Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: kat x x x, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have been diagnosed since 2oo5. If I lift anything heavy or stretch too far I get another bout. Fiber in diet stops bouts caused by constipation. Corn on the cob is a no for me. Sometimes the pain is terrible, worse than labor pains, but when you get used to it you know how to get over a bout asap.

Published: May 27

I had a dull pain in my lower left abdomen for a couple of days, then I started to get chills (hot then cold). I began to run a fever. This lasted a couple of hours, then it was over. The next day when I went to see the doctor, most of the prior nights symptoms where gone except the pain in my lower left abdomen. After consult my family doctor, I had an MRI done and it was confirmed that I had Diverticulosis with a perforation.

Comment from: Dealing with it, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I have diverticulitis and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) with a prolapse. I am not sure what gives me flairs as I watch what I eat all the time. They say more fiber but this makes it difficult to have a BM (bowel movement). I am learning to listen to my body and try not to stress. When life is crazy I seem to get sick right after. Best to all who deal with this.

Comment from: trendy nanny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had my first flare up of diverticulitis in November 2013. I was treated at home with Cipro and Flagyl. I had a flare up in October 2014 and was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with acute diverticulitis with paracolic abscess and given IV fluids and antibiotics. I was so ill. I was discharged after five days. Six weeks on I think I am experiencing another flare up, albeit mild. I have been prescribed Cipro, am now terrified of being hospitalized again and the thought of surgery.

Comment from: shadow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I am a 54 year old woman and was diagnosed with diverticulitis about a year ago. Since then I have had two hospital stays, 3 emergency room visits and six attacks at home with countless antibiotics and lots of pain. I am off to see the surgeon next week. This is a horrible condition. I don't wish this on anyone!

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I am a 50 year old male. I can remember I was at the age of about 14 years old when I first had a diverticula attack. I did not have another attack until I was in my early twenties, I was diagnosed as having IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) until I had another attack. It was then when I had a colonoscopy, I was the diagnosed as having diverticulitis. Nice to know but I have never felt pain so much. I did read in an article that a female sufferer said that the pain was just like having her children. I am overweight so I suspect that this does not help. I do manage it with diet. I wish all other sufferers the best.

Comment from: drmx123, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

My diverticulosis was found through a colonoscopy and graded severe. I was vaguely aware of something going on, but the procedure made the condition much worse. I was recently carrying 40 lb. bags of topsoil from my vehicle to a project site and that really triggered a painful flare up. Be careful with heavy lifting.

Comment from: kara g, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have diverticulosis. It took 3 CT scans to find them and they are as big as light bulbs. The openings are not visible on colonoscopy either. I have had frequent bouts of pain relieved with flagyl. I cannot eat nuts, which I love. I started on a new heart medication which I need but which has upset my bowel and my reflux. I can't win but am not constipated now.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?