Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: caregiver, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

My husband went on dialysis two years ago because of chronic kidney disease. We did not fully understand how important it was to take some of the medicines he was given. Phosphorus binders! By not taking them as he should, he developed a condition called calciphylaxis which resulted in a leg amputation. Please look this up and see what can happen if you do not take your binders. He is doing well now, but for one year he suffered.

Comment from: Rigby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

The best treatment for my diverticulitis has been Zithromax and Flagyl.

Comment from: joseph, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

I broke my left ankle playing soccer on Wednesday and am hoping I can get back and play soccer within 6 to 8 weeks. I had surgery.

Comment from: Milly29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 29 years old and was diagnosed with diverticulitis when I was 25. I have had many attacks and been in the hospital on antibiotics several times. The last time I was in the hospital was March 26, 2015 the day I had surgery for a colon resection. My doctors advised that I remain on a high fiber diet at 35 grams of fiber a day. I was also informed that I could now eat whatever I wanted including nuts, corn, seeds and all the other good stuff they said were the major cause of attacks and flare ups. Now 5 months later, I am having a flare up. I am not trying to go back to the hospital and relive those same things again. I am trying a liquid diet for now, and letting go of all the nuts! Supposedly diverticulitis only occurs if you are over 40, not so much in this case.

Comment from: Zephygal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have had several bouts of diverticulitis and have not had a doctor tell me to go on to a liquid diet though I did have treatment with antibiotics. I have found that buying Benefiber has proved helpful in avoiding flare ups for lengthy periods. I found that since it's tasteless I can add it to everything, soup, sauces, yogurt, etc., and increase fiber in that way since over processed foods are difficult to increase fiber content. I've spent hours in the bread and cereal aisles to try and find things with the absolute highest fiber to add to my diet. People that ate at my house had a high fiber diet and didn't even know it.

Comment from: Sharing the pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I just finished a bout of diverticulitis and went in for a colonoscopy. They found 22 diverticula, so time for major changes. I did the antibiotic regimen doing the three day liquid thing which really does help. I have heard some new data that treatment without antibiotics might be the new way to go so I think if you are looking into treatments this might be something to consider. Consult a physician who keeps up on the latest research.

Comment from: marylene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was treated for an abscess in the sigmoid colon in March. I thought I had a gastric problem but finally went to the emergency room when this abdominal pain didn't go away. I had never even considered diverticulitis. I didn't have many of the risk factors. I almost never eat popcorn or any of the 'bad' foods. I was sent home after 3 bags of antibiotics and was on Cipro/Flagyl for 10 days, with horrible side effects that made me lose even more weight because I had zero appetite. The doctor told me that it could have been because I'm skinny and I have a skinny colon, so I basically have to keep the pipes flowing. I take softeners regularly, and take magnesium citrate supplements twice a day. It is four months now and I am more or less back to normal, but I occasionally get a twinge on my left side. I have had to make some changes in my diet; fewer salads and roughage. I find that certain very gassy foods cause me to have a twinge in my left side, or if I overstuff myself. As for seeds, I never cared for popcorn and rarely ate corn because I find it hard to digest, so that's not much of a sacrifice. Fiber, prune juice and softeners and stomach enzyme supplements aren't such a big deal! The experience was so horrible and I was so sick, I would do anything to avoid that again!

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?