail then one day I demanded to have it done. I had my first one done in March then I was referred to a surgeon and she did a 2nd one in April that is when I was told I have diverticulitis and a massive hyperplasia adenoma polyp. I find out on Monday when I have the surgery I have been asked to make a journal of all attacks.

Comment from: Rigbyhurts, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have just experienced my third bout of diverticulitis over the past 6 years. My first bout I spent 5 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics, and sent home with Cipro and Flagyl. I felt better in about 10 days. My second bout was 1 1/2 year later, and when the pain started, I quickly recognized it as diverticulitis, and went to my doctor who again prescribed Cipro and Flagyl with good results. Now 5 years later, I am experiencing another round of Diverticulits. I am again on Cipro and Flagyl and pain is improving. After my 2nd time with the disease, my Dr said to try to avoid constipation, as straining could worsen the diverticuli. I have been very careful to not get constipated, but the past week I have been doing some heavy cement work in the yard. (Lifting heavy cement blocks, and shoveling truckloads of gravel). I am wondering if this has not increased abdominal pressure to cause irritation to the diverticuli. I haven't heard of this being a cause, but it makes sense to me. I think I'll take it a little easier on myself now.

Comment from: Grobin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

This is my 5th time I had this pain, it just won't go away. I've already seen a surgeon who said next time you have this we will have to cut that part out that was on my 3rd time in the hospital. I'm going to the doctors this morning to see what can be done to get better. Oh the pain! I can hardly stand straight up.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?