Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?

Comment from: susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I think I have diverticulitis. I had a colonoscopy in August, 2014 because I was bleeding from the back passage; they did find these pockets and I was told I had diverticulitis. The only real symptoms I suffer with is a burning sensation from my back passage and my stool is not sausage like but more like soft stone like in shape, and I do have anxiety and was told people with anxiety are more prone to this problem. I am really over this and I wish I could find which foods can trigger a flare up, I think I have flare ups at least two times a week.

Comment from: SusieQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

For the last 7 years, I have experienced diverticulitis attacks frequently. I originally thought I must have developed an allergy to seedless watermelon. Then I learned it wasn't the watermelon but the tiny seedless seeds. Okra has brought it on, as has almonds. I keep a food diary, but they have told me it is okay to eat nuts, but no more. I love seeds and nuts. It usually starts with a bout of diarrhea and then the next week, the cramps on my left side and fever with chills. After it gets going, every bit of me hurts and I do think the cramps are similar to childbirth. I have now been on antibiotics for a week with a no food/soft food diet. Not much improvement. After the attacks started, I had a colonoscopy and during attacks they keep ultra-sounding my colon. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Tomorrow I am returning to my doctor to discuss a resectioning.

Comment from: Saklarian, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

The pain of diverticulosis is the worst pain I've ever been through. About 3 months ago I woke up with the worst pain on my lower left side of my abdomen. Just like many others, I also thought it was gas. I took a trip to the emergency room (ER) and was taken to be given a CT scan. At 19 years old I was diagnosed with diverticulosis. I took the antibiotics and all is now well. Sometimes I still feel pain there, but not as much as I did those 2 days.

Comment from: TinaMarie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I"ve had irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and diverticulosis for many years and just this week I really, literally thought I was dying. The pain of the diverticulitis was so severe that I passed out. Usually, if the pain gets that severe I also vomit, just can"t handle the pain at this point. But, one thing I have noticed this time was that the week before I had a medical procedure done that required full sedation, and lots of Vicodin the following days to get over the pain. Two days later my lower back went out and I went into major muscle spasms, which resulted in a trip by ambulance to the emergency room (ER). Again, Vicodin to help through the pain for 1 more day. That"s when the diverticulitis started, and I"m convinced the Vicodin was the culprit, in this case. My intestines seem not to handle this high potent pain medication too well, and that"s what started the diverticulitis.

Comment from: Viqui, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was woken up very early last Sunday morning with severe spasms in my upper abdomen, they lasted about 10 seconds each time. My husband went out and got me an antispasmodic which helped marginally, but first thing on Monday I went to see my general physician who sent me straight to hospital to see a surgeon. I didn"t have a temperature but my white blood cell count was up. I have just been diagnosed with diverticulitis, am on antibiotics, and am having a colonoscopy next week. I am an active 49 year old woman who eats well and exercises regularly. I am glad I caught it in time!

Comment from: ncaaron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 46 year old male, 4 months ago I had severe pain in my right and lower left quadrant abdomen, pain like I had never felt. I admitted myself to the hospital that day and had a CT scan and exam and was told I had diverticulitis. I spent 4 days in the hospital with a 103 to 104 degree temperature, extreme pain, and nausea. The worst 4 days ever, so I thought. I was released from the hospital yesterday after 3 days with diverticulitis again. This time it was only in my lower left quadrant but the pain was twice as worse as last time (and that is saying something, I felt like I was being cut open with a knife) that I had to call an ambulance because there was no way I could drive myself this time. This time I also had extreme gas and bloating which I did not experience the first time. I also did not experience such a high fever as last time. Diverticulitis is a miserable disease to have, now I have to just watch what I eat better, drink more water, and stay away from popcorn, and nuts which I love. I have a feeling this disease will rear its ugly head again no matter what my diet is. I will be getting a colonoscopy next week so I will see what the future brings. I understand all your pains, I wish you all the best with this disease.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?