Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes

What are the causes of your diverticulitis?

Comment from: Miami Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

In 2008 I had a colonoscopy and was congratulated because no polyps were found. I did have diverticulosis and had no understanding of what that meant. I was active with a healthy diet and when I got increasing abdominal pain in 2011 I called my doctor. He asked if my appendix had been removed. I said no and he sent me to the hospital. There I was diagnosed with diverticulitis, given antibiotics and sent home with prescriptions for Cipro and Flagyl (10 days). After taking same I felt much better. My attack occurred after eating a box of crackers with poppy seeds. Now there is a debate, some doctors say it doesn't matter what you eat, others say avoid nuts and seeds but eat high fiber. The catch is that high fiber foods are difficult to digest, so if you are having a flare up you should not eat high fiber foods and fruit. Allow your bowels to rest and heal first. Probiotics are not a cure but they support colon/abdominal health, especially if you take antibiotics. I had additional flare ups in 2013, 2014 and 2015. I decided to have the surgery as I had lost a lot of weight (I was small to begin with) and was in a lot of pain and did not want to perforate. It is just 3 weeks since my surgery and I am feeling so much better. Eating fish and poultry, I can now tolerate salad and green vegetables. My advice is, each person is different, so if you aren't having flare ups maintain a healthy (high fiber, low grease) diet with exercise but if you are having repeated infections contact an experienced highly skilled surgeon and schedule your operation.

Comment from: miggins, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I'm experiencing a second diverticulitis attack; first due to reaction to naproxen prescribed after hip surgery 3 years ago, now same problem with Ibuprofen, taken daily post-surgery for broken wrist. Last time I ended up hospitalized five days, no food or water for four, on IV antibiotics, morphine, etc. It was horrible, but I didn't need surgery. This time, I'm trying clear liquids, first three days, then low fiber, but it came back, so now on second day clear liquids. How long!

Comment from: david, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Today after a few days of severe abdominal pain I went to the emergency room. I had my basic metabolic panel then CBC and differential, then CT abdominal pelvis with contrast, differential, ECG 12 lead, ECG physical documentation, insert peripheral IV, urinalysis, urinalysis, chemical analysis and urine microscopic. Result is diverticulosis. I went with symptoms of severe abdominal pain passing of blood and constant diarrhea. What shocked me most is that I have a high fiber diet and always have soft stools and am very regular. Having read everything about this disease I ponder on how I have it, I don't go to doctors and know my body very well, this was a good call for me I just can't think what to do to change my diet as I eat lots of fruit and vegetables with small amounts of meat if any. Let's hope the antibiotics work and this is the end of this chapter. I'm just grateful this is all it was and surgery was not needed. And I must stop thinking I'm 20 years younger than I am.

Comment from: Miss Sicky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 44 years old and will be undergoing a bowel resection for diverticular disease within the next 6 weeks. I"ve had problems for the past 5 years, suffering from irritable bowel, antibiotic colitis and a ruptured bowel from a colonography (CT version of colonoscopy about 5 months ago. Since then, my diverticulosis has gone from mild to advanced and even described as aggressive. All I can say is that although I"m not crazy about having the surgery, I will be happy not to be in pain every day. And if any doctor tries suggesting a colonograpy with the presence of diverticular disease, get a second opinion!

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

The only change in my diet that I believe led to my first ever episode of diverticulitis was Plexus Slim!

Comment from: pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have had diarrhea for almost a month and I am hurting in my lower back and up my left side. I went to the emergency room a few years back and it was constipation. Then I was told I had diverticulitis. I have not been bothered with it too much. I was wondering if anyone had diarrhea this long.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?