Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Published: June 13

I first started with a nagging pain in my lower right side for 2-3 days. One night, the pain was so annoyed (but not severe pain) that I couldn't fell into sleep. Next day, I was send to kat scan and diagnose of diverticulitis. My doctor gave me the antibiotic and I had to stay in the hospital for 5 days.

Published: June 11

A dramatic change in bowel habits. A sense of blockage when defecating and stools that are about pencil diameter and relatively long.

Published: June 11

Lower left abdominal pain and cramping.

Published: June 09

I was 39 years old and I had been having night sweats for about a year or so. I thought that it was the beginning of menopause. However, after 6 months of stomach pain and nausea after eating, I finally found myself at the emergency room with severe pain. My diverticulitis was found on the right side, so my doctor has told me I am an anomaly.

Published: June 09

My first indications of Diverticulitis were a nagging pain on my left side, just below the waist. Within a few hours, the pain moved lower and became more acute. I had difficulty lifting my left leg due to the pain. I was later told the mild diarrhea I had for about 2 weeks before I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis.

Published: June 09

I had progressively worsening diarrhea and pain in my lower left side. I'd had an endometrial cyst which ended with removal of my right ovary and fallopian tube. I thought the same thing was happening with my left ovary. Finally got to the point of extremely intense pain, some fever and feeling like I was going to pass out. I went to the emergency room the gastroenterologist did a colonoscopy. Diverticulitis with an abscess. Now I try to eat high-fiber meals, but I have diarrhea almost constantly, with flare-ups of infection. I use Levaquin and Levsin when flare-ups occur. I was told I need surgery at some point.

Published: June 05

I have severe bloating, diarrhea and pain in my left lower intestines. I have been just drinking herbal (spearmint) tea to clean out my intestines but I am in extreme pain. Bloated up like I am 12 months pregnant and miserable.

Published: June 05

First I had bilateral back pain and thought it was kidney issues, then I was constipated, then I was nauseated and vomiting. Then I had diarrhea, and nausea, more back pain and vomiting, my temp only got to 99.7, but I could not sleep, could not get comfortable and had to pull over on the road for a lovely episode of "the puking poops". I went to my doctor and he was able to temporarily cure me without an expensive hospitalization, or $3000.00 CT scan. I am now on several antibiotics, and am feeling better, although I have some pan, and residual temp increase. I am taking it easy- to say the least. Get to your doctor right away 'cause peritonitis is very nasty.

Published: June 05

I had profuse bloody diarrhea, with a positive occult blood test at my primary doctor's office. He sent me to a gastro who would only do sigmoidoscopes. I saw this gastro in late April after two months of bleeding daily. He never told me I had diverticulosis. He said I was very inflamed and put me on 6,000mg of Sulfasalazine a day and Flagyl. Fed up with gastro #1, I went to someone else. He scheduled me for a colonoscopy in August, never told me I had diverticulosis and an adenomas polyp. Four years later I still have diarrhea with intermittent bleeding. My pain is in my right lower quadrant. I had a colonoscopy yesterday and was told of the diverticulosis-severe and two polyps were removed. I am currently on 3,200 mg. of Asacol a day with continued diarrhea. I see my new gastro again in July. I sure hope he can help me.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?