Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: drmx123, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

My diverticulosis was found through a colonoscopy and graded severe. I was vaguely aware of something going on, but the procedure made the condition much worse. I was recently carrying 40 lb. bags of topsoil from my vehicle to a project site and that really triggered a painful flare up. Be careful with heavy lifting.

Comment from: kara g, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have diverticulosis. It took 3 CT scans to find them and they are as big as light bulbs. The openings are not visible on colonoscopy either. I have had frequent bouts of pain relieved with flagyl. I cannot eat nuts, which I love. I started on a new heart medication which I need but which has upset my bowel and my reflux. I can't win but am not constipated now.

Comment from: Jan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

A year ago I was having severe pain, such as cramping in my lower left side of my abdomen, mucus in my bowel movements and some bleeding. I ended up having a colonoscopy to find out I had 13 cysts that had to be removed and that I had diverticulitis.

Comment from: arlissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

in November I had a full stomach an bloating, when I pressed on my upper left side I could feel something. a trip to the er an a ct scan found a lump on my pancreas a enlarged spleen an gallstone in the neck of my gall bladder,and diverticullits. i have had on surgery for the spleenectomy an distail pancrectomy. i just had a colon scope an they plan to remove about a a foot of my intestines and colon it is bad on inside and out..iv always been a bit heavy, but usually in good health after 40 it all goes..good luck to any one who needs help dealing with any condition ,it is so mentally draining

Comment from: NiniG, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

Don't wait to make matters worse! My experience started with pain in my abdomen that seemed to get more intense over a 3 day period, I had recently started a new job and was at work when the pain became so intense it felt as though I was about to give birth. After going to restroom and finding blood in my urine, I immediately left work to run to Emergency room, there I was told I was being admitted after a CT scan for Diverticulitis. I waited 2 full days to have a drain placed in the soft tissue above my buttocks that during procedure the Doctor mistakenly pierced a pocket and the abscess he was attempting to drain then leaked into my body. I laid in recovery with chills and hospital staff at that time thought I was just cold, later to find I was going septic. I blacked out and when I came to, I was in ICU, with a brief moment of memory loss, I did not recognize my family standing before me or how I even arrived at the hospital. I was in hospital for 2 and a half weeks, had to have a blood transfusion, renal failure, and lost 23lbs in 1 week. Kidney's are better now, no more anemia, I was told that if I did not have a PICC line in my arm during procedure when I went septic I would have probably died. Now almost 2 years and 4 episodes later I am able to get up enough courage to have the surgery to remove the portion of the colon that is diseased. I will have my surgery end of this month, hoping all goes well.

Comment from: silverado, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I have been plagued with attacks for more than ten years. Initially I believe they were caused by eating anything that contained small seeds like tomatoes, buns with sesame seeds or poppy seeds, cucumbers, etc. I also found that corn and tomato soup seemed to bother me. I have been able to avoid a bowel resection -so far ,but after a week in the hospital and nothing to eat but ice chips, I have learned to not let it get out of hand. Sometimes just not eating for a few days will help the bowel fix itself. It is not caused by what you ate yesterday, but rather by what you ate last week. My symptoms usually start with excess gas and with what seems to be gas pains, then in a day or two or even a week to diarrhea at which point you better quit eating and see a doctor. Cipro and flagyl (metronidazole) seem to work for me - but of late I have to take some gravol a half hour or so before the flagyl to slow down the nausea. I also separate the two by four hours . After a few days and I get off the jello diet, the nausea lessens. Even though I am very careful about what I eat, I believe that lifting and straining or riding in a rough vehicle are not good for this condition. I have already broken the tendon that holds the foot up on my left leg, so take that side affect for cipro -seriously- and don't over-extend any part of your body. -cheers!

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?