Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Published: May 27

I had an all over abdominal discomfort, but not actual pain. Frankly, I thought I had a bad case of gas. But the things I normally do to relieve gas (obviously) didn't help. I could not isolate the pain to one area. I was just bloated. I took some Alka seltzer and had a small amount of relief - not enough that the discomfort went away totally, just enough to fool me into thinking I was right about the gas. And then the rupture. The pain became VERY localized - it was like someone was stabbing me in one spot (lower left) with a very hot knife. It was excruciating! Worst pain EVER - made delivering my son naturally seem like a stubbed toe. And because I was young - only 36 - they went "exploring" my abdomen. I had NO history of any trouble at all. I lost nearly 3 inches of my sigmoid and had a colostomy due to the peritonitis. Fortunately for me, 6 weeks later I was able to be "put back together." I haven't had any recurring problems, but I am pretty good about taking fiber twice a day and trying not to strain to go to the bathroom. I also avoid white breads and try to get plenty of whole grains. It's been 8 years (wow - that is so hard to believe!) and I am fine.

Comment from: painfulpat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have had lower left quadrant pain for 6 weeks off and on, along with bloating, gas and lower back pain. My doctor ordered blood work, stool sample and pelvic ultrasound. So far everything has come back fine. I don't see my doctor until next week. Now the pain is also felt in my lower left side of my back. I feel very strongly that it is diverticulitis. I am getting nervous about waiting another week to see my doctor.

Comment from: Phil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I always remember suffering stomach cramps around the time of a bowel movement and never gave it a second thought. Last year, my first ever colonoscopy, revealed quite severe multiple diverticula in my sigmoid colon. I am convinced that symptoms are intensified when I eat oily (as in fried) food and also when I consume alcohol.

Comment from: jean626, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Mine all started about 2 weeks ago having extreme pain in my left lower side. For approximately 10 days I had urinary problems also, up 4 to 5 times a night. I went to my doctor and she thought it was possibly a kidney store or bladder infections. I had sonogram and urinalysis. Both came back clear. Three days ago, I started to have severe pain lower left side and heavy pressure across my bladder. I was scheduled for a colonoscopy the following Tuesday. I called my gastroenterologist with my symptoms who then cancelled my colonoscopy and immediately put me on the 2 antibiotics for the problem. I am still not feeling very good, but pain has subsided somewhat from what it was. I will have colonoscopy as soon as I recover.

Comment from: MISTER WAIT, 65-74 Male Published: May 13

Do not play the wait-and-see-what-happens game. I suffered for weeks with great pain. When I gave up and went to the emergency room after several tests, I had a very bad case of diverticulitis. It was two days after Christmas that I went to the hospital, as we had family stay over and I did not want to take the chance of being admitted. (I will never do that again!) They were ready to do surgery on me, but I bounced back and stayed in the hospital for four days. The doctor told me how lucky I was and that if it broke open I would have had only a half hour or so to get to the hospital and be operated on. I am 65 years old and will never wait again as I did with this incident. I lost more than 10 pounds in just the four days I was in the hospital. That was five months ago, and now I walk each day and eat smart. The doctor told me he would see me again in the future as I know it will never go away. Do whatever you must to and at least try your best and NEVER, EVER WAIT as I did. Take care, and stay healthy.

Comment from: kat x x x, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have been diagnosed since 2oo5. If I lift anything heavy or stretch too far I get another bout. Fiber in diet stops bouts caused by constipation. Corn on the cob is a no for me. Sometimes the pain is terrible, worse than labor pains, but when you get used to it you know how to get over a bout asap.

Published: May 27

I had a dull pain in my lower left abdomen for a couple of days, then I started to get chills (hot then cold). I began to run a fever. This lasted a couple of hours, then it was over. The next day when I went to see the doctor, most of the prior nights symptoms where gone except the pain in my lower left abdomen. After consult my family doctor, I had an MRI done and it was confirmed that I had Diverticulosis with a perforation.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?