Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: Dolores, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have had diverticulitis for about four years and have been hospitalized twice. I have just had an attack that lasted for a week. I felt sick, pains and loose bowel movements, it has left me feeling a little weak.

Comment from: Just like mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My first symptom of diverticula attack was terrible pain during a bowel movement. I had to do Lamaze breathing. Then I sweated profusely. I then blacked out. My mother who is 90 blacks out at times too, but she is smart enough to lie on the floor (not me; fell and hit my head, and back).

Comment from: Diverticulitis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

With diverticula attack I get pain in my lower back almost to the butt, pain on the left side, diarrhea and 101 temperature.

Comment from: sarahv.51, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

On Saturday afternoon my brother said to me 'You are getting a huge boil under your arm pit.' I had no idea until he said that and about an hour later it started to hurt a little. By Sunday morning I was in so much pain but my boyfriend thought I was just being a baby! Sunday night my arm was hurting so bad, I knew I was going to have trouble sleeping and so I did. I woke up at 2 am sweating and had the chills. My armpit was in so much pain I really couldn't move it without wanting to cry. I was running a fever so I took an Advil to take the fever down (and it did) but I told my boyfriend I am going to the emergency room (ER). At the ER they did an ultrasound and blood tests and told me that it was cellulitis. They gave me Tylenol for the pain and antibiotics, which I was directed to take 3 times a day 3 at a time for ten days and to go back to the ER in 48 hours for them to check it out and see if it has gotten worse.

Comment from: Giddy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Diverticula attack gave me a pain worse than labor. It felt like my whole body was in some type of shock and if you touched me I would break into pieces.

Comment from: phoneguy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I just had my first and hopefully last bout with diverticulitis. I thought it was muscular abdomen pains or side effects of a BCG treatment and numbed it with Advil, but it came back. By the third day I went to my urologist and he sent me straight to the emergency room. I had a contrast CT scan of the abdomen done and was diagnosed. Within 12 hours of taking Cipro and Flagyl, the pain stopped. I am to take the medicines for the next 14 days.

Comment from: Mike, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 34. The diverticula attacks started when I was about 30. Once a year I would get severe spasms (minutes apart), run a fever, and lie in bed for 2 days, and then it would pass. Now I'm a couple years older, it is lasting like 4 to 6 days at a time, around every 3 months. It seems to be triggered when I overeat, drink a lot of soda, or eat fast food; and yeah, I trigger it and bring it on myself, which I am trying not to do anymore. I was diagnosed with it in the emergency room (ER) through CAT scan. I never went and saw a specialist after. I don't throw up, even though I am nauseated sometimes, but it always passes and the one time I went to the ER, they didn't keep me because all my bloodwork was fine. It's awful, but I am pretty sure a lot of my suffering is from being overweight, with my stomach pulling down on my abdomen all the time; and my diet. If I fixed these things, it would probably happen less. My bowels have never been normal my whole life.

Comment from: paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

In my early 50s I was told I had diverticulosis. I had several small flare-ups over the next few years, usually when I got off my strict fiber diet. Last summer I had a full blown attack with extreme pain in my left side just below my ribs. I went to the emergency room and they confirmed diverticulitis and put me on Cipro and Flagyl. This helped and in a few days I felt great. Problem was that 2 weeks after the medicines it came back again and again and again. I have now been fighting this up and down routine for 9 months; on medicines, off medicines and back on medicines. I never had diarrhea or constipation. I always had regular daily bowel movements (BMs), I still have regular BMs but they are smaller and do not seem to be as much as before. I have lost over 20 lb. during this battle and much of my muscle tone has gone despite the fact that I constantly work out. I don't want to take the medicines anymore as I am very concerned about the muscle and ligament damage that can result. I am taking probiotics daily now and will fast the next few days to clear it up. I just hope it doesnt flare up again.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?