Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: NiniG, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

Don't wait to make matters worse! My experience started with pain in my abdomen that seemed to get more intense over a 3 day period, I had recently started a new job and was at work when the pain became so intense it felt as though I was about to give birth. After going to restroom and finding blood in my urine, I immediately left work to run to Emergency room, there I was told I was being admitted after a CT scan for Diverticulitis. I waited 2 full days to have a drain placed in the soft tissue above my buttocks that during procedure the Doctor mistakenly pierced a pocket and the abscess he was attempting to drain then leaked into my body. I laid in recovery with chills and hospital staff at that time thought I was just cold, later to find I was going septic. I blacked out and when I came to, I was in ICU, with a brief moment of memory loss, I did not recognize my family standing before me or how I even arrived at the hospital. I was in hospital for 2 and a half weeks, had to have a blood transfusion, renal failure, and lost 23lbs in 1 week. Kidney's are better now, no more anemia, I was told that if I did not have a PICC line in my arm during procedure when I went septic I would have probably died. Now almost 2 years and 4 episodes later I am able to get up enough courage to have the surgery to remove the portion of the colon that is diseased. I will have my surgery end of this month, hoping all goes well.

Comment from: silverado, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I have been plagued with attacks for more than ten years. Initially I believe they were caused by eating anything that contained small seeds like tomatoes, buns with sesame seeds or poppy seeds, cucumbers, etc. I also found that corn and tomato soup seemed to bother me. I have been able to avoid a bowel resection -so far ,but after a week in the hospital and nothing to eat but ice chips, I have learned to not let it get out of hand. Sometimes just not eating for a few days will help the bowel fix itself. It is not caused by what you ate yesterday, but rather by what you ate last week. My symptoms usually start with excess gas and with what seems to be gas pains, then in a day or two or even a week to diarrhea at which point you better quit eating and see a doctor. Cipro and flagyl (metronidazole) seem to work for me - but of late I have to take some gravol a half hour or so before the flagyl to slow down the nausea. I also separate the two by four hours . After a few days and I get off the jello diet, the nausea lessens. Even though I am very careful about what I eat, I believe that lifting and straining or riding in a rough vehicle are not good for this condition. I have already broken the tendon that holds the foot up on my left leg, so take that side affect for cipro -seriously- and don't over-extend any part of your body. -cheers!

Comment from: michael, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

Yesterday I suffered a rectal bleed that was quite severe and carried on over several hours. I suffered something like this four years ago, and after being examined was told I have diverticulitis. I have not had another attack since then until yesterday.

Comment from: DeeDee, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 01

I was just diagnosed with diverticulitis, and I have been in bad pain on my right side, like something was stuck. I thought it was gas, so went to the doctor, who did an ultrasound, MRI, and X-Ray – they found nothing. I gave myself an enema, and whatever was lodged, moved to my left side. I took another enema – and bingo – no more pain. That was back in November of 2012.

Comment from: Rosa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Beginning in 1997 I started having "food poisoning" every few months. There'd be chills, vomiting, loose BMs, and cramps not unlike labor pains. In 2002 ended up in ER diagnosed with appendicitis. Awoke from emergency surgery being told part of my colon and ileum had been removed as it had ruptured. Dr. said I was lucky because of my young age (47) that he was able to reconstruct my bowel and wouldn't need colostomy bag. But I have multiple pockets with "severe twisting" on my remaining left side colon that causes flare ups that range from mini-flu symptoms to major pain. These bad bouts feel like a bear is squeezing me around my ribcage. Got to skip the gummy candy, popcorn, pop, junk food. Drink plenty of water and herbal teas. Peppermint and Chamomile teas are best. It's easier on your system to eat frequent, smaller meals/snacks than heavy meals. Herbal supplements help. Do your homework re which are effective. This is a lifelong battle like a tightrope walk.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?