Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: crampy no more, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had diverticulitis a year ago. I was treated with oral Cipro and Flagyl which was very hard to keep down on a clear liquid diet when you"re already nauseated. A little tip. Take a saltine or 2 with the medicines. I haven"t had any more problems. I eat whatever I want except corn, especially popcorn. I had eaten a lot if it and those husks are hard and jagged and I"m quite sure they were the cause. My suggestion is to definitely take any form of whole corn or popcorn from your diet.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"ve had many bouts of diverticulitis. They used to only occur once every few years, but started occurring with increasing frequency (every few weeks), sometimes requiring antibiotics. I had a colonoscopy and the surgeon said if I recall correctly "In the old days we would operate if you had multiple flare ups requiring hospitalization or antibiotics, but we don"t do that so readily, because the risks of operating outweigh the benefits, or risks of doing nothing." She"s probably right, but I am left with having to endure flare up after flare up, sleepless, painful nights, and finally, if I can"t take it anymore, a long wait in emergency room, for antibiotics and a shot for pain, which generally wears off by the time I get home, but it is better than nothing. I can"t help but feel that my doctors are not taking this problem and the amount of pain it causes seriously, unless there really is no solution and nothing they can do about it. I understand doctors' reluctance to prescribe narcotics, is there no antispasmodic or anti-inflammatory or anything that might make this more livable!

Comment from: Joe(England), 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I have for some time now been suffering from constant abdomen pains and in spite of various ultrasounds, CT scans and colonoscopies, four years down the line I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis and no treatment offered other than a visit to a dietician! Just now I feel rather unwell, low level temperature and the usual pain. What I'm looking for from other fellow sufferers is advice on food, and perhaps, anything that may alleviate the worst of the condition.

Comment from: Kacy, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 29

The fatigue and chills came first in mid-June 2011. When I saw my family doctor, he pressed on my abdomen and located the area of diverticulitis. Because of that, I knew what it was when the pain hit that night. I am allergic to Flagyl, so my doctor treated it with large doses of antibiotics. It took three rounds of strong antibiotic pills, with a "booster" shot of antibiotics the second week. It took 3 weeks for me to recover and get back to work. I actually eat pretty healthy, take fiber supplements, and exercise, but that's no guarantee that I will be free of episodes. I've discovered that rich foods (e.g., like real ice cream or things that contain a lot of butter) will cause a round of painful diarrhea and nausea.

Comment from: Just Beachy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 2 years post operation from an emergent sigmoid colon resection, with reversal 4 months later. I am hoping it is safe to assume I no longer have diverticulitis.

Comment from: linlongo0457, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Friday before Labor Day weekend I had severe pain and diarrhea. On Sunday I had a fever thinking. I wound up in the hospital on Labor Day. A CT scan was ordered and it was determined I had diverticulitis. I am currently on 2 different antibiotics and feel somewhat better. I feel very weak, I'm on a liquid diet. I'm afraid to eat. It's only been a couple of days since I got sick; I thought I was taking good care of my self. As for my job it is very stressful. I will need to look for a less stressful position and to take control of my life.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?