Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: jean626, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Mine all started about 2 weeks ago having extreme pain in my left lower side. For approximately 10 days I had urinary problems also, up 4 to 5 times a night. I went to my doctor and she thought it was possibly a kidney store or bladder infections. I had sonogram and urinalysis. Both came back clear. Three days ago, I started to have severe pain lower left side and heavy pressure across my bladder. I was scheduled for a colonoscopy the following Tuesday. I called my gastroenterologist with my symptoms who then cancelled my colonoscopy and immediately put me on the 2 antibiotics for the problem. I am still not feeling very good, but pain has subsided somewhat from what it was. I will have colonoscopy as soon as I recover.

Comment from: MISTER WAIT, 65-74 Male Published: May 13

Do not play the wait-and-see-what-happens game. I suffered for weeks with great pain. When I gave up and went to the emergency room after several tests, I had a very bad case of diverticulitis. It was two days after Christmas that I went to the hospital, as we had family stay over and I did not want to take the chance of being admitted. (I will never do that again!) They were ready to do surgery on me, but I bounced back and stayed in the hospital for four days. The doctor told me how lucky I was and that if it broke open I would have had only a half hour or so to get to the hospital and be operated on. I am 65 years old and will never wait again as I did with this incident. I lost more than 10 pounds in just the four days I was in the hospital. That was five months ago, and now I walk each day and eat smart. The doctor told me he would see me again in the future as I know it will never go away. Do whatever you must to and at least try your best and NEVER, EVER WAIT as I did. Take care, and stay healthy.

Comment from: kat x x x, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have been diagnosed since 2oo5. If I lift anything heavy or stretch too far I get another bout. Fiber in diet stops bouts caused by constipation. Corn on the cob is a no for me. Sometimes the pain is terrible, worse than labor pains, but when you get used to it you know how to get over a bout asap.

Published: May 27

I had a dull pain in my lower left abdomen for a couple of days, then I started to get chills (hot then cold). I began to run a fever. This lasted a couple of hours, then it was over. The next day when I went to see the doctor, most of the prior nights symptoms where gone except the pain in my lower left abdomen. After consult my family doctor, I had an MRI done and it was confirmed that I had Diverticulosis with a perforation.

Comment from: trendy nanny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had my first flare up of diverticulitis in November 2013. I was treated at home with Cipro and Flagyl. I had a flare up in October 2014 and was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with acute diverticulitis with paracolic abscess and given IV fluids and antibiotics. I was so ill. I was discharged after five days. Six weeks on I think I am experiencing another flare up, albeit mild. I have been prescribed Cipro, am now terrified of being hospitalized again and the thought of surgery.

Comment from: shadow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I am a 54 year old woman and was diagnosed with diverticulitis about a year ago. Since then I have had two hospital stays, 3 emergency room visits and six attacks at home with countless antibiotics and lots of pain. I am off to see the surgeon next week. This is a horrible condition. I don't wish this on anyone!

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I am a 50 year old male. I can remember I was at the age of about 14 years old when I first had a diverticula attack. I did not have another attack until I was in my early twenties, I was diagnosed as having IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) until I had another attack. It was then when I had a colonoscopy, I was the diagnosed as having diverticulitis. Nice to know but I have never felt pain so much. I did read in an article that a female sufferer said that the pain was just like having her children. I am overweight so I suspect that this does not help. I do manage it with diet. I wish all other sufferers the best.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?