Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: Lainie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

This is my second episode of diverticulitis. A pre-cursor symptom for me was that several days before the acute episode, I had severe abdominal bloating; looking like I was 7 months pregnant! No pain yet. A couple of days later the pain started along with a mild fever, lack of appetite and fatigue. I went on a clear liquid diet for a day, followed by a day of bland. This didn't seem to help and I got very weak. I called my doctor's answering service and the doctor called in Flagyl and Cipro. I had also fainted, sweated heavily, and was white as a ghost! I got very nauseated from the Flagyl despite taking with a little food. So he then called in Phenergan suppositories which very quickly helped eliminate the awful nausea. Now I use the suppositories 20 minutes or so before I take my prescrition, giving it time to work beforehand. My diverticula are all in one area, the sigmoid colon. I may elect to have this surgery since I don't want to deal with this for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Dosydoe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Had been suffering abdominal pain, lower left quadrant for some 4 months, an ultrasound proved nothing. Finally diagnosed just before Christmas, two lots of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and pain killers and 2 weeks later I'm feeling much better with very little residual pain. Currently eating high fiber to help 'scour things through' and that appears to be helping also.

Comment from: garyp, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I got diagnosed last week with diverticulitis after having pain in my lower left abdomen and bloating. I was given levaquin and metronodazole the levaquin made me very depressed after only 3 days. Medication changed and making slow progress. What a lousy problem to have, also causing major groin and lower back pain which the doctor says is related and normal but still miserable. Seven days on the antibiotics and there is some minor improvement.

Comment from: Hepoberman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

Education. Knowing what to eat and when is the most important. Probiotics twice a day is very important. Never dehydrate. If there is old food in your gut, you got to get it out. Try milk of magnesia and lots of water before bed for a few days to flush out. Then remember what you did to get that way (probably high gluten and insoluble fiber) and don't do it again! Antibiotics should only be used to save your life, otherwise they make it worse.

Comment from: h.blower, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I suffer attacks and just eat little and drink plenty of water, although I have a hiatus hernia and mild gastritis, so cannot be sure what it is, but when I get a lump near my groin on the left side I know I will block, so I watch what I eat, fingers crossed I never get infection, I have had it years, so have learnt to manage it as much as possible.

Comment from: pg62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had mild case of Diverticulitis. I had lower abdominal pain in the hip area. It got worse to where the pain seemed to travel down to my knee area. I was quite surprised to find out it was Diverticulitis. My Dr prescribed Flagyl. It worked symptoms cleared up. It's been two years and no more problems so far.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I woke up with awe full pain in my lower left side of my back! Fever throwing up all day! Went to see my dr, he told me after a few test were ran it was diverticulitis! Put me on a med. Called avelox for a week! Hope it works!

Comment from: Joy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

When I had my first flare up, I was diagnosed with having an ovarian cyst. After a month of severe pain in the left lower abdomen, I finally convinced my GYN to do a hysterectomy. When he went in, he discovered that my colon was so infected that it was about to burst and a large abdominal growth. A general surgeon was called into the operating room. I was scheduled for surgery to remove part of my colon and place a colostomy bag. My GYN didn't think I needed that drastic surgery and I asked to go home and seek a second opinion. His started me on FLAGYL antibiotic. After a year of CT scans every 2 months, the ovarian cyst and abdominal growth were gone and I didn't have the hysterectomy. FLAYGL is a miracle drug to me.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?