Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: profj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I was quite a heavy drinker with 5 or more glasses of wine per evening and I stopped January 1st with the help of my doctor prescribing Antabuse. I experienced no adverse side effects or cravings. I have been perspiring a lot but I am also in menopause. I did change my diet in January to include homemade tropical salad to make up for the sweetness of the wine. Other than that I was really taken aback at the severity of the pain, was hospitalized for 2 nights. I'm fine now but I'm terrified of another attack.

Comment from: Cmerolr2, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

My symptoms of diverticulitis was pain on right side near my pelvic area. Discovered what it was finally through a CT Scan. I have been plagued with this on and off for eight years. Now I can focus on a sound recovery knowing my diagnosis now.

Comment from: wake up call, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was having pain on the left side, bloating and cramping. I didn't really know what was wrong. I just thought it was digestive issues. Then I experienced blood in my stool and went for a colonoscopy. That is when I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I am overweight, inactive and I don't drink anywhere near the amount of fluid I should. My diet is not so great either. Unfortunately this is permanent condition I believe and now I need to try and manage it better. This is a wake-up call. I am only 46. Time for a lifestyle change....

Comment from: DAWN, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

I usually experience diverticular attacks at three to five month intervals.

Published: June 24

I was just diagnosed with diverticulosis. I have pain across upper abdomen, which also radiates to lower back and right side. Originally thought to be gallbladder. When ultrasound ruled that out, I had CT scan which showed diverticulosis. Also have diarrhea which alternates at times with having trouble going. Have a lot of bloating and gas, as well.

Published: June 24

For some years, I had been prone to bouts of constipation, but I did increase fibre intake, etc. Eventually, I started getting bad pain in my left side, just under rib cage. My doctor arranged for me to have bowel enema, and it was the discovered, that I had Diverticular disease.

Published: June 24

Severe gas cramps were the beginning. I thought it was a stomach virus so I didn't go to doctor until I became very sick with high fever, pain and nausea. I was diagnosed in the emergency room after a cat scan. No problems for almost a year but recurred again with same cramp.

Published: June 20

The first recognized sign I had of acute diverticulitis was being awakened in the middle of the night thinking I was passing another kidney stone. A trip the next day to the doctor resulted in being sent to the emergency room and having emergency surgery. I later realized the sporadic diarrhea over the last four-five years was the first sign, but I had attributed it to ovarian cysts, even after a total hysterectomy.

Published: June 19

Pain and tenderness in the lower left abdomen that worsened towards evening, fever and chills, rapid pulse, loss of appetite, nausea.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?