Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: Joe(England), 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I have for some time now been suffering from constant abdomen pains and in spite of various ultrasounds, CT scans and colonoscopies, four years down the line I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis and no treatment offered other than a visit to a dietician! Just now I feel rather unwell, low level temperature and the usual pain. What I'm looking for from other fellow sufferers is advice on food, and perhaps, anything that may alleviate the worst of the condition.

Comment from: Kacy, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 29

The fatigue and chills came first in mid-June 2011. When I saw my family doctor, he pressed on my abdomen and located the area of diverticulitis. Because of that, I knew what it was when the pain hit that night. I am allergic to Flagyl, so my doctor treated it with large doses of antibiotics. It took three rounds of strong antibiotic pills, with a "booster" shot of antibiotics the second week. It took 3 weeks for me to recover and get back to work. I actually eat pretty healthy, take fiber supplements, and exercise, but that's no guarantee that I will be free of episodes. I've discovered that rich foods (e.g., like real ice cream or things that contain a lot of butter) will cause a round of painful diarrhea and nausea.

Comment from: Just Beachy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 2 years post operation from an emergent sigmoid colon resection, with reversal 4 months later. I am hoping it is safe to assume I no longer have diverticulitis.

Comment from: linlongo0457, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Friday before Labor Day weekend I had severe pain and diarrhea. On Sunday I had a fever thinking. I wound up in the hospital on Labor Day. A CT scan was ordered and it was determined I had diverticulitis. I am currently on 2 different antibiotics and feel somewhat better. I feel very weak, I'm on a liquid diet. I'm afraid to eat. It's only been a couple of days since I got sick; I thought I was taking good care of my self. As for my job it is very stressful. I will need to look for a less stressful position and to take control of my life.

Comment from: Luvmyrott223, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had low abdominal pain for about 3 months but since I am 48 years old and premenopausal I thought it was just from that. On Valentine's evening 2012 I had such low left and right abdominal pain I couldn't stand up straight, the nausea was awful, chills, fever. I thought I had a stomach bug. My husband finally convinced me to go to the Emergency Room and after a CT Scan and pelvic ultrasound I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis and admitted. I spent 3 days on IV only (nothing by mouth not even ice chips) and strong antibiotics Cipro and Flagyl and yes morphine for such extreme pain I couldn't stand it. I improved and was given soft foods and sent home with instructions to eat low fiber diet, decaf only, no alcohol, no spicy foods and no heavy lifting. I was fine for almost a month but now have had my first flare up (severe pain, cramping, diarrhea, gas and low grade fever) so it's back to soft foods for me. I have yet to see the Gastric Doctor as it takes time to get an appointment but I'm going soon. Don't wait to see someone, don't try to sneak foods you can't have, keep a diary of what you eat and how you react to it. This is no disease to play around with. If it gets out of control the poisons released into your body can kill you (peritonitis). Be safe and well.

Comment from: Wanderer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I had excruciating pain and could hardly walk with the pain. I put it down to food poisoning, as there was associated diarrhea and gas. I put up with it too long before going to the hospital. I would suggest that sufferers get to a hospital at the first sign of symptoms. I've had kidney stones and diverticulitis, and I'd say this is up there with similar pain levels.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?