Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

In my early 50s I was told I had diverticulosis. I had several small flare-ups over the next few years, usually when I got off my strict fiber diet. Last summer I had a full blown attack with extreme pain in my left side just below my ribs. I went to the emergency room and they confirmed diverticulitis and put me on Cipro and Flagyl. This helped and in a few days I felt great. Problem was that 2 weeks after the medicines it came back again and again and again. I have now been fighting this up and down routine for 9 months; on medicines, off medicines and back on medicines. I never had diarrhea or constipation. I always had regular daily bowel movements (BMs), I still have regular BMs but they are smaller and do not seem to be as much as before. I have lost over 20 lb. during this battle and much of my muscle tone has gone despite the fact that I constantly work out. I don't want to take the medicines anymore as I am very concerned about the muscle and ligament damage that can result. I am taking probiotics daily now and will fast the next few days to clear it up. I just hope it doesnt flare up again.

Comment from: Warran, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had a pretty bad cold, was not feeling well at all, and fatigued. I started to feel a dull central pain in my abdomen and tried Gas-X, a laxative, but nothing worked after five days of the dull pain. I went to my doctor, was diagnosed with diverticulitis, and did the Cipro and Flagyl. I'm on my second day of the medicines and it is getting better, much better than the pain I felt for two or three days. It just amazes me how you have a really good diet, fruits and vegetables every day, with physically demanding job and this still hits you. By everything I've read I need to increase fiber.

Comment from: susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I think I have diverticulitis. I had a colonoscopy in August, 2014 because I was bleeding from the back passage; they did find these pockets and I was told I had diverticulitis. The only real symptoms I suffer with is a burning sensation from my back passage and my stool is not sausage like but more like soft stone like in shape, and I do have anxiety and was told people with anxiety are more prone to this problem. I am really over this and I wish I could find which foods can trigger a flare up, I think I have flare ups at least two times a week.

Comment from: SusieQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

For the last 7 years, I have experienced diverticulitis attacks frequently. I originally thought I must have developed an allergy to seedless watermelon. Then I learned it wasn't the watermelon but the tiny seedless seeds. Okra has brought it on, as has almonds. I keep a food diary, but they have told me it is okay to eat nuts, but no more. I love seeds and nuts. It usually starts with a bout of diarrhea and then the next week, the cramps on my left side and fever with chills. After it gets going, every bit of me hurts and I do think the cramps are similar to childbirth. I have now been on antibiotics for a week with a no food/soft food diet. Not much improvement. After the attacks started, I had a colonoscopy and during attacks they keep ultra-sounding my colon. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Tomorrow I am returning to my doctor to discuss a resectioning.

Comment from: Saklarian, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

The pain of diverticulosis is the worst pain I've ever been through. About 3 months ago I woke up with the worst pain on my lower left side of my abdomen. Just like many others, I also thought it was gas. I took a trip to the emergency room (ER) and was taken to be given a CT scan. At 19 years old I was diagnosed with diverticulosis. I took the antibiotics and all is now well. Sometimes I still feel pain there, but not as much as I did those 2 days.

Comment from: TinaMarie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I"ve had irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and diverticulosis for many years and just this week I really, literally thought I was dying. The pain of the diverticulitis was so severe that I passed out. Usually, if the pain gets that severe I also vomit, just can"t handle the pain at this point. But, one thing I have noticed this time was that the week before I had a medical procedure done that required full sedation, and lots of Vicodin the following days to get over the pain. Two days later my lower back went out and I went into major muscle spasms, which resulted in a trip by ambulance to the emergency room (ER). Again, Vicodin to help through the pain for 1 more day. That"s when the diverticulitis started, and I"m convinced the Vicodin was the culprit, in this case. My intestines seem not to handle this high potent pain medication too well, and that"s what started the diverticulitis.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?