Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes

What are the causes of your diverticulitis?

Comment from: david, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Today after a few days of severe abdominal pain I went to the emergency room. I had my basic metabolic panel then CBC and differential, then CT abdominal pelvis with contrast, differential, ECG 12 lead, ECG physical documentation, insert peripheral IV, urinalysis, urinalysis, chemical analysis and urine microscopic. Result is diverticulosis. I went with symptoms of severe abdominal pain passing of blood and constant diarrhea. What shocked me most is that I have a high fiber diet and always have soft stools and am very regular. Having read everything about this disease I ponder on how I have it, I don't go to doctors and know my body very well, this was a good call for me I just can't think what to do to change my diet as I eat lots of fruit and vegetables with small amounts of meat if any. Let's hope the antibiotics work and this is the end of this chapter. I'm just grateful this is all it was and surgery was not needed. And I must stop thinking I'm 20 years younger than I am.

Comment from: Miss Sicky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 44 years old and will be undergoing a bowel resection for diverticular disease within the next 6 weeks. I"ve had problems for the past 5 years, suffering from irritable bowel, antibiotic colitis and a ruptured bowel from a colonography (CT version of colonoscopy about 5 months ago. Since then, my diverticulosis has gone from mild to advanced and even described as aggressive. All I can say is that although I"m not crazy about having the surgery, I will be happy not to be in pain every day. And if any doctor tries suggesting a colonograpy with the presence of diverticular disease, get a second opinion!

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

The only change in my diet that I believe led to my first ever episode of diverticulitis was Plexus Slim!

Comment from: Zhen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had terrible "belly aches" since I was a child. My Mother did not believe in cold cereal for breakfast. I ate eggs or pancakes mostly. She also thought it best to cook canned vegetables 20 minutes, so I got little fiber. My first diverticular attack was at 18 years of age. I was hospitalized on antibiotics and liquids for two weeks at the age of 32, then 37. They told me at the time my surgery was elective. I had terrible constipation problems and pain for years. At age 53 I decided to have surgery. The surgeons, after testing, wanted to do it immediately, but my daughter was getting married in a month, and I chose to hold off until right after the wedding. A week and a half later, with excruciating pain, I was rushed to the emergency room. My intestine had ruptured. They told me if I had waited another hour to get there I would have been dead. My surgeon had to cut me wide open and remove my entire large intestine, and clean me out because peritonitis was setting in. He was remarkable, he re-attached my small intestine to my colon and I did not even have to wear a bag.

Comment from: Annie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I developed voluminous hemorrhages, hemoglobin dropped from 11.7 to 4 requiring four transfusions. I have had no former problem other than chronic diarrhea, treated for 2 years now diagnosed with diverticulosis. I am 83 years of age, frightened and looking for suggested treatment plans. I have been on low fiber diet for 2 years prior to this development. Where is the balance!

Comment from: lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 62 and never had problem with my stomach. After six days straight of constant diarrhea, I went to a doctor's office for results of blood work and passed out in his office from dehydration. I was taken to the emergency room and then admitted. CAT scan showed diverticulitis. I had four days of liquids, then jello and soup. I was given IV antibiotics plus Flagyl pills. It's three weeks now, my stomach still rumbles after I eat and I am exhausted.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?