Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Published: June 09

I had progressively worsening diarrhea and pain in my lower left side. I'd had an endometrial cyst which ended with removal of my right ovary and fallopian tube. I thought the same thing was happening with my left ovary. Finally got to the point of extremely intense pain, some fever and feeling like I was going to pass out. I went to the emergency room the gastroenterologist did a colonoscopy. Diverticulitis with an abscess. Now I try to eat high-fiber meals, but I have diarrhea almost constantly, with flare-ups of infection. I use Levaquin and Levsin when flare-ups occur. I was told I need surgery at some point.

Published: June 05

I have severe bloating, diarrhea and pain in my left lower intestines. I have been just drinking herbal (spearmint) tea to clean out my intestines but I am in extreme pain. Bloated up like I am 12 months pregnant and miserable.

Published: June 05

First I had bilateral back pain and thought it was kidney issues, then I was constipated, then I was nauseated and vomiting. Then I had diarrhea, and nausea, more back pain and vomiting, my temp only got to 99.7, but I could not sleep, could not get comfortable and had to pull over on the road for a lovely episode of "the puking poops". I went to my doctor and he was able to temporarily cure me without an expensive hospitalization, or $3000.00 CT scan. I am now on several antibiotics, and am feeling better, although I have some pan, and residual temp increase. I am taking it easy- to say the least. Get to your doctor right away 'cause peritonitis is very nasty.

Published: June 05

I had profuse bloody diarrhea, with a positive occult blood test at my primary doctor's office. He sent me to a gastro who would only do sigmoidoscopes. I saw this gastro in late April after two months of bleeding daily. He never told me I had diverticulosis. He said I was very inflamed and put me on 6,000mg of Sulfasalazine a day and Flagyl. Fed up with gastro #1, I went to someone else. He scheduled me for a colonoscopy in August, never told me I had diverticulosis and an adenomas polyp. Four years later I still have diarrhea with intermittent bleeding. My pain is in my right lower quadrant. I had a colonoscopy yesterday and was told of the diverticulosis-severe and two polyps were removed. I am currently on 3,200 mg. of Asacol a day with continued diarrhea. I see my new gastro again in July. I sure hope he can help me.

Published: June 03

I started with a pain in my lower left side. I felt very tired. The pain began to feel like someone had kicked me and it was difficult to move. Then came the chills and a low fever. I did not feel like I was going to vomit, but I did not want to eat and had to force liquids down. Later, I had urinary frequency, producing only small amounts. I felt very weak and passed out for a few moments. I went to the doctor on the second day because of severity of the pain - it did not seem like the flu - and had a CAT scan that confirmed diverticulosis.

Published: June 02

Just diagnosed today with Diverticulosis. Never had any symptoms. My annual medical showed blood in one stool sample so my GP ordered a screening colonoscopy. The doctor spotted the diverticula in my colon. Readings seem to say they are caused by the high pressure of a hard stool. So treatment/prevention is to maintain a fiber diet to keep stool soft! (Age 57)

Published: June 02

Pain is just something I have learned to live with, considering I have had low back pain from degenerative disc disease for years. My experience with Diverticulitis was not from any pain or I just didn't know that it was part of the pain I was feeling. Excessive gas and diarrhea was my symptoms. Very embarrassing. Diarrhea got so bad that if I did not take anti-diarrheal I was pooping uncontrollably all over the place without a moments notice. I felt like going all the time and felt too at times that it was stuck. Sometimes I actually dug it out of my rectum. I know this is blunt and gross, but some doctors passed it off as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so what is that exactly anyway. I had a colonoscopy and they found the problem. Thank goodness antibiotics can take care of it. IBS bull. Don't let doctors blow you off.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?