Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes

What are the causes of your diverticulitis?

Comment from: david, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Today after a few days of severe abdominal pain I went to the emergency room. I had my basic metabolic panel then CBC and differential, then CT abdominal pelvis with contrast, differential, ECG 12 lead, ECG physical documentation, insert peripheral IV, urinalysis, urinalysis, chemical analysis and urine microscopic. Result is diverticulosis. I went with symptoms of severe abdominal pain passing of blood and constant diarrhea. What shocked me most is that I have a high fiber diet and always have soft stools and am very regular. Having read everything about this disease I ponder on how I have it, I don't go to doctors and know my body very well, this was a good call for me I just can't think what to do to change my diet as I eat lots of fruit and vegetables with small amounts of meat if any. Let's hope the antibiotics work and this is the end of this chapter. I'm just grateful this is all it was and surgery was not needed. And I must stop thinking I'm 20 years younger than I am.

Comment from: Pam M., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I just got prescribed Cipro and Flagyl after a day in the emergency room with diverticulitis. After first day on the two medicines I woke up extremely nauseous. I am pretty sure it's the Flagyl as I have tolerated Cipro before.

Comment from: Cassy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

This is so helpful. Seems I get very little from my hospital or doctor. I have had 3 bouts of diverticulitis, where I have been hospitalized. They send me home with metronidazole and cephalexin which both send me in a downward spiral in my mind.

Comment from: pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have had diarrhea for almost a month and I am hurting in my lower back and up my left side. I went to the emergency room a few years back and it was constipation. Then I was told I had diverticulitis. I have not been bothered with it too much. I was wondering if anyone had diarrhea this long.

Comment from: Miss Sicky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 44 years old and will be undergoing a bowel resection for diverticular disease within the next 6 weeks. I"ve had problems for the past 5 years, suffering from irritable bowel, antibiotic colitis and a ruptured bowel from a colonography (CT version of colonoscopy about 5 months ago. Since then, my diverticulosis has gone from mild to advanced and even described as aggressive. All I can say is that although I"m not crazy about having the surgery, I will be happy not to be in pain every day. And if any doctor tries suggesting a colonograpy with the presence of diverticular disease, get a second opinion!

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

The only change in my diet that I believe led to my first ever episode of diverticulitis was Plexus Slim!

Comment from: Zhen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had terrible "belly aches" since I was a child. My Mother did not believe in cold cereal for breakfast. I ate eggs or pancakes mostly. She also thought it best to cook canned vegetables 20 minutes, so I got little fiber. My first diverticular attack was at 18 years of age. I was hospitalized on antibiotics and liquids for two weeks at the age of 32, then 37. They told me at the time my surgery was elective. I had terrible constipation problems and pain for years. At age 53 I decided to have surgery. The surgeons, after testing, wanted to do it immediately, but my daughter was getting married in a month, and I chose to hold off until right after the wedding. A week and a half later, with excruciating pain, I was rushed to the emergency room. My intestine had ruptured. They told me if I had waited another hour to get there I would have been dead. My surgeon had to cut me wide open and remove my entire large intestine, and clean me out because peritonitis was setting in. He was remarkable, he re-attached my small intestine to my colon and I did not even have to wear a bag.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?