Patient Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes

What are the causes of your diverticulitis?

Comment from: nyzki, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had been having a stabbing pain that went from my lower belly to my lower back. It was the worst pain that I had ever experienced. I ended up in the emergency room. Blood and urine tests were taken. My urine was fine. My blood test did show that my white cell count was a little high. I was then given a CT scan which showed that I had diverticulitis. I was prescribed a pain medication Percocet and two antibiotics Cipro and Flagyl. I have been on the antibiotics for a few days now. I still have mild pain. But, it is better than what I was experiencing. My doctor did tell me that I needed to add more fiber to my diet. I am working on adding that to my diet. I just hope that this will correct the problem. I do not want to have surgery or any future reoccurrences.

Comment from: R355, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had gallbladder surgery on March 19, and after 3 weeks I had a colonoscopy. I was told I had severe case of diverticulitis. All the doctor told me was to take Miralax every day and take Metamucil. I'm still in so much pain. I bloat up after I eat! I'm drinking lots of water and not had sodas. No burger, fries and such. The doctor never really told me what to eat. I just really am so miserable!

Comment from: willow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had diverticulitis for about four years now, I keep a prescription of antibiotics on hand with my doctor's blessing, especially if I am going on holiday. I keep myself fit with exercise, and consider that I am reasonably healthy, as I have arthritis and ankylosing spondylosis (AS). I am a vegetarian but do eat fish occasionally. I experiment with food and have found that I cannot eat seeds of any kind, I have a flare up right now caused I believe by fresh figs. It is the season. Strawberries, blackberries and raspberries are also out, so summer season is not kind to me. Hope this helps anyone recently diagnosed.

Comment from: Zhen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had terrible "belly aches" since I was a child. My Mother did not believe in cold cereal for breakfast. I ate eggs or pancakes mostly. She also thought it best to cook canned vegetables 20 minutes, so I got little fiber. My first diverticular attack was at 18 years of age. I was hospitalized on antibiotics and liquids for two weeks at the age of 32, then 37. They told me at the time my surgery was elective. I had terrible constipation problems and pain for years. At age 53 I decided to have surgery. The surgeons, after testing, wanted to do it immediately, but my daughter was getting married in a month, and I chose to hold off until right after the wedding. A week and a half later, with excruciating pain, I was rushed to the emergency room. My intestine had ruptured. They told me if I had waited another hour to get there I would have been dead. My surgeon had to cut me wide open and remove my entire large intestine, and clean me out because peritonitis was setting in. He was remarkable, he re-attached my small intestine to my colon and I did not even have to wear a bag.

Comment from: Annie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I developed voluminous hemorrhages, hemoglobin dropped from 11.7 to 4 requiring four transfusions. I have had no former problem other than chronic diarrhea, treated for 2 years now diagnosed with diverticulosis. I am 83 years of age, frightened and looking for suggested treatment plans. I have been on low fiber diet for 2 years prior to this development. Where is the balance!

Comment from: lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 62 and never had problem with my stomach. After six days straight of constant diarrhea, I went to a doctor's office for results of blood work and passed out in his office from dehydration. I was taken to the emergency room and then admitted. CAT scan showed diverticulitis. I had four days of liquids, then jello and soup. I was given IV antibiotics plus Flagyl pills. It's three weeks now, my stomach still rumbles after I eat and I am exhausted.

Comment from: glenn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I have frequent diarrhea along with excessive gas.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?
Diverticulitis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?