Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: michael, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

Yesterday I suffered a rectal bleed that was quite severe and carried on over several hours. I suffered something like this four years ago, and after being examined was told I have diverticulitis. I have not had another attack since then until yesterday.

Comment from: DeeDee, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 01

I was just diagnosed with diverticulitis, and I have been in bad pain on my right side, like something was stuck. I thought it was gas, so went to the doctor, who did an ultrasound, MRI, and X-Ray – they found nothing. I gave myself an enema, and whatever was lodged, moved to my left side. I took another enema – and bingo – no more pain. That was back in November of 2012.

Comment from: Rosa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Beginning in 1997 I started having "food poisoning" every few months. There'd be chills, vomiting, loose BMs, and cramps not unlike labor pains. In 2002 ended up in ER diagnosed with appendicitis. Awoke from emergency surgery being told part of my colon and ileum had been removed as it had ruptured. Dr. said I was lucky because of my young age (47) that he was able to reconstruct my bowel and wouldn't need colostomy bag. But I have multiple pockets with "severe twisting" on my remaining left side colon that causes flare ups that range from mini-flu symptoms to major pain. These bad bouts feel like a bear is squeezing me around my ribcage. Got to skip the gummy candy, popcorn, pop, junk food. Drink plenty of water and herbal teas. Peppermint and Chamomile teas are best. It's easier on your system to eat frequent, smaller meals/snacks than heavy meals. Herbal supplements help. Do your homework re which are effective. This is a lifelong battle like a tightrope walk.

Comment from: profj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I was quite a heavy drinker with 5 or more glasses of wine per evening and I stopped January 1st with the help of my doctor prescribing Antabuse. I experienced no adverse side effects or cravings. I have been perspiring a lot but I am also in menopause. I did change my diet in January to include homemade tropical salad to make up for the sweetness of the wine. Other than that I was really taken aback at the severity of the pain, was hospitalized for 2 nights. I'm fine now but I'm terrified of another attack.

Comment from: Cmerolr2, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

My symptoms of diverticulitis was pain on right side near my pelvic area. Discovered what it was finally through a CT Scan. I have been plagued with this on and off for eight years. Now I can focus on a sound recovery knowing my diagnosis now.

Comment from: wake up call, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was having pain on the left side, bloating and cramping. I didn't really know what was wrong. I just thought it was digestive issues. Then I experienced blood in my stool and went for a colonoscopy. That is when I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I am overweight, inactive and I don't drink anywhere near the amount of fluid I should. My diet is not so great either. Unfortunately this is permanent condition I believe and now I need to try and manage it better. This is a wake-up call. I am only 46. Time for a lifestyle change....

Comment from: DAWN, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

I usually experience diverticular attacks at three to five month intervals.

Published: June 24

I was just diagnosed with diverticulosis. I have pain across upper abdomen, which also radiates to lower back and right side. Originally thought to be gallbladder. When ultrasound ruled that out, I had CT scan which showed diverticulosis. Also have diarrhea which alternates at times with having trouble going. Have a lot of bloating and gas, as well.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?