Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Published: June 17

Extreme abdominal pain, increasing nausea, fatigue, slight fever, pain in left lower back.

Published: June 17

I was having pain in the lower right side of my stomach. The doctor said that was where my appendix was and didn't think it was diverticulitis. It took three days before they discovered what it was and by that time it had perforated. I went into the hospital by ambulance and almost didn't make it.

Published: June 17

I had a sharp pain in my lower abdomen - after a bowel movement I felt fine. Two days later, I doubled over in pain and got violent chills. I went to the ER and was hospitalized for 5 days with IV antibiotics and pain medication. After finally getting back on solid food I changed my diet to one with higher fiber. In October I again has sever pain but a CT scan showed no infection. I was given Levaquin and Flagyl. Those 2 drugs saw me through small attacks in February and April. In June I was hospitalized for 6 days with a perforated diverticulum - amazingly painful. I will have surgery in 6 to 8 weeks to cut it out.

Published: June 16

I found out I had diverticulosis when I had my "required 50yr old colonoscopy". But I had explained to the doc (also my gyno doc) of other pelvic pain. We decided on the high fiber diet thing (which I thought I was already eating pretty high fiber and I couldn't imagine doing more) and I had a follow up 3 months later (2 weeks ago) and he and the other doc decided a ct scan was in order which I had the next day. The docs office called me today at 5:30pm (13 days after the scan to tell me I have diverticulitis and I need to be on antibiotics immediately and clear liquid diet to get the inflammation down. I have been in pain, and tolerating it at this point. I sure don't want it to get worse. Just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Published: June 13

I first started with a nagging pain in my lower right side for 2-3 days. One night, the pain was so annoyed (but not severe pain) that I couldn't fell into sleep. Next day, I was send to kat scan and diagnose of diverticulitis. My doctor gave me the antibiotic and I had to stay in the hospital for 5 days.

Published: June 11

A dramatic change in bowel habits. A sense of blockage when defecating and stools that are about pencil diameter and relatively long.

Published: June 11

Lower left abdominal pain and cramping.

Published: June 09

I was 39 years old and I had been having night sweats for about a year or so. I thought that it was the beginning of menopause. However, after 6 months of stomach pain and nausea after eating, I finally found myself at the emergency room with severe pain. My diverticulitis was found on the right side, so my doctor has told me I am an anomaly.

Published: June 09

My first indications of Diverticulitis were a nagging pain on my left side, just below the waist. Within a few hours, the pain moved lower and became more acute. I had difficulty lifting my left leg due to the pain. I was later told the mild diarrhea I had for about 2 weeks before I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?