Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: jean626, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Mine all started about 2 weeks ago having extreme pain in my left lower side. For approximately 10 days I had urinary problems also, up 4 to 5 times a night. I went to my doctor and she thought it was possibly a kidney store or bladder infections. I had sonogram and urinalysis. Both came back clear. Three days ago, I started to have severe pain lower left side and heavy pressure across my bladder. I was scheduled for a colonoscopy the following Tuesday. I called my gastroenterologist with my symptoms who then cancelled my colonoscopy and immediately put me on the 2 antibiotics for the problem. I am still not feeling very good, but pain has subsided somewhat from what it was. I will have colonoscopy as soon as I recover.

Comment from: MISTER WAIT, 65-74 Male Published: May 13

Do not play the wait-and-see-what-happens game. I suffered for weeks with great pain. When I gave up and went to the emergency room after several tests, I had a very bad case of diverticulitis. It was two days after Christmas that I went to the hospital, as we had family stay over and I did not want to take the chance of being admitted. (I will never do that again!) They were ready to do surgery on me, but I bounced back and stayed in the hospital for four days. The doctor told me how lucky I was and that if it broke open I would have had only a half hour or so to get to the hospital and be operated on. I am 65 years old and will never wait again as I did with this incident. I lost more than 10 pounds in just the four days I was in the hospital. That was five months ago, and now I walk each day and eat smart. The doctor told me he would see me again in the future as I know it will never go away. Do whatever you must to and at least try your best and NEVER, EVER WAIT as I did. Take care, and stay healthy.

Comment from: kat x x x, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have been diagnosed since 2oo5. If I lift anything heavy or stretch too far I get another bout. Fiber in diet stops bouts caused by constipation. Corn on the cob is a no for me. Sometimes the pain is terrible, worse than labor pains, but when you get used to it you know how to get over a bout asap.

Published: May 27

I had a dull pain in my lower left abdomen for a couple of days, then I started to get chills (hot then cold). I began to run a fever. This lasted a couple of hours, then it was over. The next day when I went to see the doctor, most of the prior nights symptoms where gone except the pain in my lower left abdomen. After consult my family doctor, I had an MRI done and it was confirmed that I had Diverticulosis with a perforation.

Comment from: kara g, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have diverticulosis. It took 3 CT scans to find them and they are as big as light bulbs. The openings are not visible on colonoscopy either. I have had frequent bouts of pain relieved with flagyl. I cannot eat nuts, which I love. I started on a new heart medication which I need but which has upset my bowel and my reflux. I can't win but am not constipated now.

Comment from: Jan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

A year ago I was having severe pain, such as cramping in my lower left side of my abdomen, mucus in my bowel movements and some bleeding. I ended up having a colonoscopy to find out I had 13 cysts that had to be removed and that I had diverticulitis.

Comment from: arlissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

in November I had a full stomach an bloating, when I pressed on my upper left side I could feel something. a trip to the er an a ct scan found a lump on my pancreas a enlarged spleen an gallstone in the neck of my gall bladder,and diverticullits. i have had on surgery for the spleenectomy an distail pancrectomy. i just had a colon scope an they plan to remove about a a foot of my intestines and colon it is bad on inside and out..iv always been a bit heavy, but usually in good health after 40 it all goes..good luck to any one who needs help dealing with any condition ,it is so mentally draining

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?